Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are limiteds being upgraded to WR?

The 40mm limited on the KP first look video was not a WR lens from what I read. .. but in the KP first look video it is shown attached to the weather sealed KP and seen in very wet conditions. Wondering if the limiteds are now being upgraded to WR as well...

Attached Images

01-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Most likely just an oversight by the crew making the video.
01-25-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nope, I hope they dried out that HD 40

The DA 20-40 HD Limited is WR though.

Got to say, the KP + HD40 is a really tidy looking package.
01-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Nope, I hope they dried out that HD 40

The DA 20-40 HD Limited is WR though.

Got to say, the KP + HD40 is a really tidy looking package.
The 20-40 will be going on the front of mine! Yes, it is a sharp looking camera.

01-25-2017, 11:08 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
The 40mm limited on the KP first look video was not a WR lens from what I read. .. but in the KP first look video it is shown attached to the weather sealed KP and seen in very wet conditions. Wondering if the limiteds are now being upgraded to WR as well...
You post an image with a play button in the middle of it... found myself trying to play the video and wondering why my mouse wasn't working.
01-26-2017, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Inherently, primes are less prone to dust and moisture as zooms, but youʻre correct in that the 40mm f/2.8 Pentax pancake limited is not rated as WR.

My guess is that the marketing agency wanted to really emphasize WR on the new KP (thus water droplets) while deemphasizing the lens (the smallest option being the 40mm pancake). Unfortunately, it is one of those advertising shots that needs an asterisk in 4 point font with a disclaimer. What I find bizarre is that the camera can only be pre-ordered presently without a kit lens. I know that makes the list price look more attractive, but it is sort of misleading, especially when pre-release marketing photos include either the 40mm prime or the 20-40mm zoom.
01-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
You post an image with a play button in the middle of it... found myself trying to play the video and wondering why my mouse wasn't working.

I took a screen shot of that video since it only shows for a few milliseconds in the beginning. But I hear you. Look at the picture you almost always will try and click to see the video seeing that Play button.
01-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just loaner equipment from Ricoh. Judging from the abuse many of the pre-release/preview K-1s received in some of the first look videos I guess Ricoh expects a certain number of them to get trashed.

01-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

The limiteds can take a drizzle. Not proper rain but that lens just has a few drops on it.
01-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Most likely just an oversight by the crew making the video.
Haha yea. Pretty funny! Though, as far as we know, that is not even a real functioning camera in that scene. Maybe its just a prop, with a prop 40mm, so they don't care if they get it wet.
Problem is someone might see this and do the same thing and then ruin their lens and possibly even their camera.
01-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Problem is someone might see this and do the same thing and then ruin their lens and possibly even their camera.
That's one way to increase sales volume
01-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it makes sense that the next time that Ricoh upgrades the optical formulas of the DA and FA Limiteds that they make them WR as well.