Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Me wants.

Me has an ME; so me doesn't. Sure, it's not digital, but so what? They could make it digital.

08-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #17

Remember that all the pancakes will become non pancakes because they are still based on the original registration distance.

Besides w/o the mirror wide angles are supposedly easier to make?

Also, Phil Askey noted the contrast detection is very fast, I believe you can do that only by putting in a fast processor.

But then there's still the evf problem. Sharp I don't worry about, but lag I do. Perhaps a rangefinder-type optical vf add on?

One last note, as already said, the IQ of 4/3 sensor isn't far behind aps-c. I'm sure many ppl are willing to sacrifice that tiny bit of noise performance and DR.

I am really excited.
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't find 4/3 micro is very good idea. Compact - yes, light - yes. And it's all.
I will be happy with APS-C and FF from Pentax.
All system will have FF cameras, Oly invents bike.

As for me, it's just pre-announce. No real products. Need to wait and to see.
I think that Oly will have a small niche between cameras like LX3 and DSLR with micro 4/3 system. New prosumers with interchangeable lenses.

They have to make new line of lenses... I don't know if it's good or not.

The IQ of cameras will be lower than any APS-C's cameras. No doubts.
I think that Oly has to put more MP too in 4/3 sensor to sell it better.
I'm not sure that 12-14 МP camera of 4/3 micro with new lenses can make good results.

And I hate EVF and LV instead of optical VF. And what is about battery work in 4/3 micro cameras? EVF and LV have very high consumption.
Contrast AF is not very quick...
Oly/Pana aren't trying to compete with APS-C.

They're gunning for the likes of the Canon G9 - Semi-pro quality from compact/p&s size for those who simply can't carry around a DSLR.

It fits in with both companies' niches.
Panasonic is doing reasonably well in the P&S market, not so well with SLRs. Panasonic's 4/3 SLRs are outsold significantly by Olympus models.
Oly has a reasonably good P&S lineup (although they are nowhere near as dominant as they used to be in this market), but their DSLRs are known for being unusually compact, so they have a niche there. Micro 4/3 fits right between these in the market.

It doesn't fit in well with Pentax's strengths, who hasn't been doing very well at all in the P&S market but HAS been doing pretty well with SLRs.

If they can exceed the G9 in image quality in a camera that is not much larger, they'll make a killing.

Unfortunately the "interchangeable lens" thing will kill its portability. Even the slight protrusion of my DMC-LX1's lens kills its portability - The Canon G9 is thicker overall but the lens does not protrude when the camera is off, so there's far less to "catch" on things when sliding it into/out of a shirt pocket or holster.
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Thom Hogan expects other manufacturers to follow suit with an APS-C sized Micro camera.
Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

Hope it's Pentax. The rumored k2000D is supposed to be smaller but there is no way it will be close to the new Oly.

Although Thom Hogan is sensible enough, he has a world record of failed predictions...

08-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Oly/Pana aren't trying to compete with APS-C.
Unfortunately the "interchangeable lens" thing will kill its portability. Even the slight protrusion of my DMC-LX1's lens kills its portability - The Canon G9 is thicker overall but the lens does not protrude when the camera is off, so there's far less to "catch" on things when sliding it into/out of a shirt pocket or holster.
I think it will still be portable enough as long as they make a few pancake primes for it. They've already shown they can make them with the 25mm for their 4/3's SLR's, so I assume they will. I'm not looking for a micro sized Powershot SD1000; the LX2/LX3/G9 size range is fine; just something small enough to fit in a loose pants, or coat pocket. Zooms are probably out of the question though.

Plus, for times when I don't mind carrying a back pack the Olympus 12-60mm f2.8-4 might just be the only lens I'll ever need.
08-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm just hoping for a high quality interchangable lens camera that I don't need a dedicated bag to carry around. Something like this you could toss the camera and a couple lenses in the bottom of your day pack.
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

K mount to Micro-FourThirds Adapter

Funny nobody realized the possibility of a K mount to Micro-FourThirds Adapter.

They already announced a FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds Adapter and a K mount to Micro-FourThirds Adapter would be a relatively easy thing to do.

All DA lenses would become available for this compact type of camera. A welcomed option.

08-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

although interesting it all hinges on the quality of the EVF and for me the presence of small hq primes.

but as many people have mentioned already, this is a good step in olympus fulfilling the 4/3 promise, because the current cameras aren't really that much smaller and their lenses are still the same size as other marques.

i really don't get the 4/3 quality isn't as good as APS-C sensors, simply due to size, it's not much smaller at all after considering the difference in aspect ratio.
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #24

I'm still wondering why the hell Oly went the 4/3rds to compete with the current DSLR market instead of heading this way to begin with. They promised smaller cameras, and never really delivered, then came out with with a lump like the E3.

This should have been done from the start.

I'm interested for sure, it beats lugging heavy gear up a hill, I'll take a minor IQ hit and loss of the mirror/prism for compact.

Although Olympus really do have a track record of coming up with brilliant ideas then sorta of...screwing them up. I hope that doesn't happen with this...
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Now that Olympus/Panasonic have pretty much announced my dream system does anyone think there's a chance Pentax will compete in that market? I hope they do because the thought of DA limited quality lenses on a DA Limited body makes me drool.
They shoulda' called it the XA-D
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

its not for me, but I could see why many people would be attracted, esp when you look at da21 etc. but I think Ned B said in an interview a month or two ago that they are not planning on compete in this market at this stage or something to that effect

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/29877-ned-bunnell-inte...orter-com.html
08-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As I see it, a last desperate attempt to survive from the makers of a format that is at an evolutionary dead end.
08-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
its not for me, but I could see why many people would be attracted, esp when you look at da21 etc. but I think Ned B said in an interview a month or two ago that they are not planning on compete in this market at this stage or something to that effect

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/29877-ned-bunnell-inte...orter-com.html
He also said Pentax would not play in the low end of the market but the rumors seem to indicate that is exactly what they are going to do. Not to get off topic but Ned has shown me nothing so far. It appears he is stuck in the past as badly as Pentax engineering is. Oly is pushing forward with innovative small cameras, Sony is implementing LV better than anybody else, and Nikon keeps coming out with state of the art equipment. Pentax? Lucky thing Samsung bailed them out with the K20D sensor or their sales slogan would be "Last years innovations implemented badly at higher prices".
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #29
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
As far as IQ goes; I really don't think it will be an issue. The Oly E-420 looks great at ISO 100-800 and is usable at ISO1600, that's good enough for me, and I'm sure it's good enough for 95% of most other users as well. And dynamic range keeps getting better and better on APS-C and 4/3rs, so that's not an issue for me.

I do think this will be a wonderful compliment to an SLR, but I also think it will drastically cut into SLR sales as well if the price is right. This system should suit street shooters, soccer moms, and tourists better than an SLR system. That leaves only serious photo geeks, pixel peepers, portrait photographers, sports photographers, and pro's as the market for SLR's.
I don't think that IQ of E420 is great. Not bad. Maybe good. But it's 10 Mp camera. The customer like more Mp A350 is the best seller in Japan.
Lets wait for real product of 4/3 micro. Nothing to discuss.

If we have a look at the diameter of bayonet and body sizes of 4/3 micro, it's easy to understand that it's not p&s camera. It's small camera (with IQ between prosumer and APS-C) with
with interchangeable lenses and 4/3 sensor.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/146585-8979-9-2.html

The difference between 4/3 and 4/3 micro is not high.

Last edited by ogl; 08-06-2008 at 08:13 PM.
08-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't think that IQ of E420 is great. Not bad. Maybe good. But it's 10 Mp camera. The customer like more Mp A350 is the best seller in Japan. Lets wait for real product of 4/3 micro. Nothing to discuss.
You're right, we will have to wait for an actual product to form a true opinion on IQ, but I think it's fair to look at current 4/3's cameras to get some idea of what it will produce. From looking at sites like DP review I can understand how someone could think the IQ is not that good by looking at gray swatches and wine bottles at 100%, but when looking at photos the way they were meant to be viewed some of the results have been excellent. All these are from the E-510 (flickr doesn't have a 420 pool yet).

Flickr Photo Download: Stream over Rocks

Day 67 - striking a pose on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: we all need a little soulshine

Bifurcación vertical - Vertical bifurcation on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm just so excited that a manufacturer is finally innovating that I can hardly contain myself. I had given up hope on my "dream camera". I stuck with a Canon G2 until last January before giving up and buying a Pentax SLR because I saw Pentax's pancake lenses and assumed they would be the manufacturer to eventually produce a small light high quality camera. Photokina is coming up, so I'm not going to give up on Pentax until then, but if they don't announce a proper body to go along with their DA Limited's then I'm most likely dumping my gear on EBAY in preparation for the M43's. I've read time and time again that Pentax wants to be a niche player...well, here's their chance. Making DSLR's that are barely distinguishable from their Canikon counterparts sure isn't going to do it.