Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
If it was anything like this mock up then it is more then tempting, it will be a must have. The only question is to keep the DSLR or to sell it to pay for the MFT's system.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2843271072_06a37081df_o.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2842435913_194a93c35c_o.png
The problem is that that's a fan-made mockup, not something from Olympus.

09-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yes. The first Micro 4/3 DSLR we see will not look that compact ... but it is amazingly compact compared to other DSLRs ... and surprisingly full-featured for a camera that small. Wait a few days and you'll see it. I can say no more.
09-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I thought that was pretty obvious, but the point still remains the same; if it is anything like...

Here is another interesting mock-up, Panasonic this time:

http://www.dpnet.com.cn/html/2008-8/20080822_39647.html

That one also looks rather appealing to me. Hopefully, Panasonic/Olympus won't go and F*#@ it up.
09-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I thought that was pretty obvious, but the point still remains the same; if it is anything like...

Here is another interesting mock-up, Panasonic this time:

很诱人 松下Mini4/3新机想象图 - 新闻 迪派影像 - 数码摄影 数码商城 数码冲印 数码杂志

That one also looks rather appealing to me. Hopefully, Panasonic/Olympus won't go and F*#@ it up.
The first Micro 4/3 camera you see won't be quite as compact and slick as that mock-up either, but still impressive. Keep an eye open at 2:00AM EST tomorrow.

09-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To me it seems those are "nothing more" (no this is not a negative point) to a Sigma DP1 done the right way.

A pity for the sensor but that's still quite a lot better than crappy P&S ones.
09-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #111
Forum Member

Wowsers its small!

The Panasonic Lumix G1

Panasonic DMC-G1 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Only two lenses for it, but small primes on this baby would be awesome!
09-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Mmm not *that* small it seems but it would be easier to judge with a e420 next to it IMO.

Also note the following statement at the end:
QuoteQuote:

*Lenses that are not compatible with the contrast AF function can be used with manual focusing. There are some limitations to other functions when the lenses other than LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-F5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. and LUMIX G VARIO 45-200mm/F4.0-F5.6/MEGA O.I.S.
Mmm well that stinks IMO but it would be better to know more about it, it may be a small issue but I'd find that annoying to say the least.
09-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #113

Now a wider audience will be introduced to sensor dust. Good job Pana

09-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Now a wider audience will be introduced to sensor dust. Good job Pana
Yes, good job. Looks like a FZ-50 replacement. I expected to look like the Sigma DP1. Maybe the Olympus will or why not, the Samsung.

Key is the price. A good one (for the simple kit) would the around the same as Nikon D40 (not x), Sony A200, Olympus E-410.

More, now people will have the opportunity to mount on it all kind os old lenses given the (very) short registered distance.

If it has a quick AF (like entry level dSLRs) and no shutter lag (not more than dSLRs) than will be something. Yes, good job.
09-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #115
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Yes, good job. Looks like a FZ-50 replacement. I expected to look like the Sigma DP1. Maybe the Olympus will or why not, the Samsung.

This is a p&s replacement IMHO not a DSLR one but it's a very welcomed step ahead. It seems build with quality components and the AF system (according to dpreview) is very fast. All in all kudos to Pana!

Key is the price. A good one (for the simple kit) would the around the same as Nikon D40 (not x), Sony A200, Olympus E-410.

Looks like 840 USD for the kit in Japan which is steep for an entry level but only marginaly higher than DP1 for a much better camera on paper and with interchangable lens.

More, now people will have the opportunity to mount on it all kind os old lenses given the (very) short registered distance.

If it has a quick AF (like entry level dSLRs) and no shutter lag (not more than dSLRs) than will be something. Yes, good job.

I second that!
Radu
09-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #116
Veteran Member

The beginning of a battle...

Panasonic probably patented all.
Others who want to go this way have to develop their own system.
VHS vs. betamax, blue ray vs HD all over again.
09-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm not *that* small it seems but it would be easier to judge with a e420 next to it IMO.

Also note the following statement at the end:

Mmm well that stinks IMO but it would be better to know more about it, it may be a small issue but I'd find that annoying to say the least.
Well it basically means that to get full advantages with the micro 4/3"-system, you need micro 4/3"-lenses. You won't have the same functionality with 4/3" lenses using the micro-adapter. Was anyone surprised by this? I wasn't.

So Oly/Pana has created lots of lens mount confusion.
And those that wants, in the future, to grow up to a "real" DSLR from micro 4/3" system, can't use the m4/3" lenses on the new body. So, m4/3-users that wants to upgrade from m4/3 are not tied to 4/3, they can choose whatever they like.
Here, Oly/Pana has a lost business opportunity.
09-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Well it basically means that to get full advantages with the micro 4/3"-system, you need micro 4/3"-lenses. You won't have the same functionality with 4/3" lenses using the micro-adapter. Was anyone surprised by this? I wasn't.

So Oly/Pana has created lots of lens mount confusion.
Indeed.

And those that wants, in the future, to grow up to a "real" DSLR from micro 4/3" system, can't use the m4/3" lenses on the new body
Sure but that was expected.

So, m4/3-users that wants to upgrade from m4/3 are not tied to 4/3, they can choose whatever they like.
Well yes but that's plain stupid, I'd have expected all 4/3 lenses to AF normaly on a micro4/3. This is a very stupid missed opportunity IMO.
09-12-2008, 03:36 AM   #119

Indeed.

Sure but that was expected.

Well yes but that's plain stupid, I'd have expected all 4/3 lenses to AF normaly on a micro4/3. This is a very stupid missed opportunity IMO.
I think is more simple:

Standard 4/3 system competes in the dSLR market and micro 4/3 system competes in the compact cameras market (compact zoom and high end compact cameras- Sigma DP1/Canon G9/etc. - depending on lens you use - might also "fight" with lower end dSLRs regarding the price).
If one wants to leave micro 4/3 system and go for a dSLR , Olympus could make promotions for micro 4/3 system owners in which they could include let's say, buy back system like "Buy a E-3 camera and we'll buy your micro 4/3 stuff ... " or something similar. There are solutions.
09-12-2008, 03:48 AM   #120
Veteran Member

There was mount-confusion in the 4/3 earlier this year with firmware needed to upgrade Oly lenses to work with Pana-body that had contrast detection AF (or was it Pana lens on Oly body?) So already within the 4/3 system there is a confusion between certain Oly and Pana bodies and lenses with contrast detect autofocus. This seems to have carried on to the micro 4/3-system. I guess this is because a sort of technical limitation, and it may suggest that new lenses on 4/3 system may work better on micro 4/3 than older 4/3 lenses.

And there, the "universal 4/3 standard" was suddenly a thing of the past.
Now the question is, who will make lenses for micro 4/3?
Oly and Pana surely yes (Leica micro 4/3 will surely come) but who else - Sigma?
Since Oly and Pana wants this micr-system to be less open than the 4/3, they may want to make all the lenses themselves - at least in the beginning.