Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So this is something for x-mass or 2018 as development is still in early stage.
In the past we saw early mock-ups with no labels on them. This mock-up has all the switches and such labeled and they are telling us the full name. This leads me to believe the lens will be available in the next few months.

02-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #197
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
In the past we saw early mock-ups with no labels on them. This mock-up has all the switches and such labeled and they are telling us the full name. This leads me to believe the lens will be available in the next few months.
The placard by the lens says (tentative name). I think summer or later...

But I'd like it if you were correct.
02-24-2017, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #198
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This Japanese report has some Theta images of the booth if you like to look around..

[PY] CP+ 2017 LIVE REPORT - ???????????????????????????????? | ???????
02-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #199
Banned

Anything in the boot about.

- Q
- wg-m2
- wg-5

02-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Anything in the boot about.

- Q
- wg-m2
- wg-5
See Ricoh Imaging Puts on a Big Show at CP+ 2017 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com
02-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix 130AW to replace my Optio 90W. It should have been the WG 5, but its such a poor performer many sites refuse to even rate it. ANd it cost almost twice what I got the Nikon waterproof shockproof for.
02-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Who are these people who can tell who's using a prime and who's using a zoom?

In this poll only 18% of the participants identified the prime, which is pretty much the same as a random guess.
35mm find that prime. - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

If someone has some information that shows people can pick out primes I'd love to see it, but until they do that, I'm going with the best evidence I have, which is this poll, and it's logical conclusion that people can't tell the difference.
Wow I had no idea that poll existed!
There are some incredible threads that get lost in these forums...

I'd love to replicate that test at 300mm.
I just don't have 7 lenses that go to 300mm!

I don't even own 7 lenses!!

02-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Wow I had no idea that poll existed!
There are some incredible threads that get lost in these forums...

I'd love to replicate that test at 300mm.
I just don't have 7 lenses that go to 300mm!

I don't even own 7 lenses!!
I'd love to do it again at 50mm with my newly acquired SMC M 50 1.4 , 50 macro and possibly the DFA 50 1.4, but you really have to just give up an afternoon to do these things, and I really don't have a lot of afternoons I can just give up.

Especially not afternoons with good light. I tend to treasure those, especially this winter. There have been very few.
02-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd love to do it again at 50mm with my newly acquired SMC M 50 1.4 , 50 macro and possibly the DFA 50 1.4, but you really have to just give up an afternoon to do these things, and I really don't have a lot of afternoons I can just give up.

Especially not afternoons with good light. I tend to treasure those, especially this winter. There have been very few.
Truth.

I often make "promises" of doing tests with my gear, but more so find myself just enjoying those select days of nice weather and good lighting...

Like today - 72F and sunny forecast through the afternoon... Why am I at work? I should really take a half day.

My camera bag is just begging to be opened.

Especially right now, I'm trying to prep our garden for the season and start all my tomato and pepper seedlings for transplants this spring.
When I get only an hour of light after work I can squeeze in tilling the soil, mixing compost, firing up the grill and getting dinner on the table by the time my wife gets home. By then it's pitch black outside.

Can't wait for daylight savings...
02-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Someone recently posted a 50mm test using a bunch of older lenses, I think all of them were f1.4 or 1.7 max aperture jobs. Wasn't a blind "taste test" like Norm organized previously. If Norm were to actually round up some 50's, I'd hope that he would include the DA 50 1.8, just to toss in a cheap modern alternative. I'm sure he appreciates me suggesting more work for him to do for the good of the cause (tongue in cheek joke, as apparently I'm not always clear when I'm being funny)
02-24-2017, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Someone recently posted a 50mm test using a bunch of older lenses, I think all of them were f1.4 or 1.7 max aperture jobs. Wasn't a blind "taste test" like Norm organized previously. If Norm were to actually round up some 50's, I'd hope that he would include the DA 50 1.8, just to toss in a cheap modern alternative. I'm sure he appreciates me suggesting more work for him to do for the good of the cause (tongue in cheek joke, as apparently I'm not always clear when I'm being funny)
I do my best, but there's a limit to what I can accomplish. The day we shot the 35s, there was something going on with my Sigma 17-50, it simply wouldn't focus. It's never happened before or since, I have no idea what was going on. As a result it did poorly. If I were a professional tester, I would have reshot that test. But I'm just a guy. My tests will never be good enough for the picky folks, but quite often they confirm what I see, and let me know that it's not just me. Others see what i see. That being said, I know the testers at Imaging Resources go through the same types of issue and post comparative issues with problems like using different focal points etc. or needing many tests to produce the maximum image possible with a lens. They got a terrific D800 test when it first came out, but they admitted afterwards, it took them 7 tries to get it. So in a way it was a total misrepresentation. They showed the best image, but if they'd gone with what camera will give you the best image in one attempt, it wouldn't have been the D800.

In my tests, I get two points in focus, that are in focus on every image and I shoot each lens until I get those, sometimes manually focussing. IN another 35mm test, the SMC M 35 3.5 was the clear winner. but it took 20 exposures to get the winning shot, while other lenses produced their best image on the first shot, with no other lens taking more than 5 shots to get the two points I wanted in focus nice and sharp. So, winner or loser? It depends on how you define winning and losing.

Unfortunately, the more you know about a test, the more you understand it's limitations. And you always end up questioning, if you're not getting paid, if it was worth doing it. That test I referred to above was a complete disservice to the Tamron 17-50, but it also makes a valuable point.

I guess what I'm saying is, testing isn't as rewarding as you might suspect. A good test always makes you want to do a better test.
It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you're done.

Last edited by normhead; 02-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.
02-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
The innovation here , Ricoh will upload the model on their web-shop that grant a license for 3D printing the lens. This way, they won't have any inventory and anyone from anywhere can print a lens on demand. Customers may still have to order the glass and toolkit online, and mount the lens themselves according to IKEA style document.
02-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A great idea. Once you buy the half a million euro calibration equipment and spend 2 years in training, you'd be able to make your own lenses.
02-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A great idea. Once you buy the half a million euro calibration equipment and spend 2 years in training, you'd be able to make your own lenses.
And then he could make a proper clone of the Sigma Super-Wide II AF! Peace in our time!
02-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Well, considering how deceptive the blurred bars in the roadmap were, regarding the actual focal lenght of the final product, it could be also a 100-300/2,8, or a 200-400/4.

But I, too, guess it's a 70-300/5,6.