Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will Ricoh Make A "FULL FRAME GR" Camera In The Near Future?

In his blog today, Lloyd Chambers speculated - "Seems to me its time for ... Ricoh to make a full-frame Ricoh GR."

Does he know something that we don't know?

Do you think this will happen? What features would you like to see in a full frame GR?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
02-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Would make sense. The GR has a very solid fanbase and is pretty much unique in its way, only one meh Nikon clone out there.
But they must keep the size in the same ballpark.
02-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[Edit:] I have no internal insight or information on GR.

My guess is, if Ricoh ever move GR to a FF sensor the body would have the same form as currently, and keep a single, fixed focal length, Ricoh-branded lens - It would probably need a D-Li109 battery at least, vs. the RB-65.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-13-2017 at 01:26 PM.
02-13-2017, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another speculative post in the rumors section. Thom or Lloyd know just as much as we do. Not a rumor.

02-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
In his blog today, Lloyd Chambers speculated - "Seems to me its time for ... Ricoh to make a full-frame Ricoh GR."

Does he know something that we don't know?

Do you think this will happen? How do you think a full frame Ricoh GR would differ from a K1? And most importantly, would a full frame Ricoh GR take Pentax K lenses?
Maybe this is the "surprise" some have anticipated at CP+? Sounds a bit doubful since the Ricoh fan club is unlikely to welcome a price hike of 300-400 percent for something which is no longer pocketable either, but who knows. There is form in the Leica Q and the Sony RX1 series if we are talking fixed lens. The Leica Q gathered high praise and I've seen some superb shots from it online, but Ricoh could come in with a far less costly camera that was still amazingly good and with a healthy profit margin. The Leica Q is 3500 pounds here, quite cheap for a Leica, while the RX1 is around 2500 pounds.

If Ricoh produced an ILC FF, well anything could happen but it would not be a GR. It would be a very different departure.
02-13-2017, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Banned

The GRII is a 669 euro camera. Making it a 36mp full frame 28mm/f2.8 lens compact with no stabilisation for 1999 euro will need to find new fans.
02-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

Oh God, the price, the size! The beauty of the GR lies in the combination of small size, superb handling and excellent image quality. This combination commands a premium price that a niche market is ready to pay.
Edit: and I own a GR.

02-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
npc
Veteran Member

Probably not with the 36mpix sony sensor due to its color casts problems with short register wide angle lenses. Although, since it is a fixed lens camera anyway, they might just add a color correction profile it in the camera firmware ...
02-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Oh God, the price, the size! The beauty of the GR lies in the combination of small size, superb handling and excellent image quality. This combination commands a premium price that a niche market is ready to pay.
Edit: and I own a GR.
I don't think that size will de an issue. With no Shake Reduction inside, the sensor fysically is just a little bigger then aps-c is. It just adds half an inch to the width of the camera.
02-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

eventually, for sure.

but what hold me from buying one is the dust problem. Make it a WR GR and will sell like hot cake.
02-13-2017, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Plenty small lens in this full frame GR

02-13-2017, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't think that size will de an issue. With no Shake Reduction inside, the sensor fysically is just a little bigger then aps-c is. It just adds half an inch to the width of the camera.
I suspect the electronics would be bigger, the heatsink too, possibly a bigger battery would be needed too.
The couple lens/sensor should be tailored ($$) to remain small. This architecture of electronic sensors makes them quite different from film.
02-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Much bigger electronics. Back LCD screen. Might have in-body SR. Larger optics (because it's 2017 and we have different expectations). Maybe an EVF.
And, of course, expensive.

I don't see it happening... the GR, IMO, is APS-C.
02-13-2017, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As much as I would like to see a FF GR, I doubt they've had the R&D time to even evaluate that prospect. My guess would be an updated model with the new 24Mp sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

R&D... that's a good point. A FF GR, IMO, should have things like fast on-sensor AF and better video (just because it would be required at that price) - which means a new sensor than the K-1's.
I hope for an updated GR with the KP's sensor, SR and WR - for a reasonable price. It would be a nice alternative to the K-1, for when I want to travel light