Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Survey forecasts demand for weather-proof cams

According to this article on dpreview:

Weather-proofing topped the list as the most desirable feature camera buyers are looking for, according to a recent survey. J.D.Power’s Camera Usage and Satisfaction Survey revealed that, while point and shoot, and DSLR camera users are missing this attribute in their cameras, a majority of ultra compact users hope for more internal memory in future models. The survey also reveals that Internet product and review sites are the most important resource in guiding buyers with their market research.

Owners of Point and Shoot, Premium Point and Shoot, and DSLRs all placed weather- and water-proofing at the top of their wish-lists, while Ultra compact camera users want to see internal memory increased to several Gigabytes, rather than the Megabytes typically offered at present.

Looks like Pentax is one step ahead, already offering weather-proofing on the K200D as well as the K20D.

I've been in light rain with my K10D and it's reassuring to know that the camera is weather-sealed.

08-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's one of the main reasons I got the K10. But I still wonder.

As a social anthropologist, I shoot outdoors almost exclusively and wonder when I need to worry about the camera. Obviously, it should not be ‘under” water, but drizzle? Downpours? Heavy fog? Rain forest?

At what point do I risk sacrificing the camera for a nice or rare non-sunny shot?
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #3

the photographic equivalent of SUV & trucks

People want their camera capable of inclined weather and adverse condition. It's an entirely different question if they actually expose their tender body out that way. Just sorta like the air hauler we got around here.
08-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How "weather-proof" is the K10D? I'm glad to know I have it, but I still get nervous taking it out in any type of adverse weather conditions.

08-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I love the weathersealing of my K20D and 50-135mm lens. I am looking forward to buying a 16-50mm in order to gain wide-angle weathersealing, and also looking forward to the upcoming 60-250mm. I might even consider the upcoming 55mm F1.4 to replace my 50mm F1.4 if the price isn't too extravagant.

I've had several times of shooting in the rain in the past few months, the camera's always come through flawlessly. I even used it on an theme park water ride where we got fairly soaked (Splash Mountain at Walt Disney World), leaving it out the whole time to get pretty well drenched, with no issues whatsoever. What's the point of weathersealing if you don't use it?

I've also shot a little bit in the snow and at a beach. Again, the camera just keeps on working.

The weathersealing of the K200D sounds great but they really should have added weathersealing to the updated kit lens, and have it a standard feature of all upcoming lenses.
08-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Looks like Pentax is one step ahead, already offering weather-proofing on the K200D as well as the K20D.

Completely irrelevant, since most people have never even heard of Pentax.
08-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Irrelevant, no. It shows that on this, Pentax is ahead of users need which IMO is very nice for Pentax, supposedly always late in everything.

That being said, yes John Doe doesn't know Pentax and Pentax should defenitely push way forward their ads promoting weather sealing. Maybe, then, they might get known somewhat.

08-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Or smart enough to have learned about pentax
08-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
How "weather-proof" is the K10D? I'm glad to know I have it, but I still get nervous taking it out in any type of adverse weather conditions.
Someone has run it under a kitchen sink (w/ the non-DA* lens taped up w/ a plastic bag) before...

On the P&S front, the submersible Pentax W30 is popular w/ kayakers...
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weatherproofing was the biggest reason I chose the K10D. My very old Pentax SP 1000 film SLR survived just about everything and still works today. I realize that electronics are more sensitive to the elements than our old mechanical cameras but I want a camera I can take outside without worrying if it will break. So far so good.
08-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Still raining a little bit here..
08-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was out shooting in a brief/steady but light rainfall at the local zoo today, i can safely say the "weather-proofing" on the K200D works, i can't say much for the kit lenses though

btw out of my peripheral vision i saw faces of "OMG what is he doing!!!" and others (non Pentax) dared were doing the plastic baggy routine while i was catching the moments
08-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #13

How "weather-proof" is the K10D?
It's very weather-proof
But you need Star* lens for full weather resistance, since only they are sealed for water and dust.
08-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I believe all camera manufacturers should be issued a book of recommendations to incorporate in their product designs. This guide will be entitled "The Bloody Obvious".

I mean really, the number of countries where rain occurs is not exactly tiny. Combine this with the fact that digital cameras don't respond well to water and you have to wonder why water resistance isn't more common. Actually you don't; the answer is obvious... cost-cutting. Much better to let people get water on their compact's sensor, writing it off and causing them to go buy another camera.

Pentax and Olympus have already considered The Bloody Obvious. Everyone else needs to catch up.
08-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quite...
Had mine with the DA* 50-135 and the DA*16-50 out in adverse weather on multiple occasions. Even stuck the K10D with DA*50-135 under the shower head when I first got it with no adverse effects.

The rain I was in recently was much stronger than anything my shower head could produce (damn water limiting devices).

Anyway, under the strongest down pouring rain (for about 15 minutes), the only sign I had of leak was in the connection ports door. A slight wee bit of a drop of moisture inside the weather sealing.
Nothing inside other parts or inside the lens opening that I could detect.

It is a great feeling when you can go out with a bunch of buddies bragging about their Canikon cameras... until the rain starts. Even a slight mist and they climb under a shelter, but I go out and keep shooting.
At a recent photo club event, I was the only one with any photos for the day... well any photos not taken from under the shelter. :-)