Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
What would have worked best, I think is if I had mastered my lighting equipment better. Here it was quite basic still. You would have choosed narrower apperture and higher iso... Well that's a possibility.

Now would it have to be redone, the flash in one hand with diffuser, the camera in the other hand, putting the iso more like at 1600/800 only would have given interresting results too.

Not the same conditions but on a wedding, quite dim interior, it gave me that:

Now try it even with an FF or KP, at iso 6400 or 12800, no flash, this isn't going to look the same.
using flash you should be able to shoot base iso , but as an example most shows i shoot from what amounts to a pit the rule is three songs no flash. Professional acts no this and play to it with high energy, if only their lighting guys always co-operated. they don't , i've had scenes that were just blue light, or red light. so you are using only a portion of your sensor clean high iso is very useful in those situations allowing a high enough shutter speed and deep enough dof for the shot (I usually have a 1.2 lens mounted on one body but it still needs to stop to 2.8 for enough dof (1.2 works out occasionally) , its also about say shooting clean at 6400 when before it may have been 1600 for the same noise...
it's not the only reason to buy a KP but it sure helps some of us out

02-01-2017, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #122
f22

Placed my Pre-order this morning. For the price, I think Pentax has again packed a nice offering of features and innovation into the KP. I'm unclear where they their Product Development is headed with APS-C? They seems to be using the trickle-down approach - like putting 5-axis Stabilization, Pixel-Shift and the 24 MP sensor in the K70. They keep moving the cheese...and in the process they mix and match features across their MF, FF and APC-S lines.

A few weeks ago, I was considering getting the K-3ii but now, I'm glad I waited a little longer for this KP to come along. If I already owned a K-3ii though, I'd be completely happy and not craving the KP. It seems a lot of the K3ii owners commenting on this thread feel likewise. While the KP has a nice offering of features, it is unfortunate that it lacks a staple IR to use a remote shutter trigger, has less fps than the K3ii, a shorter life battery, and a single slot for SD card. On the other side, it has a built in flash, wireless, faster top-end shutter speed, aperture and shutter bracketing, and support for the new KAF4 lenses. So design trade-offs continue to complicate the buying process.
02-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Again, these are nice pictures given the lack of a camera that produces clean output at high ISO and the mobility requirements of a wedding photographer.

I get the strong sense that the KP at 6400 would have produced a much nicer image in ambient light than what any reasonably mobile flash rig could ever do on a noisier camera. And even at 12800, there might be a little more grain but you'd have avoided the harsh shadows, uneven lighting, unforgiving white light, shiny skin reflections that created by mobile flash lighting. Now if you'd had a couple of softboxes on 8-foot stands....but that's simply impossible for getting the kind of in-the-moment joyful images associated with weddings.

I've got the strong feeling that there's a significant number of wedding pictures that would look much better taken in ambient light at f/5.6 (not f/2.8) or at a higher shutterspeed if only the photographer had a camera with clean high-ISO output.
I just think its a false choice to say you should use a faster lens and then you wouldn't need to use high iso. There are plenty of times where the light isn't great and you are at f2.8 and to get even a half decent shutter speed you bump your iso up a bunch.

This is iso 12,800 shot at 200mm and f2.8 and shutter speed of 1/125 second.

Obviously you use as low iso as possible and if you need to open your aperture, you do so while keeping adequate depth of field.
02-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Northern lights come to mind.... Have you ever wondered why all the pictures of the northern lights are fuzzy or soft? Because they are all (most all) long exposures. In real life some dynamic light shows are sharp and colorful. That is missed on all long exposures.
Northern lights looks soft because they are. I use 800-3200 depending on intensity of the northern light and exposure time should not be too long.
With bright enough nl you can even catch it on video. Tho very low fps. This is a video stright from my backyard so no fancy surroundings on this one. But you can see that its all soft even on 5 frames per second.

00007 - YouTube

02-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I would be too if I was updating cameras now.
Don't worry, I will let everyone I know how I like it... The good, the bad and the ugly. Plus I will advise on how it's high ISO performance is too!

Already have the 20-40mm Limited on order to be waiting for the KP when it comes in as my main walk around lens like the 16-85 on my K3II too.
02-03-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

I can already say that it looks better then K-3II on high ISO I already have a KP to play with
02-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I can already say that it looks better then K-3II on high ISO I already have a KP to play with
oh cool!
maybe you can answer my questions?

- is the noise better than the k3ii only in jpgs or also in raw?
- in play mode, when you zoom into the image, does it zoom into the center of the image or into the focus point that was used? (a thing that's been bugging me about pentax cameras for years)

02-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
oh cool!
maybe you can answer my questions?

- is the noise better than the k3ii only in jpgs or also in raw?
- in play mode, when you zoom into the image, does it zoom into the center of the image or into the focus point that was used? (a thing that's been bugging me about pentax cameras for years)

- I only shoot in RAW. Might test a few jpg's just to see.

- FW still not ready, so can't tell. So won't talk too much about these kind of things now.

02-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #129
Forum Member

I can already say that it looks better then K-3II on high ISO
Thank you! That was expected And now the main question is.. Is it any better than K-70?
02-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
Thank you! That was expected And now the main question is.. Is it any better than K-70?
Havent tested the K-70, but it would surprise me a lot if this wasn't a better class
02-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #131
Pentaxian

So won't talk too much about these kind of things now.
Fair enough.

Something I would like to know, to the extent that you are able & allowed to tell us, is how the controls feel to use compared to the K-1. I note the application of C1, C2... etc to the menu knob, so custom functions can be assigned (excellent); how does this work out in practice? I would potentially be interested if one could assign flash EV adjustment to one of these, as I'm often either dialling up or dialling down my flash power and it would be nice to be able to do it with my eye in the viewfinder, without menu diving or reaching up to the flash unit. And how do you find that M42-era Pentax K-like front dial?

Up until now I had been contemplating the K-1 for my birthday, but the KP has changed everything. KP-like control and ISO improvements added to a second-generation full-frame body would make it attractive to wait another year or two and soldier on with my K-5 and *istDS a little longer.
02-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Fair enough.

Something I would like to know, to the extent that you are able & allowed to tell us, is how the controls feel to use compared to the K-1. I note the application of C1, C2... etc to the menu knob, so custom functions can be assigned (excellent); how does this work out in practice? I would potentially be interested if one could assign flash EV adjustment to one of these, as I'm often either dialling up or dialling down my flash power and it would be nice to be able to do it with my eye in the viewfinder, without menu diving or reaching up to the flash unit. And how do you find that M42-era Pentax K-like front dial?

Up until now I had been contemplating the K-1 for my birthday, but the KP has changed everything. KP-like control and ISO improvements added to a second-generation full-frame body would make it attractive to wait another year or two and soldier on with my K-5 and *istDS a little longer.
I can't answer all these things yet But can do after some days of usage and testing
02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Fair enough.

Adam posted the list of possible custom assignments in one of these KP threads.
02-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #134
Forum Member

Havent tested the K-70, but it would surprise me a lot if this wasn't a better class
I tested K-70 and it was better than K-3II on high ISO. That's why I asked
02-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Adam posted the list of possible custom assignments in one of these KP threads.
Knowing what they are is a lot different from hearing how they work in the field, and I'm keen to hear the input of an experienced tester and professional photographer who has to work under pressure in difficult situations. Those concerts he covers are a whole different ball game from the gimme macro and bokeh shots I churn out, of stuff that never moves or blinks under light that never changes.