Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
the hype with the Fuji APS-C (As good as FF), or the hype over the Samsung NX-1 sensor (As good as FF
they all end up being a stop behind FF
Marketing is MARKETING!...ha ha

However, there is some validity in those statements.....IF a speedbooster is used that stop is picked up,and the crop becomes 1.1x...."so close to FF"!

02-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #287
JPT
Pentaxian

What kind of light? High ISO under good light usually looks pretty decent, but most people need high ISO because the light is low and that is when you start to see color shift. Usually those promotional books show a lot of different images shot under different conditions, but what you need for high ISO testing is the same picture taken at different ISO settings and with different light. I find that skin tones start to fall apart at 800 ISO on the K-3 even with good light.

The KP looks like a great little camera but like the hype with the Fuji APS-C (As good as FF), or the hype over the Samsung NX-1 sensor (As good as FF), they all end up being a stop behind FF. I hope the KP is a huge success and Ricoh continues to refine to concept and maybe even produce a FF version of the KP.
A lot of the images were in low light. If you have seen the series of test images of the building with clock tower at night, a number of the shots were other angles of the same building. There were other shots from the same area if Yokohama, also at night. Some others were taken at dusk somewhere in Europe. I know what you mean that sample photos often show shooting scenarios that don't test the camera much, but in this case Ricoh seems happy to show low light shots. As I said, the colour in the images when viewed at A4 is not ruined by luminance noise up to ISO 51,200 at least.

Sorry if you think I'm contributing to hype. I'm just saying what I observed, and I mentioned my point of reference, which is the K-5iis. I can't comment on full frame because I've never owned one, but it strikes me that the comparison is not that helpful, because it's a different format that requires different lenses. If Fuji or Samsung (or more likely their fans) were trying to convince people that their technology makes APS-C look like full frame, that was probably because they were trying to justify their decision not to make full frame cameras at all.
02-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #288
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thats because they have PENTAX KP Ver. 1.00 in camera now. We others dont.
Looking at EXIF of sample shots, some in Japan have had 1.00 since December. Interesting how they don't seem to all update the test bodies simultaneously.
02-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #289
Veteran Member

Trying to catch up,...

I did note, the DNG raws are available in this test - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-kp/pentax-kpA7.HTM

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
More expensive than an A7S? I hope not. Probably more expensive than an A7, but if it's $3k+ for a body i won't be happy.
Well, yeah, but cost wasn't the point of that comment.
(Locally, the A7s 'body only', is cheaper then a K-1, and the A7s2 is more expensive)

Looking at the samples on the Imaging Resources review, IFF the KP had a recordable output (AFAIK we still have no data on the Slimport output) the amount of noise in the images is lower then the A7s at ISO's from 3200 to 52000, when the A7s is Not using sLog2.

I'd say, IFF Pentax gets there arse in to gear with quality video firmware, this sensor has the capability of showing up some very expensive competitors for HD production.
The potential is there, they just need the will and guidance to take advantage of it.

If they want to venture in to s32 format 'cinema' cameras and 4K output - say, this sensor in a body that looks like Sony's VG series and uses the rumoured short K-mount - The noise characteristics of the sensor and processing, would have owners of Red Epics worried.

---------- Post added 16-02-17 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
HDMI Video out is in the SlimPort, you just need a SlimPort to HDMI adapter. The signal is there! A traditional HDMI port was found to be too large so therefore this solution instead.
Hope so.
Iff it outputs at the same frame rate that the camera is set up to record at (and not swap to something completely unusable with a different frame rate when you hit record - looking at you Pentax K-3,..) Iff the output is at 24, or 25, or 30 frames, and Iff we can select higher then 3200ISO, then you won't want to get between me and the salesperson.
Especially given the sample images sharpness and apparent retained dynamic range at higher ISO's.

---------- Post added 16-02-17 at 03:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Just to make sure, I ran the available High-res samples through NeatImage8, set to highest quality and I find ISO12800 delivers top results, ISO25600 is still very usable . . . . -> I'll post some crops of those files below:
They look great, thanks for doing that - it tells us on the video side how much effect DaVinci Resolve's noise correction would have on the same images if recorded in an appropriate file format.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 02-15-2017 at 09:06 PM.
02-15-2017, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #290
Veteran Member

And yes, i have the KP, so have tested against K-1.
Video samples?
HDMI connection test on both to a Ninja or Shogun recorder or equivalent ?

---------- Post added 16-02-17 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Looking at EXIF of sample shots, some in Japan have had 1.00 since December. Interesting how they don't seem to all update the test bodies simultaneously.
That can simply be the reviewers not being given permission to do the updates, and them being done as the cameras cycle back through the distributors to the next reviewer.

I know when I had a Cion to review, and the v1.2 firmware launched, I wasn't going to update it until I had written permission from the distributor.
02-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #291
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not that impressing me is important but, here's a shot at ISO 800, pushed 4 stops (ISO 12800 equivalent):

I could barely see this little guy thru the OVF. DXO PRIME noise reduction.
Wow, thats look like hd picture, which camera did you use to shoot this pic
02-16-2017, 02:45 AM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes, very strange

---------- Post added 02-16-17 at 10:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Video samples?
HDMI connection test on both to a Ninja or Shogun recorder or equivalent ?[COLOR=Silver]
I might do when i have FW1.0 ready. But in my work, i dont use video on Pentax at all. I have permission to use Panasonic for my pro video work

02-16-2017, 04:24 AM   #293
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Nice. ISO 12800 looks quite a bit better than on my K-5, although hard to tell from these well-lit studio shots how it will work on a murky dark evening. I notice that it has the Pentax habit of blowing the reds so the red napkin loses its pattern.
02-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Nice. ISO 12800 looks quite a bit better than on my K-5.
Did that surprise you? Almost a decade newer sensor and much better technology...
02-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #295
Pentaxian

More surprising is that there is only week left till CP+ 2017 opens its doors and no word on any other new stuff around
02-16-2017, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
More surprising is that there is only week left till CP+ 2017 opens its doors and no word on any other new stuff around
That might be because those who really knows doesn't tell and those who just are guessing are out of options?
02-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #297
Pentaxian

Pentax still has problems with definition in the red cloth patch.
02-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #298

That might be because those who really knows doesn't tell and those who just are guessing are out of options?
And you are ... the one who knows or ... the one who is out of options?
02-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
And you are ... the one who knows or ... the one who is out of options?
If i make guesses, i say so But i have my info
02-16-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #300
Pentaxian

Could you please give us some examples of info you have, and must keep secret?