Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'd be fine with Pentax going the adapter route. But FF mirrorless bodies will come; and when they do the back flange distance will shorten, and FF lenses will be able to shrink. So IMO it would be really stupid on Pentax's part to stick with the normal K-Mount just so they can support legacy lenses that won't autofocus with mirrorless cameras anyway.

I like OVF's myself, but EVF's simply have too much potential. As technology keeps getting better EVF's will surpass prisms. And Camera's aren't the only gadget going through this. I've seen prototype cars without windshields. The car just has multiple cameras on the front displaying all kinds of info and angles to the driver via a large LCD panel n the cabin.

09-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
So IMO it would be really stupid on Pentax's part to stick with the normal K-Mount just so they can support legacy lenses that won't autofocus with mirrorless cameras anyway.
Who says they won't? Focusing is lens-independent, for the most part.

Contrast-based focusing can work with any AF lens. (just don't ask the 4/3 camp; they'll say it isn't true )
09-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #153
Inactive Account

G1 Lumix G1 - a set on Flickr
09-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

Contrast-based focusing can work with any AF lens. (just don't ask the 4/3 camp; they'll say it isn't true )
I read that the problem with that is most SDM/HSM/SWM lenses simply aren't fast enough to be effective. Most would have serious lag making them almost unusable for anything other than stationary objects. Of course that could have been pure speculation.

Either way, after the mirror box is eliminated the diameter of the mount can be reduced, just like they did on 4/3's. So why stick with a larger than needed lens mount? The smaller the better when it comes to lenses for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Whoa, ok, now I have to have that camera. I hate to say it, but my K10D will be going on ebay when I get back from my NYC trip next Sunday. It's one thing to see pics of it next to other cameras, but seeing it actually being used really puts its size into perspective. It may not be my ideal walk around/hiking/street camera, but it's the closest thing on the market now (Unless Oly announces something better in the next few weeks).

09-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I hate to say it, but my K10D will be going on ebay when I get back from my NYC trip next Sunday.
Nothing to be hateful about One pentaxian leaves... another will fill your shoes hopefully with a used, bargain K10D.

Good luck with the 4/3's system. Lets hope it doesn't become a dodo like many other "innovations" before it
09-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #156
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote

Similarly, the Leica-Panasonic partnership in the point-and-shoot digital space is "knocking on death's door." Don't be surprised if there are no more Panasonic-Leica point-and-shoot digital cameras after Q1 2009.
photokina 2008 special - Leica User Forum
more at
Leica C-LUX 3 Datenblatt
Leica D-LUX 4 Datenblatt
and
digitalkamera.de: Leica M8.2 ohne roten Punkt und mit "Vollautomatik"
09-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
In theory yes.
But for the 4/3 micro system they claim that one reason for the speed advantage with their contrast AF over other makers contrast AF is because of the lenses being especially designed for fast re-checks of autofocus. Lenses not up to the task will be manual focus.
They choosed this solution instead of having a slow system, like Canon and Nikon's current implementation of contrast AF for their LiveView cameras.

09-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #158
Veteran Member

The last one is made in Germany, an original Leica construction, not a Panasonic re-design.
09-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I do like the 4/3rds format as a concept, but it is going nowhere. Where for instance is the sensor over 10mp? Should the Olympus E-3 be a lot more than 10mp when it claimed that it was a rival to full pro cameras? Should it not have been bigger?
Panasonic has just recently announced the 12Mp 4/3 sensor (it's used in the micro 4/3, G1 it is a true 4/3 sensor, "micro" only corresponds to the lens mount and no mirror, not the size of the sensor). The 12Mp could very well be implemented in a E-3 Super shortly.
But of course APS-C sensors also will be developed further on, as well as 4/3 and other formats.
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Samsung will compete:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/new_interchangeable_lens_system_co...1.html?aff=rss
09-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
That is one small camera, about the size of my old Fuji S5000

It will suit a certain market, for people who don't want the bulk of a full blown DSLR, but want a bit more flexibility. In fact, as mentioned in my previous thread, people who would normally go for a Bridge camera.

I can see that DSLR's will not be threatend, but Bridge cameras on the other hand.....

Maybe 4/3rds has finally found it niche with this sort of camera, rather than taking on DSLR's (and losing)

Pros/enthusiasts might even go for this camera as well, as a second back-up body which is discreet, or for when they want to be inconspicious, especially with the paranoia of the security services these days.

I might even part-ex my S6500 for this, keeping the Pentax gear for the more serious work.
09-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like this is the same size as Oly E420. So, if size was the only factor, wouldn't people have to choose the Oly instead of the Panny.
09-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #163
Veteran Member

i want one in the size/form of an MX/ME Super with the DA pancakes
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #164
Inactive Account

Compatability?

I would be able to use my pancakes with an extension tube (with light dropoff). Is the reverse true with Micro 4/3rds? If this format's lenses can't be used on a 'standard' APS-C where's the vendor-lock-in advantage for the manufacturer?
09-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #165
Inactive Account

Little Oly Olympus develops Micro Four Thirds camera: Digital Photography Review