Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by take Quote
Got one Oly buddy demonstrate when compact body meet ZD ED14-35mm F2.0 SWD. This is how it will look:

Hmmm...kinda looks like an old Sony DSC-F707.

08-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
[...] the new M43's standard [...]
Has been a long way from the good old M42 standard to M43 now

Maybe, we really should call it differently, like mFT On the other side, why not confuse a bit
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I think the idea of micro4/3rds is brilliant. Really it's up to marketing and price setting. If either Panasonic or Olympus could come out with a beginner kit between $349 - $399 USD and advertised well - it could be a hit. Capture the people wanting a little more than thier point & shoots, but don't want to spend an arm & a leg - this would give them the option in the future to move up to a full 4/3rds. Get them to buy a lens and you've captured them - they've invested.
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #79
Veteran Member

i heard the new Pentax is going to have infinity ISO...

08-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #80
Veteran Member

DSLR's have large lenses, because of the mirror which requires the wider lenses to be retrofocus design. If you get rid of the mirror, lenses and body will be much more compact. I think that the design issue will be minimizing the shutter lag caused by the switching of sensor function of EVF to exposure. I would like to see a compact P&S with a APS-C or 4/3rds sensor and a fast fixed prime lens of 24 or 16mm. This would be a wonderful, always ready pocket camera. I still miss my Olympus XA 35mm FF with its excellent 35mm lens. I still have it, but don't use it any more. I always carried it in my flight suit pocket, before I retired from the AF.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I nevertheless don't understand why FF cameras can't be very small too. MX size is very feasible (was done 30 years ago...) after all.
08-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #81

Now that Olympus/Panasonic have pretty much announced my dream system does anyone think there's a chance Pentax will compete in that market? I hope they do because the thought of DA limited quality lenses on a DA Limited body makes me drool.
I doubt that Pentax would get into the format because it is a proprietary format.

However, if Pentax makes no announcement in 6 months or so I'm afraid I'll have to jumpy ship to Oly/Pan as soon as the first body is released. The only question is whether or not I will keep my K10D or sell it to buy a few lenses to go along with the Micro 4/3's body. I'd like to have both, because I really do enjoy using my SLR when I feel like carrying a back pack full of gear; the only problem is I rarely feel like doing that. I fully expect current DSLR image quality to be well above the new 4/3'system, but it just goes back to mentality that lower quality pics are better than no pics at all. And I know full well that I'd use the micro 4/3's camera 95% of the time just due to convenience. I simply don't know if I can justify keeping $1000 worth of photo gear that I only use 5% of the time.
If and when Olympus releases a micro 4/3 body and lenses, they won't be cheap. And image quality will go down a notch from APS-C, while the rest of the DSLR world will move up a few notches to full frame. In comparison with full frame DSLR cameras, the 4/3 system will cost around the same, it will be smaller, but image quality will be much lower. Certainly there are people who would be attracted by the small size, but they will pay a penalty in image quality.
08-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
I doubt that Pentax would get into the format because it is a proprietary format.
What camera system isn't proprietary? At least Micro 4/3's will have Oly, Panasonic, and Lecia all using the same mount. I'd love to see Pentax be the 4th. Perhaps together they stand a chance of competing with Canon, Nikon and Sony.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
If and when Olympus releases a micro 4/3 body and lenses, they won't be cheap. And image quality will go down a notch from APS-C, while the rest of the DSLR world will move up a few notches to full frame. In comparison with full frame DSLR cameras, the 4/3 system will cost around the same, it will be smaller, but image quality will be much lower. Certainly there are people who would be attracted by the small size, but they will pay a penalty in image quality.
I disagree about the cost. I don't foresee them being more expensive then SLR's. True, we'll have to pay more than we should for the latest greatest toy at first, but from a materials & manufacturer cost I don't see how they can justify charging more than they do for SLR's. The viewfinder and mirror box are big expenses on SLR's, and MFT's obviously won't have either. Oly's lenses are expensive. I'll give you that. However, like I've said in other posts, they simply have the most interesting line up of zooms in the market today; period. I don't think anyone else is even close. I mean sheesh, are you kidding me, they have a 24-120mm f2.8-4 equivalent with ultrasonic motor. It's an expensive lens, but unless you are a telephoto user that could easily be the only lens you ever need. If they make a Micro 4/3's version of lens that as well, it plus a 25mm pancake prime will be the only two lenses I need.

As far as IQ; as I said, it won't be as high as SLR's but it will be more than good enough 96% of the market (93% are already P&S owners + I estimate 30% of current SLR owners).
08-13-2008, 01:08 AM   #83

I disagree about the cost. I don't foresee them being more expensive then SLR's. True, we'll have to pay more than we should for the latest greatest toy at first, but from a materials & manufacturer cost I don't see how they can justify charging more than they do for SLR's. The viewfinder and mirror box are big expenses on SLR's, and MFT's obviously won't have either.
surely state of the art EVF could easily cost a lot, maybe more than a semireflective mirror. But of course they can use crappy EVF, or rear LCD live view only, but then they won't never compete with SLRs.

08-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
y, but then they won't never compete with SLRs.
I really dont think that is their intent at all. They are competing with high end PS camera, super zooms, prosumer g9 sort of stuff. This is a bottom up type of camera, not a top down.
08-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #85
Inactive Account

It sounds like people here thinks Oly came up with the 4:3 format. Pentax have a 4:3 format camera, a big one too:-)

Micro 4/3's with rangefinder is a great idea. I would buy one, because I don't have the money for a Leica M8.

I would buy a digital medium format Pentax 645D if it was alot cheaper than Hasselblad. Hope Pentax will get their head's out of their ***** on the 645D subject.

I would not buy a Pentax FF dSLR. The difference is not big enough. And CaNikon are way ahead of them on FF systems.

The only thing I want to see from Pentax, are:

- A small entry level dSLR (slightly bigger than Oly E-420)

- Make new and better APS-C dSLR's and lenses. (Remove live-view or make it better, no increase in mp, 14 is more than enough!)

- 645D medium format in the 5000$ range. (Weather and Dust Resistant, Shake Reduction.....)
08-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #86
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
Micro 4/3's with rangefinder is a great idea. I would buy one, because I don't have the money for a Leica M8.

I would buy a digital medium format Pentax 645D if it was alot cheaper than Hasselblad. Hope Pentax will get their head's out of their ***** on the 645D subject.

I would not buy a Pentax FF dSLR. The difference is not big enough. And CaNikon are way ahead of them on FF systems.

The only thing I want to see from Pentax, are:

- A small entry level dSLR (slightly bigger than Oly E-420)

- Make new and better APS-C dSLR's and lenses. (Remove live-view or make it better, no increase in mp, 14 is more than enough!)

- 645D medium format in the 5000$ range. (Weather and Dust Resistant, Shake Reduction.....)
Sounds like you and I agree on a great many things.

Will
08-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #87
Veteran Member

...For the most serious photographers that don't mind carrying a purse around all the time full of gear DSLR's are still going to be the way to go; but until someone figures out how to make a pocket size SLR then people like me will be all over this new type of camera.
Exactly! "Serious Photographers" are few compared to the "rest of us"
We are the money; we are the market drivers (upee!!!!!)
I always thought that the R (mirrors and the rest stuff) is a serious draw back in SLR. It was just a necessary evil, waiting technology to eliminate it. Is that time near? For the moment Olympus just told us that is going to take the first steps.
To start is half way to completion!
Till then I'm happy with my Pentax.
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #88
Veteran Member

A Pentax APS-C camera with no mirror-pentaprism and LCD monitor would be a nice back up camera to use in such occasion when the slap of the mirror is like a thunder: theatre/ballet for example, or when photographing birds froma very near hide. Or when you want to be very light, slap on a limited and you would have a nearly pocketable camera.
08-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #89

I consider this Micro 4/3 system a stupidity. Why? Because in few years they will come with idea of some Nano 4/3 system. And we'll get cameras with 20 Mp sensors half the size of curent 4/3 sensors. Actually, we'll get same cameras same as other on the market at time except you'll be able to switch lenses on it. Maybe even some Nokia/Olympus combo with Nokia N99 and Zuiko 2-8/4 lens
It'll be SLRs with smaller lenses, smaller sensors, shorter focal distance... don't we allready have that but with fixed lenses?
08-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
I consider this Micro 4/3 system a stupidity. Why? Because in few years they will come with idea of some Nano 4/3 system. And we'll get cameras with 20 Mp sensors half the size of curent 4/3 sensors. Actually, we'll get same cameras same as other on the market at time except you'll be able to switch lenses on it. Maybe even some Nokia/Olympus combo with Nokia N99 and Zuiko 2-8/4 lens
It'll be SLRs with smaller lenses, smaller sensors, shorter focal distance... don't we allready have that but with fixed lenses?
The concept here is not just to get smaller. It is to get smaller yet maintain near-SLR image quality. This is why this system has caused such a stir. You are right, there are plenty of fixed lens pocket cameras already, but the second they go over 5 megapixels their noise level goes through the roof. Plus there is the DOF issue. Small sensors simply have too much DOF. The 2X crop ratio of MFT's may not produce 35mm quality background blur with a 50mm lens, but it will be a whole hell of a lot better than the Canon G9's of the world.