Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Seven months before the successor of the K3II?

The French site Les Numeriques says: The Pentax KP ... will arrive in the shop at the end of February 2017. He will live for six months with the K-3 II before he retires (K3II) and is replaced.

01-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Posted four days ago by yours truly, relayed since by Pentax Rumors and 'a few' people on this forum :

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Extract from the KP review by the French website Les Numériques:

Pentax KP, nouveau capteur 24,3 Mpx et 819200 ISO
QuoteOriginally posted by Les Numériques:
Le Pentax KP (...) cohabitera pendant six mois avec le K-3 II avant que celui-ci ne prenne sa retraite et soit remplacé.
Translation: "The Pentax KP will co-exist for six months with the K-3 II before the latter retires and is replaced."

Interesting, isn't it?
01-30-2017, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Comming from someone which is not that much "Pentax knowledgeable" nor "Ricoh enthusiast", this information is imho to be taken "with a few spoons of salt".

The obvious part of it is that KP doesn't qualify for APS-C flagship's criteria, but i wouldn't bet on that 6 month period.

Fyp, the Pentax K-3II is already known as , or strongly suspected , to be discontinued.
01-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The obvious part of it is that KP doesn't qualify for APS-C flagship's criteria, but i wouldn't bet on that 6 month period.
Why not?

01-30-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'm waiting for that upcoming camera. Hopefully we see something from Pentax no later than August. I'd like to get it by the end of the year.

All the rumors that I've seen from people with some inside knowledge & other websites point to a more impressive APS-C DSLR coming up.
01-30-2017, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why not?
low cap. buffer, battery, flash power, video connectivity, and SD slots mainly.
01-30-2017, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
npc
Veteran Member

Also uses old AF technology (safox 11) not the latest AF technology known to exist from Ricoh (safox 12) or better

01-30-2017, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Selling the KP and K-3ii as current models for 6+ months would surprise me. The KP is significantly more expensive than the K-3ii yet lacks several K-3ii features, such as the larger frame buffer, astrotracer, longer battery life, HDMI output. Most buyers will fare better with the K-3ii unless they specifically need one of the new KP features.

I wonder if Ricoh priced the KP high to help sell off remaining K-3ii stock, and as the K-3ii supply runs out they will announce a new top APS-C while maybe reducing the KP price. Inventory management gets complex.
01-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It may take some time to distribute and sell down the last K3ii production. It gives retailers some breathing room to sell at a decent margin before officially pulling the plug. It is also gives Ricoh/Pentax time to get the K3ii successor right.

My prediction (based on no specific knowledge and reading the tea leaves only) is in 6-9 months we'll see the successor:
- K2 APS-C flagship @ around $1400
- KP/K1 form factor and controls (this is the new normal)
- Bigger than KP, bigger battery
- Top LCD
- Dual Card
- 1/8000 mech shutter + electronic
- SAFOX 12 (or better)
- 8-10 FPS, bigger buffer
- Bigger flip or tilt LCD with touch screen.
- other surprises....

None of these are must haves for me personally, so a smaller slightly stripped down KP at around $1000 is a much nicer proposition than ponying up for a flagship camera at $1400 that I don't really need.

Last edited by caliscouser; 01-30-2017 at 10:46 AM.
01-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It may take some time to distribute and sell down the last K3ii production. It gives retailers some breathing room to sell at a decent margin before officially pulling the plug. It is also gives Ricoh/Pentax time to get the K3ii successor right.

My prediction (based on no specific knowledge and reading the tea leaves only) is in 6-9 months we'll see the successor:
- K2 APS-C flagship @ around $1400
- KP/K1 form factor and controls (this is the new normal)
- Bigger than KP, bigger battery
- Top LCD
- Dual Card
- 1/8000 mech shutter + electronic
- SAFOX 12 (or better)
- 8-10 FPS, bigger buffer
- Bigger flip or tilt LCD with touch screen.
- other surprises....

None of these are must haves for me personally, so a smaller slightly stripped down KP at around $1000 is a much nicer proposition than ponying up for a flagship camera at $1400 that I don't really need.
I'm really hoping for better AF performance than what the KP has. We have yet to find out how much better the SAFOX 11 in the KP with the revised AF algorithms works, but my guess is that the KP will be really close to the Nikon D7200 in tracking ability, especially along the Z axis.

Some newer glass that takes advantage of the improved AF would also be nice. It seems like the recent 55-300mm PLM & 16-85mm DC seem to be the quickest 2 lenses at the moment.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 01-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.
01-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others said before, discontinueing production sometimes means the stored reserve can feed sales for another 6-12 months.
Sometimes, but not aways, sales will be at reduced prices. But if the succesor is much more expensive, even a price increase is possible.
01-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

I was asking why you are not betting on 6 months to see a K-3 II successor.

---------- Post added 01-30-17 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Selling the KP and K-3ii as current models for 6+ months would surprise me. The KP is significantly more expensive than the K-3ii yet lacks several K-3ii features, such as the larger frame buffer, astrotracer, longer battery life, HDMI output. Most buyers will fare better with the K-3ii unless they specifically need one of the new KP features.

I wonder if Ricoh priced the KP high to help sell off remaining K-3ii stock, and as the K-3ii supply runs out they will announce a new top APS-C while maybe reducing the KP price. Inventory management gets complex.
Good question. I suspect there is breathing room though to help sell remaining stock while also give both KP and K-1 more room to sell.

KP probably helps sell the R&D on the new sensor too. So maybe that helps reduce the K-3 III costs a bit...
01-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I was asking why you are not betting on 6 months to see a K-3 II successor.
That's way too short if they intend to make some cash out of the KP.
Given it's launch price, and it's "enthusiast" target, the KP sales will be strongly hurt by any future flagship...

Just remember : Pentax = market niche, probably on the way to become "super-niche" / market scarcity exception (with the produt-line's recent drops : no more bridge camera, Q-line, WG rugged compacts, aso...).

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-30-2017 at 08:17 PM.
01-30-2017, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
mee
Veteran Member

That's way too short if they intend to make some cash out of the KP.
Given it's launch price, and it's "enthusiast" target, the KP sales will be strongly hurt by any future flagship...
Just remember : Pentax = market niche.
This KP has an 8 frame RAW buffer, single SD slot, and the 'old' (albeit though supposedly fine-tuned) 27 point SAFOX 11 AF system. Plus it is lacking the precious LCD shoulder screen and is in a dinky body. It shoots a slower burst rate with a slower manual shutter than the K-3 II as well. Not to mention has a smaller, lower res LED back screen and USB 2 vs 3.. among other differences.

I'm pretty sure they could launch a K-3 II successor with the K-3-like specs but with the enhancements from this KP in a K-1 shell for 1200-1400 USD in 6 months and it wouldn't eat KP sales. They weakened the KP in key areas which open the door for a K-3 III whenever they want to release one..

Giving a 6-7 month window does make sense though.. the KP will likely have lowered a few hundred dollars by then ($850-900 USD), giving and even larger difference between the two.

Not a problem.

---------- Post added 01-30-17 at 09:34 PM ----------

Actually, the potentially more dangerous issue is charging too much and losing sales to K-1.

I've thought about it a couple of days now and come to the conclusion I'm looking at a K-3 II successor later this year (provided it arrives then) or maybe a K-1.

Last edited by mee; 01-30-2017 at 08:44 PM.
01-31-2017, 03:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

...the potentially more dangerous issue is charging too much and losing sales to K-1.
Is it a dangerous issue or what they are actually doing? 2000€ are better than 1200...
Closed Thread