Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
haha well obviously I'm not expecting them to directly state 'hold off on buying for 6 months 12 days and 3 hours and 29 minutes because something MUCH better will be released then for _______ price.' But the KP is so different from a K-3 II that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they still made vague references to a K-3 II successor in the future.
"We are carefully considering the market trends and we're planning to reinforce the K-mount system accordingly. That's all we can say for now".

02-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #62
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I really have to work on my English vocabulary.
hahaha don't learn English words from me -- I make up some on occasion.

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
No. Who's that?

1980s American comedy film

Please excuse the foul language at the end of the clip... as he is having his little meltdown. Just replace 'park is closed' with 'K-3 line is closed' and then we have this forum should that ever happen.
02-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #63
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wonder whether those who are requesting or would like Ricoh Imaging to launch a bunch of new Pentax products at CP+ (successor to K-3 II, new 645 camera, new Q, two to three D FA lenses, the long-awaited DA wide zoom, may be a couple of 645 lenses too) realize how tiny a business Ricoh Imaging are running: their sales are roughly half those of Leica, for instance.
And the last quarter was down in sales. This quarter has only the expensive KP at the moment and next quarter is going to look bleech next to the same quarter last year when the K-1 was launched.
02-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And the last quarter was down in sales. This quarter has only the expensive KP at the moment and next quarter is going to look bleech next to the same quarter last year when the K-1 was launched.
I suspect these things need to be looked at not as lines on a graph but as waves with the peaks coinciding with periods which book max revenue after the release of a new product. Costs likewise. The key is whether the trend is gradually up or down. If up, then over a much longer period than a quarter the wave smooths out and one sees compound growth kicking in. These things are a bit distorted by modern accounting conventions which demand constant snapshots. Later this year, chances are Ricoh will be booking a new GR, quite possibly another APS-C camera, maybe more Theta stuff, some lenses ... and there is the 645 platform which could book a lot of revenue if a major new body emerges this year.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-02-2017 at 09:56 AM.
02-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #65
Veteran Member

haha well obviously I'm not expecting them to directly state 'hold off on buying for 6 months 12 days and 3 hours and 29 minutes because something MUCH better will be released then for _______ price.' But the KP is so different from a K-3 II that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they still made vague references to a K-3 II successor in the future. Not that I'm expecting them either.. If it happens, it will likely just happen when it is ready.

But it would be nice to have more information on it..

As far as this CP+, I'm more looking at the new lenses they offer and how the market approaches the KP.

The major whine with cheese will be served in Oct/Nov/Dec depending on what Ricoh launch in Aug/Sept/Oct (or don't launch!). haha

And that is the problem with waiting for better.. there is no guarantee that better will arrive when you are expecting it nor that it is truly what you were expecting. On the other hand, if one jumps now and better does come soon and is indeed better.. then there is regret for not waiting.. doh!
K70 did not get so much attention in the summer and K1 came out a few months before, so sales may not turn out so well?
But it's a really good mid-range camera.
Pentax KP seems to be a mid-range camera as well, but to a (experimental?) Higher price, and have get a lot of attention.
It have a lot of K1, but but translated to a mid range camera.
With 2 midclass cameras, there is room for a quick advanced K3III, i am confident that they will come out with a semi-pro APS camera.
If we donīt see a K3III at CP+, itīs because Pentax have a new sensor or something else in mind,
they can say something in passing about a new K3.
Do not worry this time.
02-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wonder whether those who are requesting or would like Ricoh Imaging to launch a bunch of new Pentax products at CP+ (successor to K-3 II, new 645 camera, new Q, two to three D FA lenses, the long-awaited DA wide zoom, may be a couple of 645 lenses too) realize how tiny a business Ricoh Imaging are running: their sales are roughly half those of Leica, for instance.
I've never seen it expressed quite that way before. Everything makes sense now.

We're actually pretty lucky to even have K-1.
02-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
As it was in the 80s, SLR went down drastically after compact cameras came ( that was a new thing) they sold well.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Please name a particular camera that was part of the "compact cameras" which caused SLRs to "go down" in the 1980s.

Incidentally, during the period 1980-99 I knew more people who were using SLR cameras than I did in the preceding or following periods.

Q are a MILC. the screen was "bad" in sunlight, the cameras was slow and some of the lenses was "Toys". So some ( or all) reviews turned thumbs down and readers saw the red flag
Again I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Q is slow". My 01 lens goes to f/1.9. My 06 lens goes to f/2.8. My Q7 body goes to a higher ISO gracefully than the small-sensor compact camera which I used before it.

02-03-2017, 01:10 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand what you're saying here. Please name a particular camera that was part of the "compact cameras" which caused SLRs to "go down" in the 1980s.

Incidentally, during the period 1980-99 I knew more people who were using SLR cameras than I did in the preceding or following periods.
Pentax had the Espio cameras, but then iīm thinking about it, perhaps they came in the 90s?
I often heard that a compact camera with zoom is so much more practical than an SLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Again I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Q is slow". My 01 lens goes to f/1.9. My 06 lens goes to f/2.8. My Q7 body goes to a higher ISO gracefully than the small-sensor compact camera which I used before it.
With the Q7, I have to wait to see the results, or to take more photos. It is not so fast.
02-03-2017, 03:22 AM   #69
Veteran Member

With the Q7, I have to wait to see the results, or to take more photos. It is not so fast.
Again I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Q is slow".
02-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Again I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Q is slow".
Then you take a photo with Q7, you have to wait for the processor to work before you can look at the picture on the screen.
Try a Q7.
I like the camera, i donīt use continuous shooting.
But testers in a Photo magazine or on a web site do.
02-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Definitely no and I just tried. Maybe you use different settings :-/
02-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Definitely no and I just tried. Maybe you use different settings :-/
I often use black and white settings. ...
But the point are, reviews in magazines or on the web try continuous shooting and they see thatīs some lenses are toy lenses.
I remember that in one test they used the normal zoom and itīs not so very good.
So they say īQ are a toy camera, or a slow camera with toy lenses.
The reader see the red flag and think = No.

Q is a special system, so it may take time to find the right path and to come out with enough lenses.
Samsung went on for 10 years and finally got them up a really good camera NX1, but then management had enough with costs.
If they held out for two years so they'd certainly been profitable.
02-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Pentax had the Espio cameras, but then iīm thinking about it, perhaps they came in the 90s?
I often heard that a compact camera with zoom is so much more practical than an SLR.
Don't believe everything you hear; one of the problems of the Internet is that anyone can claim to be an expert -s/he just has to put down a few dollars to have his/her own web site / pulpit.
My last film camera was an SLR; in an attempt to lower my costs, my first digital camera was a compact camera with a zoom. That is the only "primary" camera that lasted less than a year with me - it was too limiting, and nine months later I purchased a DSLR.

---------- Post added 02-04-17 at 01:48 AM ----------

Then you take a photo with Q7, you have to wait for the processor to work before you can look at the picture on the screen.
Try a Q7.
I like the camera, i donīt use continuous shooting.
But testers in a Photo magazine or on a web site do.
I do have a Q-7, do you?? Yes, it takes my Q-7 longer to complete an image than my K-30 does, but it is not the same class. Comparing my Q-7 to my K-30 is like comparing my K-30 to a K-3. But each camera is in a different market, and someone who needs rapid burst processing should be considering a K-3ii rather than a KP, or a KP instead of a Q-7.
02-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #74
Veteran Member

But the point are, reviews in magazines or on the web try continuous shooting and they see thatīs some lenses are toy lenses.
You expected to use Q7 for pro sport photography ? Let's be serious, you have 5i/s and a small buffer and its totaly ok for this camera.
The Q had good review but did suffer from a large improvement of the offer for small mirrorless cameras (often including EVF) during it's lifetime.

Samsung went on for 10 years and finally got them up a really good camera NX1, but then management had enough with costs.
If they held out for two years so they'd certainly been profitable.
Again I don't get the link with the subject. Do you ask Ricoh to follow the Samsung path because it worked great for Samsung ?
I'll stop this parallele conversation as the probability to see a new Q product in CP+ in 2017 is quite low.
02-06-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hahaha don't learn English words from me -- I make up some on occasion.

1980s American comedy film

National Lampoon's Vacation - Griswolds Arrive at Walley World - YouTube

Please excuse the foul language at the end of the clip... as he is having his little meltdown. Just replace 'park is closed' with 'K-3 line is closed' and then we have this forum should that ever happen.
"Sorry, K-3's discontinued. The moose out front should've told you."