Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Would it need an air scoop?
You have to buy that one as accessory.

02-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I care about is ISO at 1600....

This doesn't look any better than my k3, sadly.

Last edited by normhead; 02-11-2017 at 03:54 PM.
02-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If what normhead suggests is true (and it's norm, so of course it is) then the K-5 II/IIs twins are going to provide better noise performance at ISO 1600 than the KP.

Who wants to buy my K-5 II to find out? I will sell it for whatever a new K-1 goes for. Deal?
02-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The K-5II is not even competitive to a K-70 with regards to the sensor. Let alone the KP.

The KP is as obviously good as the Nikon FF. Maybe the D750 is a lame crippled down plastic camera, but it at least had average FF image quality, which means it should have had a major advantage of any APSC. But it did not.

02-11-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
K1 shows much less chroma noise than any previous camera and they seem to have applied the same tech. on the KP.
Chroma noise is still very significant with other brands of cameras.
I am very sceptical about this. First of all, chroma noise really isn't a problem at all because RAW converters can get rid off it completely with basically no penalty in quality. I didn't even realise how much chroma noise images have at high ISO until I accidentally unchecked the chroma noise reduction option in Lightroom.

Second, the fact that Pentax somehow gets rid off chroma noise in RAW whereas other manufacturers don't leads me to believe that rather than having a better sensor or something like that, they are simply baking noise reduction into the RAW file. Which I am strictly opposed to - they should leave the RAWs alone, especially because chroma noise is such a non-problem and so easy to handle.
02-11-2017, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I am very sceptical about this. First of all, chroma noise really isn't a problem at all because RAW converters can get rid off it completely with basically no penalty in quality. I didn't even realise how much chroma noise images have at high ISO until I accidentally unchecked the chroma noise reduction option in Lightroom.

Second, the fact that Pentax somehow gets rid off chroma noise in RAW whereas other manufacturers don't leads me to believe that rather than having a better sensor or something like that, they are simply baking noise reduction into the RAW file. Which I am strictly opposed to - they should leave the RAWs alone, especially because chroma noise is such a non-problem and so easy to handle.
Your pont is only applicable if the said sensor has been used by the other brands you talk about. And we aren't even sure. Talk about jumping to conclusions...
02-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The K-5II is not even competitive to a K-70 with regards to the sensor. Let alone the KP.

The KP is as obviously good as the Nikon FF. Maybe the D750 is a lame crippled down plastic camera, but it at least had average FF image quality, which means it should have had a major advantage of any APSC. But it did not.
My K-3 was also very similar to the Nikon D750. The lw/ph was 100 lw/ph difference, 2700 lw/ph compared to 2800 lw/ph for a D750.
That is simply not a noticeable difference. SO would we be surprised a KP is close to a D750, hardly.

I got into a huge back and forth with a Nikon user here on the forum once. So, I looked at a lot of Imaging Resources test shots before coming to this conclusion. MY conclusion, save a pile of money, get a K-3. His conclusion spend the extra money, get a D750. Sometimes the same people looking at the same data come to different conclusions.

02-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I really don't think you could get the same results just by applying chroma NR to K-3's RAWs...
02-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I keep hearing that Fuji and others "bake" their raw files - but I don't know, and I don't know whether any manufacturer exactly copies values from sensor to raw file. The test should be what we see in the raw files when two cameras are compared.
02-11-2017, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I really don't think you could get the same results just by applying chroma NR to K-3's RAWs...
Why? You move a little slider in Lightroom and the chroma noise vanishes into thin air. Why wouldn't that work in camera?
02-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

You're forgetting "the same results", and I'm not talking only about the noise - but other stuff like detail and colors.
02-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

We were looking at a comparison with some camera yesterday, the KP had better noise, the other had better detail. Until you equalize the noise, you have no idea which is better, and that is probably the one thing DxO is good at.
02-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

Who is shooting at 25600 regularly though? We can make each camera's output into a mushy, noisy mess then not be able to tell which is which... how is that beneficial in choosing a camera?

I'd rather see detail comparisons at 1600 or even 3200...
02-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Also, I went ahead now and compared the full-size samples of the KP and D750 at ISO 6,400 (which is more realistic than ISO 25,600 or 51,200 or whatever). The D750 is clearly better, showing less luminance noise.
02-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks nice. No full frame killer, but nice.

Biggest thing about full frame in higher iso levels is that it keeps dynamic range better. For some reason or other everyone seems to focus on noise and while that's something, it isn't everything. Still, it is a crop camera that will be usable at iso 6400 for snap shots and that's better than the K3.