Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any rumors regarding K-1 firmware updates?

Was wondering if anything floating around in the ether last one was one or two months ago if I recall correctly.

01-26-2017, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax firmware updates are like Gandalf. Expect them when you see them.
01-26-2017, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

The only thing I really want is to be able to turn off the exposure preview in LV. It makes focusing in live view impossible when you are shooting with flash.
01-26-2017, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax firmware updates are like Gandalf. Expect them when you see them.
And they're never late, nor are they early - they arrive precisely when they mean to.

01-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm guessing the reason for asking is that there are new features of the KP that seem to be firmware dependent - and Ricoh definitely seems to have a policy of keeping the K-1 up to date,so, we'll give until after the KP is out, maybe, before ramping up the protests...
01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm guessing the reason for asking is that there are new features of the KP that seem to be firmware dependent - and Ricoh definitely seems to have a policy of keeping the K-1 up to date,so, we'll give until after the KP is out, maybe, before ramping up the protests...
There is at least one piece of hardware missing from the K-1: the so-called accelerator unit.
01-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is at least one piece of hardware missing from the K-1: the so-called accelerator unit.
didn't say all

01-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last time I asked BigRed, they said there were no more planned firmware updates for the K-1. That was about a month ago?
01-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have mixed feelings about the KP, maybe the K70 too. It feels to me as if the lineup is becoming rather fractured and the feature tier scattered. It seems like they pick and choose features haphazardly. In my mind the feature sets should be like a staircase. If you get the top model you get all the features, if you don't need certain things, you go down a few steps etc.
01-26-2017, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Last time I asked BigRed, they said there were no more planned firmware updates for the K-1. That was about a month ago?
Hmm, that's weird. Why would they stop developing their flagship model? I guess we'll never see any Olympus/Fuji style updates, that have tons of new features. I'm not really complaining, I'm pretty happy with the camera as is, but free feature updates are pretty awesome in my book)
01-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If I were to guess, the K-1 will soon get the KP's aperture and shutter speed bracketing options.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #12

The new KP function of motion bracketing and depth of field bracketing are the long wishing functions of me, if podsible, K1 firmware updated with these functions will be highly appreciated.
01-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I guess we'll never see any Olympus/Fuji style updates, that have tons of new features. I'm not really complaining
We actually could have to complain, if Ricoh Imaging would stop backward FW updates once a new replacing product is marketed, like Oly/Fuji do.
01-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mm, I had updated on em1 until pen f came out, which is quite recent. I know em5 stopped getting updates. No idea whats going on there now since I've switched systems
01-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see no reason why the K-1 shouldn't get more firmware updates, as long as they can be worked into it - the last updates, after all (stuffin the K-70) went quite a way back in the APS-C line as well. If updates add functionality that makes the K-1 an even more attractive proposition, I'm sure they will come - at least until there is a K-1ii.Yes I know there is a cost to produce the update which they give away free, but keping the model fresh while Canikony are producing newer FF offerings would be a good strategy and I'm sure Ricoh will pursue it