Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #226
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Its hard to get more high iso examples..The FW is not even done yet. My experience with the camera so far, is that its a bit better then K-3, but nothing compared to full frame.
Thanks kenspo. I understand at this point it difficult to post those without release firmware ready.I was judging the original post, and those example shots which showed a dramatically improved difference in what the upper ISO range delivered. I have one on preorder, but now I'm thinking I should maybe wait to see if the real world noise reduction results at the middle to upper ISO ranges (like 51,200 or 102,400) of the KP justify the purchase.

If it delivers, the contrast resolution of dark image areas will rival the 645Z or the Sony A99 despite being an APS-C, and for a fraction of the price of those.

I think that is what interests me most, is not having to go out and buy all new FF ro MF lenses and squeezing more performance from the APC-S format. I understand that FF has more resolution, but that's where having KP examples (when they're ready) helps to decide. Hell, if a 51,200 APC-S picture looks as dynamic and clean as an ISO 6400 taken with a FF, then for MY purposes, that would be a reason to go with the KP.

02-08-2017, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

Its hard to get more high iso examples..The FW is not even done yet. My experience with the camera so far, is that its a bit better then K-3, but nothing compared to full frame.
My expectation would be that since I'm happy with 3200 ISO on my K1, I'll be happy with 1600 ISO on the KP as I was with the K-5. IF they can get there I'll be happy. After all, I shoot my K-3 at ƒ5.6 and my K-1 at 8 to keep the DoF equivalent, so using one stop better ISO would help me normalize my shutter speed. I won't feel like I'm suffering using one system or the other. Right now, with the K-3 I'm barely comfortable at 1000 ISO and actually prefer 640 ISO. I need the 24 MP sensor to do a bit better.
02-08-2017, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
Hell, if a 51,200 APC-S picture looks as dynamic and clean as an ISO 6400 taken with a FF, then for MY purposes, that would be a reason to go with the KP.
That would for anyone, 3 stops over a FF for an APS-C almost the same generation. You shouldn't bet on that.
02-08-2017, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #229
Veteran Member

ISO is pleasing for a APS-C and sensor looks very promising. Cant wait to test it even more with FW done

02-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #230
f22

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
That would for anyone, 3 stops over a FF for an APS-C almost the same generation. You shouldn't bet on that.
I can only judge by the example shot on this forum https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/3384/p1936/medium/kp-51200.jpg which was taken at 51,200. Once fw is finalized and more real world pictures emerge we will see if this is the case.
02-08-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
I can only judge by the example shot on this forum https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/3384/p1936/medium/kp-51200.jpg which was taken at 51,200. Once fw is finalized and more real world pictures emerge we will see if this is the case.
I can tell you already its not. You can make almost any pic look ok online. But in real world use, APS-C isnt on the same level as FF on high ISO. KP is very good for a APS-C camera, but K-1 still better
02-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #232

I can tell you already its not. You can make almost any pic look ok online. But in real world use, APS-C isnt on the same level as FF on high ISO. KP is very good for a APS-C camera, but K-1 still better
I think none is going to be surprised this is not the K-1 level. But because some of us are not interested in K-1 therefore all the improvements over K-3 generation are still welcome. We - APS-C shooters - also want improved bodies

02-09-2017, 01:39 AM - 2 Likes   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
I think none is going to be surprised this is not the K-1 level. But because some of us are not interested in K-1 therefore all the improvements over K-3 generation are still welcome. We - APS-C shooters - also want improved bodies
Ricoh will continue deliver good APS-C in the future too
02-09-2017, 02:14 AM   #234

Ricoh will continue deliver good APS-C in the future too
Sounds optimistic. I have been DSLR Pentax user since K100 and regulary upgrading Pentax bodies every three years or so. I would really be dissapointed if I woke up one day without possibility to do the next upgrade. When you have skills shortages, hardware upgrade is the way that helps

And getting back to topic, how was KP during the concert? How was ergonomics and how was AF doing it dark light environment? Did you notice any improvement over K-3ii? Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I remember you have had been shooting with K-3ii before K-1, right? So you must have some comparison in your head.
02-09-2017, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #235
Veteran Member

Sounds optimistic. I have been DSLR Pentax user since K100 and regulary upgrading Pentax bodies every three years or so. I would really be dissapointed if I woke up one day without possibility to do the next upgrade. When you have skills shortages, hardware upgrade is the way that helps

And getting back to topic, how was KP during the concert? How was ergonomics and how was AF doing it dark light environment? Did you notice any improvement over K-3ii? Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I remember you have had been shooting with K-3ii before K-1, right? So you must have some comparison in your head.
Im not optimistic..Im just stating facts

KP seemed ok..Not an action camera..Made mostly for travel, street, holidays etc It feels very small in my big hands but perfect for what the camera is made for. And yes, i've gone the way from K-3, K-3ii to K-1...I feel its a bit snappier..in challenging light..if that gave meaning. The new sensor is very promising!
02-09-2017, 02:39 AM   #236

Im not optimistic..Im just stating facts

KP seemed ok..Not an action camera..Made mostly for travel, street, holidays etc It feels very small in my big hands but perfect for what the camera is made for. And yes, i've gone the way from K-3, K-3ii to K-1...I feel its a bit snappier..in challenging light..if that gave meaning. The new sensor is very promising!
For me even my K-5ii is a sport camera
How about the new front located wheel? Is it comfortable? Does your finger easily and naturally find it?
02-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #237
Veteran Member

How about the new front located wheel? Is it comfortable? Does your finger easily find it?
I really liked that wheel..It was quick to adapt to it
02-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #238

I really liked that wheel..It was quick to adapt to it
My next ergonomic related question is about lack of top LCD screen. Your K-1 has it just like K-3s used to have. If you are moving to a KP that has no top LCD screen, aren't you missing it? Especially in a dark environment during the concert? Was not that frustrating a bit?
02-09-2017, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #239
Veteran Member

I have never used that top LCD anyway
02-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #240

I have never used that top LCD anyway
That is not the answer I was expecting haha

Next: the new hand grip and build quality. Is KP as sturdy as the K-3 for example? Does it feel cheaper or not in contrast with K-3? And the new hand grip, is there a risk it will loose with time?
What I love about K-5ii is the build quility. It feels like a classy product in your hand with no crackles at all.