Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #361
Pentaxian

You're anything but fine with Pentax not being doomed, Ron. OTOH we'll never found out if I'm fine with them being doomed... because for that, it has to happen.

06-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #362
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - let's stay on topic and away from each other's proclivities for positive vs. negative outlook. We all know which of us leans in each direction. Let's leave it at that, please.

Thank you
06-15-2017, 06:54 AM - 3 Likes   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
nothing Pentax does is really noticed all that much by the broad mass of folks.
I think this is the key source of most all the angst amongst the I-wish-Pentax-would-do-well-but-they-can't-possibly-pull-it-off crowd. Why do some of us seem to insist on equating broad mass-market appeal with achievement of corporate goals? Ricoh Imaging has all but said they are not interested in the Camry / Big Mac sector of the market, and the products they release certainly validate that.

If R.I. was to compete there, they would 1) have to have 10 times the buying power and production capacity they have now, 2) need a corporate structure willing to invest tons into marketing and distribution for maybe a decade before they get returns, and 3) 90% of units sold would have to be like Canon Rebels. #1 is a non-starter, #2 just won't happen, based on how Ricoh has managed all it's business units and what has happened in R.I. so far. That leaves #3. I would have (and I dare say, many photography enthusiasts would have) zero interest in a Pentax Rebel.

This isn't about mirror / no mirror, either. If no mirrors, the "broad mass of folks" will still buy cameras that are Rebel-like in their marginal build quality, lack of innovation, and absence of features which enthusiasts love but the "broad mass" doesn't appreciate and wouldn't know what to do with even if they were there. In fact much of that feature set is an explicit turn-off to the "broad mass" crowd, because: I don't understand, I don't want to learn, it's too complicated, I don't need that - I just want the camera to take a picture I can upload to facegram.
06-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #364
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I am fine with that. What if they are.... How does that make you feel?
i won't feel anything It's just if the process could be automated it would be faster. Besides that, i'm pretty happy with it too.

06-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #365
Veteran Member

I'd say rather that price, not form factor, defines the mass market. It could be a point-and-shoot, a bridge camera, a Rebel or D3xxx DSLR or a cell phone camera.

For photographic intent and usage, they are all functionally equivalent in this market segment. Not because of their capabilities, but because of how they are used. The only reason (some) DSLRs are part of this segment is that they can be made so cheaply.

Canon and Nikon certainly *tried* to make DSLRs the mass market camera by spending millions showing famous people in happy scenes holding their DSLR.

It seemed to work for awhile, but the legions of DSLRs whose kit lens has never come off and mode button permanently in green mode is testament that the mass market was not truely converted.
06-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #366
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax may in fact turn out to be the first camera company to trust it's success to internet buz and user promotion. Their philosophy seems to be if you produce a good product interested people will find out about it. Easy to do because of the huge respect for Pentax as a legacy company. No matter how small their market share, people want to review their gear. It may in the end turn out to be a more viable strategy than the Canon and Nikon media blitz's with their million dollar price tags.

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
It seemed to work for awhile, but the legions of DSLRs whose kit lens has never come off and mode button permanently in green mode is testament that the mass market was not truely converted.
Every time I have to clean my sensor I wish I was like that.
06-15-2017, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax may in fact turn out to be the first camera company to trust it's success to internet buz and user promotion.
They shouldn't, because 9 out of 10 messages is surrealistic criticism of unfounded Pentax problems. One day, I took some pixel shifted shots with the K1, one of them turned out to be out of focus. Reading Pentax forum thread the same of how bad is Pentax K1 AF, and seeing a couple of people selling their K1 in the market place, I was p**sed off. Turned out the K1 AFS was set to FPS prio as I had set this mode once and forgot to reset it to Focus Prio. To be reassured, I did 50 shots in AFS focus prio, and 50/50 were in focus. Most criticism is unfounded, often propagated by some individuals who actually never used what they are talking about, because they repeat what they read somewhere on the web, and they like to have their word for anything and everything.

06-15-2017, 11:44 AM - 5 Likes   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They shouldn't, because 9 out of 10 messages is surrealistic criticism of unfounded Pentax problems. One day, I took some pixel shifted shots with the K1, one of them turned out to be out of focus. Reading Pentax forum thread the same of how bad is Pentax K1 AF, and seeing a couple of people selling their K1 in the market place, I was p**sed off. Turned out the K1 AFS was set to FPS prio as I had set this mode once and forgot to reset it to Focus Prio. To be reassured, I did 50 shots in AFS focus prio, and 50/50 were in focus. Most criticism is unfounded, often propagated by some individuals who actually never used what they are talking about, because they repeat what they read somewhere on the web, and they like to have their word for anything and everything.
Their biggest shortcoming is on the lack of information they release on how to maximize use of their settings. Leaving marketing to chance is one thing. Not publishing how various settings are supposed to function for a given task is ridiculous. How to make best use of the settings shouldn't be left to chance.

I'm just glad Audiobomber loves to play with his camera and publishes the results of his experiments.

There was a time in my life i would have been all over these things. I'm just not that smart anymore.
06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #369
Veteran Member

I think this is the key source of most all the angst amongst the I-wish-Pentax-would-do-well-but-they-can't-possibly-pull-it-off crowd. Why do some of us seem to insist on equating broad mass-market appeal with achievement of corporate goals? Ricoh Imaging has all but said they are not interested in the Camry / Big Mac sector of the market, and the products they release certainly validate that.

If R.I. was to compete there, they would 1) have to have 10 times the buying power and production capacity they have now, 2) need a corporate structure willing to invest tons into marketing and distribution for maybe a decade before they get returns, and 3) 90% of units sold would have to be like Canon Rebels. #1 is a non-starter, #2 just won't happen, based on how Ricoh has managed all it's business units and what has happened in R.I. so far. That leaves #3. I would have (and I dare say, many photography enthusiasts would have) zero interest in a Pentax Rebel.

This isn't about mirror / no mirror, either. If no mirrors, the "broad mass of folks" will still buy cameras that are Rebel-like in their marginal build quality, lack of innovation, and absence of features which enthusiasts love but the "broad mass" doesn't appreciate and wouldn't know what to do with even if they were there. In fact much of that feature set is an explicit turn-off to the "broad mass" crowd, because: I don't understand, I don't want to learn, it's too complicated, I don't need that - I just want the camera to take a picture I can upload to facegram.
DSLRs _are_ the broad mass of the market these days. It's where Pentax play, for the most part (MF too of course). Pentax do compete and have no choice about it. Every feature on a new Pentax camera is immediately compared to the competition by one and all. Everyone thinks Pentax is in competition even if Pentax don't. What we all want is a successful company with a special buzz. Otherwise the Ricoh board might decide it's a hobby biz that's just not interesting enough to pursue. Who wants a boring hobby? The buzz of successful is massively powerful. It's one of the drivers of social media, for example. Don't be dull is a key thing here. But for that you do need some marketing.
06-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
DSLRs _are_ the broad mass of the market these days.
Except for the part where the most popular camera on the market is an iPhone according to flickr I believe. DSLRs aren't even close.
06-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #371
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Great post. (Thumbup)

06-15-2017, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #372
Veteran Member

Except for the part where the most popular camera on the market is an iPhone according to flickr I believe. DSLRs aren't even close.
Meaning? Camera stores sell cameras, not phones or even bananas. The DSLR is now the main form of full-on camera and is the industry's main generator of the folding stuff. It's crucial to Canon, Nikon and Pentax, at least for now.
06-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #373
Pentaxian

Meaning when people want images these days they usually turn to their phones. Most people don't even think of buying a camera.
06-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #374

The main part in this sentence is "according flickr". That means most photos uploaded to this page is taken by iPhone. Nobody says they are good photos, or bad photos, or a simple "noise" to show parties with friends.
Also, it does not say how many cameras owners DO NOT upload their photos there. Lots of uploads from mobile devices because it is easy to do via mobile app. And a lot of more serious photographers simply have dedicated webpages, or do not upload to flickr.
06-15-2017, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #375
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meaning when people want images these days they usually turn to their phones. Most people don't even think of buying a camera.
Until the day where they say "How do I take a photo like that?" and realise that they can't get there with their phone. That's when they enter the DSLR or mirrorless market. The thing is, for most people, they just make do with what they can get out of their phones. You don't need a DSLR for 7,000 selfies.
Closed Thread