Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Rupert sometimes if you peck long enough...

02-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #77

My film GR was a fantastic camera, particular for rock climbing/mountain photography (Niche application?). the 28mm focal length was ideal and the body much more portable than my current compact a Canon G15, which has a smaller sensor. I'm often tempted to get a digital GRII but the price is a little off putting. One thing that may swing it for me would be an optical viewfinder (like the film original) without too much disruption to the form factor

Last edited by Sheffield Kevin; 02-22-2017 at 01:10 PM.
02-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sheffield Kevin Quote
My film GR was a fantastic camera, particular for rock climbing/mountain photography (Niche application?). the 28mm focal length was ideal and the body much more portable than my current compact a Canon G15, which has a smaller sensor. I'm often tempted to get a digital GRII but the price is a little off putting. One thing that may swing it for me would be an optical viewfinder (like the film original) without too much disruption to the form factor
I've often thought the same for mountain/road biking. An SLR is a little big.
02-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Amazon fire sales can help

02-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #80
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Rupert sometimes if you peck long enough...
Agree, but sometimes it is hardly worth it! I watched this little guy peck for 30 minutes and that tiny grub was all he got.

Regards!
02-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #81
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
In his blog today, Lloyd Chambers speculated - "Seems to me its time for ... Ricoh to make a full-frame Ricoh GR."
Does he know something that we don't know?
Do you think this will happen? What features would you like to see in a full frame GR?

It will not happen.
If it happens, though, then it must be a different camera concept altogether. It will be much bigger and heavier.
APS-C is the maximum that can be put inside current digital GR body.
02-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #82
Pentaxian

What's even the point? What is there really to gain with an FF GR body?

02-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #83
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What's even the point? What is there really to gain with an FF GR body?
Today's hi-res FF sensors almost rule out the possibility of such a small camera; not that it is not possible to capture fine images with them inside a pocket camera, but the utility does not justify expenditure nor practicality. Is the K-1 sensor inside the GR body a practical solution to anything?

For a more considerate capture of such sensors, cameras must be bigger and optically even more excellent, and must change their current usability. Or, must change their imaging philosophy.

Even if they put in the next GR a 24MP sensor, simply because there is no other alternative and 16MP sensors are all phased out, GR stops making current sense, and begs to be used differently.
02-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Today's hi-res FF sensors almost rule out the possibility of such a small camera; not that it is not possible to capture fine images with them inside a pocket camera, but the utility does not justify expenditure nor practicality. Is the K-1 sensor inside the GR body a practical solution to anything?

For a more considerate capture of such sensors, cameras must be bigger and optically even more excellent, and must change their current usability. Or, must change their imaging philosophy.

Even if they put in the next GR a 24MP sensor, simply because there is no other alternative and 16MP sensors are all phased out, GR stops making current sense, and begs to be used differently.
I dunno. Leica cameras would probably be pretty dang interesting for the form factor, if it weren't for the mark-up.
02-28-2017, 04:00 AM   #85
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I dunno. Leica cameras would probably be pretty dang interesting for the form factor, if it weren't for the mark-up.
Ricoh can make a Leica Q-like camera, no doubts. All things considering, it may be the Fuji X100 killer, and Leica Q killer, and Sony RX1 killer too.
If it is FF, based on 35mm FoV optics, with tele (50mm) and wide (24mm) adapters, both of which allow for cropping, it can cover everything from 24mm to 75mm, and be the only camera one ever needs. But will they do that?
I think that such a camera has its place in the world, and can easily dominate its market niche.
03-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #86

Ah, a kindred spirit.

Yes, for me the absence of an optical viewfinder in ANY camera is a major downside. I have a Minolta Himatic G film camera: I love it and paid only $7 for it in a thrift store. I adore it! Even with the lack of a range-finder or any kind of focussing aid the camera is a joy to own and use. Basically I would like a digital camera with the same characteristics, including metal construction, heft and the intangible "charms" (appearance, ergonomics, etc.). I have attached a picture for your delight.

So.......... like you, I find the Ricoh GR cameras very appealing, although I have never been lucky enough to own one. There are only two factors that prevent me from buying one. First, although they are inexpensive compared to digital SLRs, they are still expensive for my budget. Second, they lack a an optical viewfinder. If the GR had the latter I would be much more seriously tempted to buy one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z20fd  Photo 
03-15-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

My first digital camera was a compact camera of sorts. From my POV, it was a failure; I used it for nine months and then gave it to my daughter. The issue with it was nothing like sensor size {although it did have a smaller sensor} the issue was flexibility, or its lack of flexibility. With it, I was back to where I was when my primary camera was a range-finder camera; it was a very fine camera, but it gave me just one focal length, and many things were just beyond it {no pun intended}. Getting my Pentax ME SE opened the whole world of telephoto lenses to me - I've never looked back, and I have no interest in looking back.

03-15-2017, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: Foveon or Samsung sensor - take into account volume pricing discounts on Sony sensors, especially using the current KP or K-70 sensor in a GRIII as incremental volume that benefits the entire APSc family.

Business decisions are always compromises.
03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
RE: Foveon or Samsung sensor - take into account volume pricing discounts on Sony sensors, especially using the current KP or K-70 sensor in a GRIII as incremental volume that benefits the entire APSc family.

Business decisions are always compromises.
Sigma is holding back Foveon as an alternative to the Sony 24mp sensor.

It's a shame Samsung is in such bad shape as their 28mp BSI sensor could be an alternative. As we all know Pentax has had a relationship with Samsung in the past which included sensors. Samsung may be in a position to offer cut rate prices. It seems they have discontinued development of their camera division.

The NX500 was an excellent offering from Samsung. The Super AMOLED touch screen allowed for focus point changes and even where you wanted the NX500 to meter by touching the screen.

Super AMOLED screen allows for the curved edges were they could have shutter speed, ƒ stop or metering displayed on the GR. Looking at the back of the GRII there is a raised 3 1/2 inch rectangle the LCD is set in. It would be nice to see a 3 1/2 inch Super AMOLED screen fit there with the curved edges.