Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 251 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Beautiful camera, even if it does look a little like the Nikon Df...
You say that like it's a bad thing!

Attached Images

01-26-2017, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #197
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

I doubt the KP arose from a similar motivation, though. Sharp edges and square planes are a styling aesthetic, but they aren't necessarily deliberately "retro". Thank heavens the KP has a smoother, less segmented appearance than the Df.
If I ever was to buy a Nikon, it would be a Df. Just sayin!
01-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's a small world - I won't mention my cousins in Wanganui and my wife's (ex-SA) uncle in Dunedin, unless things start getting silly
Small world indeed!
01-26-2017, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #199
Veteran Member

I'm actually liking this more and more. it doesn't have the deep buffer or fps that I'm used to with my other bodies I've owned, but it hits the rest of my wants and needs pretty good. I'll put hands on it to see what I think before pulling the trigger, and maybe wait for the 6 month price drop too.

01-26-2017, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #200
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
But this time Pentax product pages and at least one online shop claimed it is the successor to the K3 II, and they told the press the same thing
Yes, this is precisely the reason for the panic that ensued yesterday. It came from more than just forum members.. which made it appear that this was all they were going to offer -- that level of specifications. It is a nice camera, don't get me wrong, but is clearly not 'flagship' level.

But now, we have a post from the company itself (albeit on facebook) where they are stating this isn't the K-3 II replacement.

So now more waiting..

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
...and maybe wait for the 6 month price drop too.
The bane of Pentax. Many of us wait for the price drop.

That said, the K-3 II didn't travel that same path -- it was cheapest about a month or two after launch, then slowly grew in price. Even today, the price doesn't decrease. Instead, they toss in more junk to the bundle and call it a deal. (that is to say, don't expect a great drop in price)
01-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes, this is precisely the reason for the panic that ensued yesterday. It came from more than just forum members.. which made it appear that this was all they were going to offer -- that level of specifications. It is a nice camera, don't get me wrong, but is clearly not 'flagship' level.

But now, we have a post from the company itself (albeit on facebook) where they are stating this isn't the K-3 II replacement.
I can find nowhere that Ricoh Imaging USA said IN PRINT KP is the K-3 replacement. The press release (created by a third-party contractor) calls it "Heir to the K-3" - not 'The Heir' - not The Replacement - and that it "contains many K-3 features".

DPR, to be forgiving, misunderstood. To be less forgiving,

DPR is Fake News.
01-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #202
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can find nowhere that Ricoh Imaging USA said IN PRINT KP is the K-3 replacement. The press release (created by a third-party contractor) calls it "Heir to the K-3" - not 'The Heir' - not The Replacement - and that it "contains many K-3 features".

DPR is Fake News.
Adorama also posted it. https://www.adorama.com/g/new-pentax-kp

QuoteOriginally posted by from adorama website:
First Look: Pentax KP DSLR

After spending much of the last year focusing on its full-frame format sensor-based DSLR, Ricoh today announced the Pentax KP, an update of its flagship APS-sensor DSLR. The new model, which takes the place of the 2-year-old Pentax K-3 II in the Pentax brand lineup, features increases in its top ISO and a super-fast top electronic shutter speed, plus improved autofocus performance and Shake Reduction, and the welcome addition of built-in Wi-Fi.

01-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Imaging Resource didn't make that claim. They're the most trustworthy non-membership website.

Do we know Adorama didn't get that from DPR? Read the Press Release. It never says replacement - and neither does Ricoh.

I believe my eyes, not DPR.
01-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

DPR is Fake News.
As it's announced right after K3ii discontinued, that's a valid assumption. I guess people do not consider it in the same league/superior to K3ii though. And then again, Pentax has always used K+"number" for the flagship camera names.
01-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
As it's announced right after K3ii discontinued, that's a valid assumption. I guess people do not consider it in the same league/superior to K3ii though.
Where do you see the announcement K-3ll is discontinued? I'd like to see that - do you have a link*?

* EU says KP and K-3ll will be sold together until later this year, when K-3ll will be replaced.
01-26-2017, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #206
mee
Veteran Member

Imaging Resource didn't make that claim. They're the most trustworthy non-membership website.

Do we know Adorama didn't get that from DPR? Read the Press Release. It never says replacement - and neither does Ricoh.

I believe my eyes, not DPR.
DPR claim they got the information directly from Ricoh when they talked with them -- that they are only the messengers of the (now debunked) news.

The problem is a lot of people trust DPR (and Adorama). I think someone at Ricoh really screwed up communicating this information. DPR doesn't seem too bothered by it though.. no statement of contacting RI to get a response or lifting any fingers..
01-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"We firmly stand behind our statement" (even though we're the only review site making the claim)*

* and we stand behind touch screen and touch AF Menu choice that we showed, too.
01-26-2017, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You are welcome

DPR is Fake News.
Mate, you seem to be so consumed by your hatred of DPR that you're trying to deliberately shift the blame onto them, when in fact the evidence available is painting a different picture. There was an event earlier this month where the KP was introduced to the media and retailers. DPR says that at this event Ricoh claimed the KP to take the place of the K3 II at the top of the APS-C line-up. That is a pretty unambiguous statement. Furthermore, several local Ricoh Imaging press releases talked about it being an heir to the K3 etc., and Adorama, too, touted it as the K3's successor.

You can twist it whatever way you want, it is way more credible for Ricoh to have poorly communicated something (and god knows it's not the first time) than for DPR to inaccurately represent a pretty simple statement.
01-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #209
mee
Veteran Member

You are welcome
Thanks for asking the question! I'm glad we got a direct answer.
01-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are welcome

Mate, you seem to be so consumed by your hatred of DPR that you're trying to deliberately shift the blame onto them, when in fact the evidence available is painting a different picture. There was an event earlier this month where the KP was introduced to the media and retailers. DPR says that at this event Ricoh claimed the KP to take the place of the K3 II at the top of the APS-C line-up. That is a pretty unambiguous statement. Furthermore, several local Ricoh Imaging press releases talked about it being an heir to the K3 etc., and Adorama, too, touted it as the K3's successor.

You can twist it whatever way you want, it is way more credible for Ricoh to have poorly communicated something (and god knows it's not the first time) than for DPR to inaccurately represent a pretty simple statement.
Dude, don't lecture me. I've quoted that Press Release here many times today.

DPR is the only review site making this claim. As I wrote, to be forgiving, they misunderstood. To be less forgiving, they're Fake News.

I firmly stand behind my assessment.