Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2017, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I hope Ricoh announced ahother High-End camera dslr at CP+. Not KP.
They won't just 2 lenses, maybe three. New GR in May and K3 II successor in September.

02-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #47
mee
Veteran Member

When interviewed at this upcoming CP+ tradeshow, If Ricoh attempt to state the KP body IS in fact the K-3 II replacement or there is no future in the K-3 II series, a lot of us are going to lose our grip... in that situation count on heads explodernating.

Further doom if nothing is released in September... haha.

Remember the meltdown Chevy Chase's character had in National Lampoons Summer Vacation when they got to Wallyworld and discovered the Park was closed? Those kinds of freakouts.. expect them if Ricoh say anything to the contrary of K-3 II replacement later this year.
02-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Ricoh's website describes it as follows: "PENTAX KP A mid-class digital SLR camera"
There's no reason to think the KP replaces the K3 series - the battery, shutter, (lack of) GPS, (lack of) top screen, autofocus, etc, etc...
Only the sensor is newer, which is to be expected, as it's a newer camera. The same thing happened with the Kx having a newer sensor than the K-7.
02-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #49
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Ricoh's website describes it as follows: "PENTAX KP A mid-class digital SLR camera"
There's no reason to think the KP replaces the K3 series - the battery, shutter, (lack of) GPS, (lack of) top screen, autofocus, etc, etc...
Only the sensor is newer, which is to be expected, as it's a newer camera. The same thing happened with the Kx having a newer sensor than the K-7.
Yes, I suspect we will get a K-3 II replacement, as I've mentioned half a dozen times (broken record ). However, I am preparing those that whine about the whining to be ready just in case the situation changes and/or the camera is delayed.

Stuff happens and if the product isn't yet released and available it doesn't officially exist.

02-01-2017, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #50

Photos: Albums
Just a list of my predictions (dreams ), in order of priority IMHO:

Highest importance to instill continued confidence in lens mounts:

1) New 645 mount lens(es), likely a DFA 645 100-300mm f4.5 SR AW (~70-200mm equiv) or a DFA 645 40-100mm f4.5 SR AW (~24-70mm ish equiv). Working samples on show floor to get people into the booths for increased foot traffic.

2) New K-Mount DFA* prime(s), hopefully a 24mm 1.4, 55mm f1.4 and/or a 85mm f1.4. Constructed from aluminium as per DFA* 70-200mm is, mockups under glass acceptable. This would further attract pros from other brands into the Pentax fold.

3) My wish, DC motor replacements for the DA* 16-50mm f2.8 (new optical formula), DA* 50-135mm f2.8 (new or existing formula) and DA* 60-250mm f4 (optical tweaks to make DFA class). All lenses to be constructed out of aluminium like the DFA* 70-200 and DFA 150-450mm, with the 50-135mm and 60-250mm being compatible with the new lens foot design. Not all requiring immediate release, but mockups under glass would be acceptable. I no longer use APS-c for much, but it is the bread and butter of the brand.

Medium importance, to clarify the market positions:

1) Q-mount camera discussion, either clarifying that the series is no longer in production, of presenting a new Q-mount camera along with the 09 Tele Macro lens.

2) On camera clarification of the Pentax KP position in the camera lineup, to stop the whingers.

3) K3iii news, either teasing a new camera to be released in the second quarter (a'la Pentax K1 announcement), or denying the possibility of a new K3 range camera.

4) Announcement on improved WIFI function on both camera and app end of software. Current implementation is poor, easy improvements could be made by opening the code up for free.

Low importance, things that would strengthen the brand, but are not do or die:

1) Full auto 645-mount to K-mount adapter to allow current 645z users a faster body for backup/alternate uses. Would signify that both mounts are strongly supported by Ricoh and that pros using Pentax 645z bodies can be more flexible in their setup, as well as signalling that 645z is the flagship camera across all mounts.

2) Updated lens map. More akin to Fuji/Sony lens maps, giving somewhat less vague lens release schedules.

3) Release of the APS-c Wide Zoom on current roadmap, it's poor business to have a single lens on their for so long.

All in all, if even some of these points are hit, I believe that it would be a good step for both the brand and for its users. Would be interested for other's take on the situation!
02-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
You visibly didn't try Q-7 nor Q-S1, those last iterations where anything but slow....
Sorry me, i get a slow Q7.
02-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Just a list of my predictions (dreams ), in order of priority IMHO:

Highest importance to instill continued confidence in lens mounts:

1) New 645 mount lens(es), likely a DFA 645 100-300mm f4.5 SR AW (~70-200mm equiv) or a DFA 645 40-100mm f4.5 SR AW (~24-70mm ish equiv). Working samples on show floor to get people into the booths for increased foot traffic.
I think it will be more like a 45-90mm and a 90-180mm, both with SR. I will buy them both!!!

A 100-300mm is just too large and not the staple of what us MF users are looking for.

02-02-2017, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
in fact the K-3 II replacement or there is no future in the K-3 II series, a lot of us are going to lose our grip...
Good one
02-02-2017, 03:53 AM   #54
Veteran Member

When interviewed at this upcoming CP+ tradeshow, If Ricoh attempt to state the KP body IS in fact the K-3 II replacement or there is no future in the K-3 II series, a lot of us are going to lose our grip... in that situation count on heads explodernating.

Further doom if nothing is released in September... haha.

Remember the meltdown Chevy Chase's character had in National Lampoons Summer Vacation when they got to Wallyworld and discovered the Park was closed? Those kinds of freakouts.. expect them if Ricoh say anything to the contrary of K-3 II replacement later this year.
Lol, even if that were the case, don't expect Ricoh to say anything so direct. Chances are their spokesman will be obliged to play by Japanese rules of politeness and so any answer will be oblique and rather vague in order to avoid giving offence. This aside from commercial confidentiality. Bear in mind that Ricoh won't want to hurt sales of the KP by saying the wrong thing. "Hi, I wouldn't waste your time with the ol' KP, we have a far superior camera coming out tomorrow" isn't very likely after all. "Studying the market" is always a popular standby on these occasions. Just look at the groundplan for Ricoh's CP+ stand. One-third of it is given over to advertising the KP. They won't do anything at all to take the spotlight off it.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-02-2017 at 04:32 AM.
02-02-2017, 04:14 AM - 3 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Probably we'll get a k-3II replacement and everybody will put in the wish list what they want the camera to have. When the camera arrives, a lot will shout for joy. A lot will whine that it ain't what they want and they will be so disappointed and say they'll jump ship.

Hmmm, come to think of it, we'd better get used to it as this is pentaxforums.com. Ricoh can't please everyone.
02-02-2017, 04:32 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Ricoh can't please everyone.
No brand can
02-02-2017, 04:41 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
No brand can
Sony's been giving it a red-hot try, but no…
02-02-2017, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

I wonder whether those who are requesting or would like Ricoh Imaging to launch a bunch of new Pentax products at CP+ (successor to K-3 II, new 645 camera, new Q, two to three D FA lenses, the long-awaited DA wide zoom, may be a couple of 645 lenses too) realize how tiny a business Ricoh Imaging are running: their sales are roughly half those of Leica, for instance.
02-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #59
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Lol, even if that were the case, don't expect Ricoh to say anything so direct. Chances are their spokesman will be obliged to play by Japanese rules of politeness and so any answer will be oblique and rather vague in order to avoid giving offence. This aside from commercial confidentiality. Bear in mind that Ricoh won't want to hurt sales of the KP by saying the wrong thing. "Hi, I wouldn't waste your time with the ol' KP, we have a far superior camera coming out tomorrow" isn't very likely after all. "Studying the market" is always a popular standby on these occasions. Just look at the groundplan for Ricoh's CP+ stand. One-third of it is given over to advertising the KP. They won't do anything at all to take the spotlight off it.
haha well obviously I'm not expecting them to directly state 'hold off on buying for 6 months 12 days and 3 hours and 29 minutes because something MUCH better will be released then for _______ price.' But the KP is so different from a K-3 II that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they still made vague references to a K-3 II successor in the future. Not that I'm expecting them either.. If it happens, it will likely just happen when it is ready.

But it would be nice to have more information on it..

As far as this CP+, I'm more looking at the new lenses they offer and how the market approaches the KP.

The major whine with cheese will be served in Oct/Nov/Dec depending on what Ricoh launch in Aug/Sept/Oct (or don't launch!). haha

And that is the problem with waiting for better.. there is no guarantee that better will arrive when you are expecting it nor that it is truly what you were expecting. On the other hand, if one jumps now and better does come soon and is indeed better.. then there is regret for not waiting.. doh!
02-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #60
Pentaxian

... explodernating.
I really have to work on my English vocabulary.

Remember the meltdown Chevy Chase's character had in National Lampoons Summer Vacation when they got to Wallyworld and discovered the Park was closed?
No. Who's that?