Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 168 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
The long time users want new cameras, but they want Pentax to keep them in the past, making it harder for Pentax to get in the future. They want to be able to use their old glass,
I would be happy to use my old glass adapted to a mirrorless body with a sensible battery life that isn't a Sony. Ignoring Leica there are no other full frame options out there. By all means Ricoh go mirrorless, most of mirrorless development can be used in dslrs as well (in live view which is essentially mirrorless mode).

02-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
1) New lens production for K1 from Pentax is the DFA*70-200. It does look great but is all but a replacement for "small A and FA limited" or "big FA*600". Let Pentax provide the new lenses before jumping to the conclusion nobody buy them because of existing ones.
2) I'm pretty sure you'll buy them if well designed anyway.
I have DFA 150-450, but I am not a potential user of 70-200 (having the tank-build Tokina 80-200 with correct IQ when slighly stopped down).
I'd probably buy into new UWA prime, if significantly better and not too costy than Laowa or Irix... which i doubt
02-08-2017, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
It's slow, noisy and takes up extra space if you have both screw drive and and electronic motor in the same lens. That's why all the manufacturers are abandoning it.
Noisy sure, slow, on k3 seems fine. I like that it removes one point of failure from the lens.
02-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Noisy sure, slow, on k3 seems fine. I like that it removes one point of failure from the lens.
Why even bother with old tech? The new 2.8 FF zooms shows very good forward thinking

02-08-2017, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why even bother with old tech? The new 2.8 FF zooms shows very good forward thinking
Attracting new users? One of the key selling features to the brand when I switched was the ability to use old glass. Also, I imagine they can crank out the limiteds and other screw drive lenses for very tidy profit, with all the tooling already in place.

I like that the screw drive lenses can still manually focus even if your motor is dead, can't say the same for most drive by wire systems.

Don't get me wrong, the new zooms are amazing! I just think the older screw drive system has some merit as well.
02-08-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

Few years ago I suggested (when Adam was making a list of questions for a CP+ interview) that Pentax should start phasing out the mechanical aperture linkage, and go for an electronic one. Just sayin'
Here's the interview:
CP+ 2014 Interview with Pentax in Japan - CP+ 2014 | PentaxForums.com
02-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Few years ago I suggested (when Adam was making a list of questions for a CP+ interview) that Pentax should start phasing out the mechanical aperture linkage, and go for an electronic one. Just sayin'
Here's the interview:
CP+ 2014 Interview with Pentax in Japan - CP+ 2014 | PentaxForums.com

02-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #113
Veteran Member

I just think the older screw drive system has some merit as well.
They sure do, but it doesn't take Pentax forward. Most people doesn't want the same as you. Here's some of the issues i addressed earlier. Just see where most people go.
02-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They sure do, but it doesn't take Pentax forward. Most people doesn't want the same as you. Here's some of the issues i addressed earlier. Just see where most people go.
Ha, I most likely will have no real say in anything Pentax or Ricoh does. I'm just trying to put my two cents in to add a counter point here.
02-08-2017, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #115
Veteran Member

Ha, I most likely will have no real say in anything Pentax or Ricoh does. I'm just trying to put my two cents in to add a counter point here.
Hehe..everybody is free to have their wishes and opinions And your two cents are YOURS..And no one can tell you to say otherwise. I just pointed out the issues with making Pentax growing and getting faster up to the others in the marked
02-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #116
Pentaxian

I came over to Pentax from Fujji and Nikon a couple of years ago. I came for one thing "PIXEL SHIFT".

For continued profitable growth, Ricoh/Pentax needs to get photographers to switch from other systems to Pentax. They won't do much of that just with a bit lower prices.

Also, they can't survive on what loyal existing Pentaxians are willing to buy.

What they need to do include:

1. More fast and accurate focusing K mount lenses ( both Pentax and Third Party) AND
2. New camera models with another technological innovation (like pixel shift) AND
3. Better repair and warranttee service

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-08-2017 at 03:40 PM.
02-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #117
Pentaxian

And adds one point of failure to the camera body. I keep hearing "glass is forever", but I'm not convinced that is still true, assuming it ever was. Yes, some people want to continue using their "old glass", but when new lens technology is introduced, lots of people ask "will that work with my old body?" The complaints I hear most often here are about video and AF. I don't know when/whether Pentax is going to address the video issues, but I am convinced that new lens technology is essential to bringing Pentax up to Canikon on AF.

BTW - In my 20 years as a Canon user, I never had a lens fail on me, and I never heard fellow users complain about lenses failing.

---------- Post added 02-08-17 at 05:46 PM ----------

Attracting new users? One of the key selling features to the brand when I switched was the ability to use old glass. Also, I imagine they can crank out the limiteds and other screw drive lenses for very tidy profit, with all the tooling already in place....
True for established users of upper-tier systems; not so much for new users or users of lower-tier systems. I'm guessing that Pentax will continue to support screw-drive in at least some upper-tier systems, but removing that motor would be an obvious way of making lower-tier cameras slightly smaller. slightly lighter, and slightly less expensive.
02-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
While keeping backwards compatibility, of course.
02-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
While keeping backwards compatibility, of course.
Electronic aperture (like that in the 55-300 PLM) breaks compatibility, though.
02-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #120
mee
Veteran Member

I wont even say anything about what this Thom claim to know!

But i have to rant about Pentax biggest problem: The users (not all, but many). The long time users want new cameras, but they want Pentax to keep them in the past, making it harder for Pentax to get in the future. They want to be able to use their old glass, be quirky and nerdy. Im struggling every day to get new and young users to get over to Pentax. But its a hard task..Because the things said above, doesn't attract the younger and moneystrong generation at all..It even scares some of them away. Why do you think Olympus, Sony, Fuji etc attracts so much new photographers? They do the opposite of Pentax. If you want Pentax to grow bigger, catch up with the big ones and attract new and young photographers, the solution is to bury the past and look ahead into the future. I know Pentax is sentimental for many, but most people wants the newest and the best, because for them it is a tool. Even the french saw that at the end with their Peugeot and Citröen. Now they make state of the art cars for the future and they are rising.

That said, Pentax is trying to please everyone..But its hard to move forward when you one foot in the past and try to put the other one in the future.

And dont get me wrong..I love K-1 and the new lenses..But my main job is to attract new users..and THAT is not an easy task...
Man I've said this numerous times and its fallen on deaf ears..

Offering screwdriven, premium lenses in 2017 is a crime. We are one step above peddling a car with our feet (ala Flintstones). I can only imagine showing someone the current prime lineup for K mount and having to cover for these old relics. It doesn't matter if optically, they're lovely if people can't get their heads around the packaging. Tough sell.

Perhaps I can read between the lines though and see where Ricoh is heading in the future though.

I think Fuji suceeds, however, because they use a vintage design but have very modern hardware underneath. Modern hardware/technology being the key point.