Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Or I'd like to see something like this also
yes, she is quite sweet
03-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Pentax has AF-C, not tracking AF system. To say honest, I could put SPORT mode at my K200D and it works. Not very good, but better than AF-C...
This is false, and Pentax evolved quite a lot since the K200D.
Pentax definitely has AF tracking with their SAFOX 11 and 12 equipped cameras. It's a bit primitive IMO, but it does track the subject - at least in non-challenging conditions.
03-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #94
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This is false, and Pentax evolved quite a lot since the K200D.
Pentax definitely has AF tracking with their SAFOX 11 and 12 equipped cameras. It's a bit primitive IMO, but it does track the subject - at least in non-challenging conditions.
Yes...There is tracking. But it's only term.

How many pictures could you get really in focus when you track the subject with K-1 or K-3's generation cameras? I mean really sharp photos.
K-1 could take 3 shot from 14 with so-so sharpness. It means 0%.
Special K? Pentax K-1 Review: Digital Photography Review

03-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #95
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Pentax KP Continous focus test - PentaxForums.com

^ It looks like Pentax has already started working on it. If the KP can track better than the K-3II, the next flagship should track even better with whatever next generation SAFOX they use. One can dream, right? Hahaha!

And yes. I'm being realistic. Not asking for D500 or 7DII level of tracking, but just competent enough tracking. I know that D500 or 7DII type tracking will cost serious money & I don't think Pentax has the resources to do that. I would like for them to prove me wrong, though.
SAFOX is a design by Pentax, so they could turn that out. I do think that will be around Photokina 2018. Most of the progressief is probably coming from the processor inside the camera and that will have a new generation maybe end next year to use in 2019.

https://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/milbeaut/digital/
03-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Yes...There is tracking. But it's only term.

How many pictures could you get really in focus when you track the subject with K-1 or K-3's generation cameras? I mean really sharp photos.
K-1 could take 3 shot from 14 with so-so sharpness. It means 0%.
Special K? Pentax K-1 Review: Digital Photography Review
Good. Now you're admitting that Pentax has (some) tracking capabilities. That's a progress

DPReview's "test" is bogus for reasons discussed in depth, months ago. It's completely useless to establish if the K-1 can track a subject; all we found out is that a PhD in Biology doesn't make you a good (camera) tester
03-14-2017, 11:41 AM - 4 Likes   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Good. Now you're admitting that Pentax has (some) tracking capabilities. That's a progress

DPReview's "test" is bogus for reasons discussed in depth, months ago. It's completely useless to establish if the K-1 can track a subject; all we found out is that a PhD in Biology doesn't make you a good (camera) tester
If your use case for a 36Mp FF dSLR is to:
  • fixed-mount it on a tripod,
  • attach a high MTF 70~200 constant f/2.8 zoom and
  • AF.C-Continuous-Release photograph a weaving bicyclist riding toward the camera under overcast skies -
Don't Buy Pentax!!

Other than that you're good.

03-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
if your use case for a 36mp ff dslr is to:
  • fixed-mount it on a tripod,
  • attach a high mtf 70~200 constant f/2.8 zoom and
  • af.c-continuous-release photograph a weaving bicyclist riding toward the camera under overcast skies -
don't buy pentax!!
roftl!
03-20-2017, 01:58 PM - 4 Likes   #99

AF

You are funny, learn how to use AF first.. this is my old classic K5 with Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSMII AF-C

K5 + Sig70-200, 200mm F3.5

And considering AF in general - for example I did several weddings with colleagues. They mostly used 6D and D610. In average they create more than 900 photos per wedding and 300 can be removed instantly as they are completely misfocused + some with bad exposure also. The rest still contain at least 150-200 shots, that are not focused to the level considered to be a keeper for me. That is almost 50% wasted shots.

My results with K5 usually were 450-500 shots per day and about 25-30 pieces were wasted by AF. Rest are usually keepers.

That is the reality... with old K5 with sucking old AF using mostly 3rd party lenses - Sig8-16, Sig17-50/2.8 and Sig70-200/2.8II, sometimes FA35/2, FA50/1.4 and DA18-135.

If new K-2? APS-C body is improved over K3/K1 in AF capability, it will be good camera. Of course there is a lot of space for improvement in AF area, but even 6 years old camera can provide reliable results if user is not a potato...
03-21-2017, 03:19 AM - 2 Likes   #100

True!
Actually, the most efficient AF engine sits 5 inches behind the camera, inside the photographer's brain! That is called professional skills.
Experienced photographers already shot sports and birds in fly in the film era, even before AF was available.
03-30-2017, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #101
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
You are funny, learn how to use AF first.. this is my old classic K5 with Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSMII AF-C

K5 + Sig70-200, 200mm F3.5

And considering AF in general - for example I did several weddings with colleagues. They mostly used 6D and D610. In average they create more than 900 photos per wedding and 300 can be removed instantly as they are completely misfocused + some with bad exposure also. The rest still contain at least 150-200 shots, that are not focused to the level considered to be a keeper for me. That is almost 50% wasted shots.

My results with K5 usually were 450-500 shots per day and about 25-30 pieces were wasted by AF. Rest are usually keepers.

That is the reality... with old K5 with sucking old AF using mostly 3rd party lenses - Sig8-16, Sig17-50/2.8 and Sig70-200/2.8II, sometimes FA35/2, FA50/1.4 and DA18-135.

If new K-2? APS-C body is improved over K3/K1 in AF capability, it will be good camera. Of course there is a lot of space for improvement in AF area, but even 6 years old camera can provide reliable results if user is not a potato...
You don't need tracking for any of this. In the first shot, just use continuous AF with a single focus point on the guy while he runs towards you. In the other shots, the camera has little choice but to focus on the birds, since the background is almost entirely green, providing very little contrast. Auto-AF point selection would do to focus on either bird.

Also, forgive me, but these last pics don't really excite me. The birds are small in the frame, making it easier to have them in proper focus, but making for less exciting images.

Last edited by starbase218; 03-30-2017 at 03:13 AM.
04-02-2017, 04:58 PM - 3 Likes   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Also, forgive me, but these last pics don't really excite me. The birds are small in the frame, making it easier to have them in proper focus, but making for less exciting images.
Lol, seems you've never tried to get these swallows in flight, right?

Hopefully these pictures will be more convincing for you (but honestly, griffon vultures are easier to shoot than swallows):

K5 + DA* 300 f/4:

K3 + 150-450 (@410):

K1 + 150-450 (@450):

The Pentax tracking AF is really not that bad. Not the best, but perfectly usable. If you don't manage to get in focus shots, the problem is probably behind the camera, not inside .
04-03-2017, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #103
Pentaxian

So after all these debates & whatnot, has anyone actually heard anything new about the upcoming APS-C flagship? Kenpo, asahiman, anyone? Is Pentax really working on it or just studying the possibility? Inquiring minds would like to know.
04-03-2017, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
So after all these debates & whatnot, has anyone actually heard anything new about the upcoming APS-C flagship? Kenpo, asahiman, anyone? Is Pentax really working on it or just studying the possibility? Inquiring minds would like to know.
THANK YOU SIR!!

Maybe we can get this thread back on track now rather than continuing on yet another discussion of auto-focus for which there's already an on-going thread? If anyone truly thinks that have something more to add there's plenty of disharmony to go around in that dedicated thread without spreading it across the forum.

Pentax Forums is such a breath of fresh air compared to the dissonance that's taken over so many web forums. I'm sure most other members here would join me in keeping it that way.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.
04-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #105
Pentaxian

^ Indeed!

I have been waiting for this camera since early last year. I normally never pay the "early adopter fee", but this camera might be the only exception *if* it delivers the goods.

Going back to the original post in this thread, if everything goes according to what Les Numeriques said, we should know/have something by the end of August this year if we base it on the KP release date. As long as we know/have something at least by the end of the year, I'll be happy with that.

I'm hoping that Pentax is either putting all the finishing touches into this camera or already putting it into production as we type.
Closed Thread