Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #286
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This past week I was on a college campus photographing squirrels, and for the first time my K-30 + 55-300 became totally confused with respect to focusing. I did recover
Got Squirrel Shots? - Page 82 - PentaxForums.com
but it was a momentarily unnerving event.
You don't think seeing a grown man walking around a college campus with a big camera, taking photos of squirrels, might have been a bit of an unnerving event for everyone else?

02-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #287
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You don't think seeing a grown man walking around a college campus with a big coamera, taking photos of squirrels, might have been a bit of an unnerving event for everyone else?
Walking around a college campus these days should unnerve a grown man.
02-12-2017, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This past week I was on a college campus photographing squirrels, and for the first time my K-30 + 55-300 became totally confused with respect to focusing. I did recover
Got Squirrel Shots? - Page 82 - PentaxForums.com
but it was a momentarily unnerving event.
A well-known occurrence with squirrels. The reason is that their rather metronomic "tail shivering" displays are at exactly the right frequency to interfere with the PDAF array on your camera. Manual focus is advised.
02-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #289
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
A well-known occurrence with squirrels. The reason is that their rather metronomic "tail shivering" displays are at exactly the right frequency to interfere with the PDAF array on your camera. Manual focus is advised.
These two were going way too fast for me to keep up with that. I followed previous advice from normhead - quickly switched the AF.C setting to "FPS priority", and got the "chase" picture I needed to start my story sequence.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 11:49 PM ----------

You don't think seeing a grown man walking around a college campus with a big camera, taking photos of squirrels, might have been a bit of an unnerving event for everyone else?
Part of the reason I got my K-30 is that is doesn't look like a serious black camera.

02-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #290
mee
Pentaxian

Part of the reason I got my K-30 is that is doesn't look like a serious black camera.
Well it sure doesn't look like a smartphone or a point+shoot..

When I take my K-5 II out, I get asked periodically who I work for.. as in which newspaper...
02-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #291
Veteran Member

When I take my K-5 II out, I get asked periodically who I work for.. as in which newspaper...
In my years of toting a (white) K-x and (red) K-30, I was never asked that. But, I did get lots of friendly questions, usually including the colour of the camera. Now, with my black K-1, everyone just says, 'wow, that's really professional' or something similar. The splash of colour makes a difference.
02-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If I was doing wildlife for a living and someone was paying for my gear, I'd have a $7000 Nikon D5 and a $12000 600mm f4 to go with it.
If it was me, there's only one thing I know for certain, I'd end up really hungry.
02-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #293
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I got that kind of question with my Super Program and then all-black T90-inspired Canon cameras; since much of my photography is "street photography like", in other words there are people in the shot I want and I don't want the presence of my camera to affect them, I thought a colorful camera might cause people to look once and then write me off as a goofy guy with a goofy camera - and that is basically how it has worked out.

02-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Then there's the crazy alien using prehistoric equipment la Mamiya c330 and nobody cares. Then you're free. Really. That's so hard to get its enjoyable.

With usual stuff though...
02-13-2017, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do they even know about The Beatles, those... youngsters?
Of course. My 18 year old son has put up the four portrait posters from my white album up on the wall above his vinyl player But he's a musician, so he's not your average music consumer.