Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #256
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those shots look amazing, so maybe my dream of moving Tess up to a KP from her K-5 are back in play.
Yes, the sensor does look to be along the lines of the K-5 more than the K-3 in terms of high ISO handling. Next question is what is the DR like? I suspect it will also be pleasant.

02-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Impressive performance and IQ even at base ISO! Pentax did it again and offers top IQ on another new released camera. That is what matters at the end of the day. From various comments on the web I think that the KP might be a greater success than some early negative comments from some members in here would suggest. I really hope so, it seems as a very capable camera that also has a character.
+++

---------- Post added 11-02-17 at 09:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
It would be interesting to see a comparison with the D500 as with the D80 and K-3II ISO tests. If the KP ends to be better, then Oh Boy! That would be a big statement from Pentax ending with a huge exclamation point!
Well, just have a look on IR samples...
02-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, the KP might be doing better than the K-1 at ISO 204,800. I hope those algorithms are backported in the March firmware update.
02-11-2017, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Wow, the KP might be doing better than the K-1 at ISO 204,800. I hope those algorithms are backported in the March firmware update.
No, not at all.

02-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No, not at all.
I've only seen the Imaging Resource comparison, so I guess I could be wrong.
02-11-2017, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #261
Veteran Member

Most things can made to look ok online. But K-1 still will be better at all High ISO values.

And yes, i have the KP, so have tested against K-1.

But KP will be good for a APS-C camera
02-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least we are getting some pretty good news about this KP.
I was rather sceptical at first but I think this will attract a lot of people .... users' reviews will come in soon.
just have to wait and see what's in store in the future because I am not quite ready to let my K5 and K3 go .... just yet!

02-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #263
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
At least we are getting some pretty good news about this KP.
I was rather sceptical at first but I think this will attract a lot of people .... users' reviews will come in soon.
just have to wait and see what's in store in the future because I am not quite ready to let my K5 and K3 go .... just yet!
I think maybe the K-3 was a bigger launch for Ricoh, as it was during a time when Nikon had not launched the D500 and itchy Nikonians were wanting a D300s successor (that was almost a decade in waiting)..

If you remember back then, we saw a few Nikonians come aboard, but it seems like the K-3 didn't make lasting waves .. the fanfare died down shortly and the K-3 was just another nice DSLR on the market. So I would be hesitant to board the hypetrain just yet.

Sensor performance with ISO handling looks nice though.. but this is a solid, iterative step for Ricoh. I don't see it as a gamechanger that will cause many people to drop their current gear and climb aboard the K mount train.
02-11-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #264
Pentaxian

One product is never enough - this is why there can be no "killer camera" made with no expense spared, which would solve every problem.
Instead, what's needed is a series of good products. And the KP looks good.
02-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One product is never enough - this is why there can be no "killer camera" made with no expense spared, which would solve every problem.
Instead, what's needed is a series of good products. And the KP looks good.
Actually, I think it's because such a camera would be prohibitively expensive.
02-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #266
Pentaxian

Well, a large development cost could be justified if:
a. you'd make a nice profit in the end
b. the development doesn't take forever
Except a "killer camera" would likely fail on both counts.
02-12-2017, 01:09 AM - 3 Likes   #267
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the RAW files from Imaging Resource, what impresses me most about the KP is how well the colours hold up at high ISO. I just downloaded the ISO 51,200 and 102,400 images and played around with them in Lightroom... the colours are great, and - considering the ISO level - there's still a remarkable amount of detail if you don't go silly with luminance noise reduction. Google Nik Dfine 2 does a great job at these higher levels.

I love my K-3 and K-3II, and I won't be upgrading any time soon... but this is a very significant improvement in high ISO performance.

EDIT: I'm continuing to play with the files from ISO 12,800 up. Honestly, I'm astounded. For me, this thing is insanely good. Well done, Ricoh...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-12-2017 at 01:25 AM.
02-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #268
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went to a branch of Yodobashi near my home, and they now have a book of A4 prints from the KP. I found them pretty impressive, to say the least. Up to ISO 12,800, the images retain a lot of detail at A4 size. At 51,200 and above, you can see the blotchiness fairly clearly, but step back and the colour information is still accurate. I would be pretty happy using it for smaller prints. The images at 1,600 just looked like base ISO on my K-5iis to me. All of these images were JPEGs, because they mentioned the custom image setting in the description.

I spoke to the Ricoh rep, who I've spoken to on occasion before. He was in unusually enthusiastic mood. He said they had been taking preorders like never before. Apparently, the silver one is especially popular. Bear in mind that there is no discount or price cut for pre release cameras, so the preorders are at 123,800 yen.
02-12-2017, 02:16 AM   #269
Veteran Member

Good news JPT. I am waiting to replace my K-5 who still do a good job.
If they get a lot of pre-order, the Pentax base mean they are happy.
02-12-2017, 03:55 AM - 4 Likes   #270
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I went to a branch of Yodobashi near my home, and they now have a book of A4 prints from the KP. I found them pretty impressive, to say the least. Up to ISO 12,800, the images retain a lot of detail at A4 size. At 51,200 and above, you can see the blotchiness fairly clearly, but step back and the colour information is still accurate. I would be pretty happy using it for smaller prints. The images at 1,600 just looked like base ISO on my K-5iis to me. All of these images were JPEGs, because they mentioned the custom image setting in the description.
Most of us, essentially keep their photographs on a hard drive or flickr. We are very demanding on image quality because we pixel peep on a computer. Take any current Pentax camera and print A4, the prints are awesome. If the KP shows less noise, it's even better. We just don't do enough photo printing to enjoy our cameras.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.