Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^^ Which is why I think, in the end, screwdrive will be limited to premium bodies only, and eventually there will be an fully-electronic mount and a huge video / MILC splash that will rock Pentaxia.

New record viewers on PF when that happens.*

* Most users ever online was 12,641, 12-17-12 at 05:55 PM.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-08-2017 at 11:59 AM.
02-08-2017, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

I don't see how K1 or any recent lens is "one foot in the past".
- OVF is not a past thing and a Pentax with an EVF would not be regarded as a big issue
- mecanical aperture coupling was kind of a past thing but is still the standard for all but 1 lens so no way they could remove it any time soon
- screw drive AF almost the same remark applies

We are open to better connectivity, touch screen, joystick, new af module, better video support, ...
A mirrorless 645FF with a new mount, smaller lenses and a good adapter for existing lenses would not be rejected

No I don't see how we are in the past and how this is a limitation for Pentax but I'm french so supposed to be the reference in conservatism according to your view
02-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
But i have to rant about Pentax biggest problem: The users (not all, but many). The long time users want new cameras, but they want Pentax to keep them in the past, making it harder for Pentax to get in the future. They want to be able to use their old glass, be quirky and nerdy.
I'm interested in understanding this. I value your viewpoint particularly because you make a living with your equipment. Is the K-mount holding Pentax back?
02-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
No I don't see how we are in the past and how this is a limitation for Pentax but I'm french so supposed to be the reference in conservatism according to your view
Wish i could explain better Im not saying this is a bad thing, i only say that its making the road forward much slower.

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I'm interested in understanding this. I value your viewpoint particularly because you make a living with your equipment. Is the K-mount holding Pentax back?
No, not the K-mount it self..Wish my english was a bit better Ricoh should concentrate 100% about new things, not pleasing those still loving the past..i hope it gives some kind of meaning.

02-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
To go mirrorless yes, prior to KAF4 mounts are an issue as a new shorter mount means that if you want to keep backward compatibility you'll have to add an adapter which handle the mechanical coupling of the aperture and it would probably not provide AF for screw drive lenses (probably not impossible but not a simple design). With KAF4 and motorized lenses I don't see the issue and I don't see how we could be responsible of those design choices or how kenspo could be involved at this level of strategic choices. I think it's more a feeling that is expressed there.

Maybe Ricoh is late because of the time spend to update K3 FW for KAF4 support of a single lens after the user reaction ?
02-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's more a feeling that is expressed there
Yes that post was a personal rant
02-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #97
Pentaxian

No, not the K-mount it self..Wish my english was a bit better Ricoh should concentrate 100% about new things, not pleasing those still loving the past..i hope it gives some kind of meaning.
I agree that they should concentrate on brand new products, but when you own all the best in class glasses from Pentax, from small A and FA limited to big FA*600mm, i can tell you that you don't bother trying their new lens production, because all of those "oldies" are exceptionnal with K-1 !
02-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I don't think Moores law applies so readily to optical glass.
It's not the glass that's the problem, it's the device it's built in to. Though the situation doesn't apply to Pentax currently, think of the new crop of focus by wire lenses. Good luck adapting those in the future...

02-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I agree that they should concentrate on brand new products, but when you own all the best in class glasses from Pentax, from small A and FA limited to big FA*600mm, i can tell you that you don't bother trying their new lens production, because all of those "oldies" are exceptionnal with K-1 !
Exactly..Then its harder to get new users..they stand almost still by only satisfying current users.
02-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
1) New lens production for K1 from Pentax is the DFA*70-200. It does look great but is all but a replacement for "small A and FA limited" or "big FA*600". Let Pentax provide the new lenses before jumping to the conclusion nobody buy them because of existing ones.
2) I'm pretty sure you'll buy them if well designed anyway.
02-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly..Then its harder to get new users..they stand almost still by only satisfying current users.
It would be a long transition, with an extended period where they would offer advanced products for legacy users and new products for younger users. From a brand strategy standpoint Pentax and Ricoh run parallel, share core technwhere possible, and eventually Pentax accepts Ricoh tech, with premium traditional Pentax cameras.

+
02-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #102
Pentaxian

To go mirrorless yes, prior to KAF4 mounts are an issue as a new shorter mount means that if you want to keep backward compatibility you'll have to add an adapter which handle the mechanical coupling of the aperture and it would probably not provide AF for screw drive lenses (probably not impossible but not a simple design). With KAF4 and motorized lenses I don't see the issue and I don't see how we could be responsible of those design choices or how kenspo could be involved at this level of strategic choices.
I agree that mechanical aperture coupling and screw drive will have to be dropped. Those people who want to use old lenses on a mirror-less body can buy an adapter to take care of those -- they'll need an adapter to allow for the greater registration distance regardless.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2017 at 15:49 ----------

Wish i could explain better Im not saying this is a bad thing, i only say that its making the road forward much slower.

That's a relief.
02-08-2017, 12:21 PM - 4 Likes   #103
Pentaxian

I don't at all see why they need to drop screw drive focusing. Just because you guys don't like it? You'd think this is a pretty known quantity for ricoh/pentax at this point.
02-08-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #104
Pentaxian

Now I understand.

I wish I knew any Norwegian at all. One would think I would have learned some after spending so many months in the wheelhouses of oil exploration ships piloted by Norwegian bridge officers. Their English is too good to provide any opportunity to learn Norwegian.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2017 at 15:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I don't at all see why they need to drop screw drive focusing. Just because you guys don't like it? You'd think this is a pretty known quantity for ricoh/pentax at this point.
It's slow, noisy and takes up extra space if you have both screw drive and and electronic motor in the same lens. That's why all the manufacturers are abandoning it.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2017 at 16:10 ----------

1) New lens production for K1 from Pentax is the DFA*70-200. It does look great but is all but a replacement for "small A and FA limited" or "big FA*600". Let Pentax provide the new lenses before jumping to the conclusion nobody buy them because of existing ones.
2) I'm pretty sure you'll buy them if well designed anyway.
The big * (star) lenses are rare as hen's teeth anyway, so there aren't enough of them to go around for all those who want to buy them. Not to mention the fact that the modern coatings, electronic focus motors, and weather resistance are big improvements that make newly designed lenses attractive to potential customers.
02-08-2017, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

I wont even say anything about what this Thom claim to know!

But i have to rant about Pentax biggest problem: The users (not all, but many). The long time users want new cameras, but they want Pentax to keep them in the past, making it harder for Pentax to get in the future. They want to be able to use their old glass, be quirky and nerdy. Im struggling every day to get new and young users to get over to Pentax. But its a hard task..Because the things said above, doesn't attract the younger and moneystrong generation at all..It even scares some of them away. Why do you think Olympus, Sony, Fuji etc attracts so much new photographers? They do the opposite of Pentax. If you want Pentax to grow bigger, catch up with the big ones and attract new and young photographers, the solution is to bury the past and look ahead into the future. I know Pentax is sentimental for many, but most people wants the newest and the best, because for them it is a tool. Even the french saw that at the end with their Peugeot and Citröen. Now they make state of the art cars for the future and they are rising.

That said, Pentax is trying to please everyone..But its hard to move forward when you one foot in the past and try to put the other one in the future.

And dont get me wrong..I love K-1 and the new lenses..But my main job is to attract new users..and THAT is not an easy task...
[...]
Please say you still believe in DSLRs...

I'd like Pentax to become the brand to push another evolution on DSLRs (maybe replacing the quick return mirror with a variable light transmission mirror); I'd like to improve on their unique features, and on the generic features (e.g. AF); I'd like them to launch more modern lenses, and I plan to buy a few.

As long as they do that, I'm fine with other side projects like Theta or whatever.