Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #211
Veteran Member

I honestly can't understand what this camera's about, where it sits in the line up, why the ergonomics seem shot to pieces (this was Pentax strong point), the price . . . Who is this for? What is the point of this thing? All seems a bit peculiar.

01-26-2017, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DPR is the only review site making this claim.
Petapixel:

"Less than a day after photos and specs leaked onto the Web, Ricoh has officially announced its new Pentax KP DSLR. It’s a compact and weatherproof high-end successor to the K-3 that Ricoh says is perfect for outdoor photographers."
01-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I honestly can't understand what this camera's about, where it sits in the line up, why the ergonomics seem shot to pieces (this was Pentax strong point), the price . . . Who is this for? What is the point of this thing? All seems a bit peculiar.
May I suggest you try https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/338853-why-i-wont-buy-kp-4.html
01-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #214
Pentaxian

What do you dislike about the ergonomics??

01-26-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #215
mee
Veteran Member

I think they wanted to do something for the 60th anniversary of the AP (1957) and decided to use what they had available in terms of hardware to make it happen. This was planned at latest last year (as the firmware is version 1 in the EXIF of the sample KP photos on the RI website, and are also dated middle of december 2016)

It is also likely a testbed for the features we'll see in future cameras.. hopefully not the actual body though.
01-26-2017, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You say that like it's a bad thing!
I know the DF is a sharp camera as is the KP. Likely I will enjoy the slightly more "modern" ergonomics of the K3II but at least it had some shape to it and isn't a big bubble like the Canon's. I truly think they make UGLY equipment.

Can't wait to get my KP will be curious to see what camera I gravitate towards. I have a feeling that will be based on my needs at the time, what I want to shoot, what had battery and my mood.

I like the top LCD but can give on it, I like the looks and slightly less beefy size. But do wish for dual SD slots, hey I will use half the memory cards. I always mirror what I shoot on the K3II. Glad the flash is back though all and all, not enough reason to NOT purchase this as a nice camera to have as another body besides my K3II. Guess I put my money where my mouth was on this one.

Well done Pentax. Makes me wonder what the real K3II replacement will cost, my guess is 1500 or so. Shows what a bargain the current K3II is then, even without a flash. Not that I use a flash much but I do like it for fill. Other than that can't say it is missing too much.
01-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What do you dislike about the e rgonomics??
Looks A7-like, the flat top plate with shutter button and the front control wheel is weird. Have an A7r and the ergonomics suck. This looks similar.

Definitely not for me. I'll stick to the K-3/K-1 combo.

01-26-2017, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #218
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My take on it - travel, hiking, family photos/portraits, landscapes.

Not birds, birds in flight, fashion runway, sports - buffer is too small for the continuous shooting you would normally do in those photographic disciplines.

So, let's assume I am right for a moment - everyone here grizzles about Pentax AF not been good enough for BIF or high action sport. So, one has to assume that the serious or professional photographers in those disciplines are using systems other than Pentax. Generally observable evidence seems to support that.

Come back to the first part of the list - travel, hiking, family photos / portraits, landscapes. The KP seems well aimed at these activities. Small, lightish, buffer is sufficient for those activities. Offering tethering again for studio type work.

So, just maybe Ricoh has done some feedback research, found what 95% of people who buy their cameras use them for and then aimed a mid-level camera at that market.
01-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #219
Pentaxian

Looks A7-like, the flat top plate with shutter button and the front control wheel is weird. Have an A7r and the ergonomics suck. This looks similar.

Definitely not for me. I'll stick to the K-3/K-1 combo.
Neither of us has had an opportunity to try an actual one, so neither of us really knows anything. From appearance, it reminds me more of my Pentax Super Program, my favorite camera of all time.
01-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
My take on it - travel, hiking, family photos/portraits, landscapes.

Not birds, birds in flight, fashion runway, sports - buffer is too small for the continuous shooting you would normally do in those photographic disciplines.

So, let's assume I am right for a moment - everyone here grizzles about Pentax AF not been good enough for BIF or high action sport. So, one has to assume that the serious or professional photographers in those disciplines are using systems other than Pentax. Generally observable evidence seems to support that.

Come back to the first part of the list - travel, hiking, family photos / portraits, landscapes. The KP seems well aimed at these activities. Small, lightish, buffer is sufficient for those activities. Offering tethering again for studio type work.

So, just maybe Ricoh has done some feedback research, found what 95% of people who buy their cameras use them for and then aimed a mid-level camera at that market.
The price isn't mid-level. I just don't get this camera at all.
01-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #221
Pentaxian

In your opinion, what are the boundaries of "mid-level"???
01-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #222
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

ILC sales across the board are down, see the CIPA numbers for example.

Assuming the research, design and tooling costs are the same, or even increasing for each model, then to recoup these on lower camera production and sale numbers the price needs to rise.

Look at the prices of the Sonys and Fuji's now. Also what Nikon is trying to push their users to FF. Higher price, lower numbers but still recover costs and make a profit.

End of line sale cameras - of course this is a different story.
01-26-2017, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #223
mee
Veteran Member

Neither of us has had an opportunity to try an actual one, so neither of us really knows anything. From appearance, it reminds me more of my Pentax Super Program, my favorite camera of all time.
We all have a pretty good idea about our likes. Yet we don't all like Pentax Super Program shaped cameras. You do. There is NOTHING wrong with either stance.

The specs don't match with the price, however. Outside of the flip screen, and maybe the higher ISO performance, there is little to be happy about over the K-3 (not looking at the shell it is in).
01-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You say that like it's a bad thing!
Hmm...

Let's just say, without making further judgments, that the KP has cleaner, less busy lines and appurtenances.
01-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #225
Veteran Member

In your opinion, what are the boundaries of "mid-level"???
£600-£700 body only. Mind you the £ has fallen hard recently so this could be the new normal.