Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 04:32 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
NO, NO, NO. You're going to buy APS-C and medium format. You don't want to make the same mistake again and buy the biggest compromise system available
Ah yes, I had forgotten. Yes, medium format, you are right, it's the best. My thinking was to sell my K1 system, buy Nikon FF for the prime lenses and buy GFX50 with GF32-64 and GF120 macro, for my sunday landscapes kit. Or maybe wait for the next Canon EOS R 75Mpixel camera or the next Nikon Z 61Mp camera, because those future FF systems will be close to the MF I can afford (I would buy the GFX100).

---------- Post added 07-01-20 at 12:38 ----------

Now that's interesting...
In fact , MF with 4 primes is very expensive. And MF with zoom is as good as FF with sharp edge to edge primes. A high res. full frame with the best primes can produce as good as MF with zoom. It's only that the choice of lenses must be very strick on FF. And yet, the only FF camera with super sharp prime that can rival MF is the Sony A7RIV. But I hate Sony, that's the problem. Now if Ricoh makes a Pentax K2 with 61Mp sensor in it AND the super sharp prime lenses like the DFA*50, I'll consider it, but so far Ricoh haven't delivered the primes.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-07-2020 at 04:41 AM.
01-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
And the K-1 has been decapitated
No ... that's just a demo model that was dropped hard.

Had to be used somewhere, ya know ...
01-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote

SX7?!?
Yes ... I have one just like that.

Really, just like my Canon AE-1 medium format SLR ... and the Nikon FE large format, plus the Olympus OM 40 in 110 film format.
01-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ah yes, I had forgotten. Yes, medium format, you are right, it's the best. My thinking was to sell my K1 system, buy Nikon FF for the prime lenses and buy GFX50 with GF32-64 and GF120 macro, for my sunday landscapes kit. Or maybe wait for the next Canon EOS R 75Mpixel camera or the next Nikon Z 61Mp camera, because those future FF systems will be close to the MF I can afford (I would buy the GFX100).

In fact , MF with 4 primes is very expensive. And MF with zoom is as good as FF with sharp edge to edge primes. A high res. full frame with the best primes can produce as good as MF with zoom. It's only that the choice of lenses must be very strick on FF. And yet, the only FF camera with super sharp prime that can rival MF is the Sony A7RIV. But I hate Sony, that's the problem. Now if Ricoh makes a Pentax K2 with 61Mp sensor in it AND the super sharp prime lenses like the DFA*50, I'll consider it, but so far Ricoh haven't delivered the primes.
And what will you buy next year, then?

I agree that Pentax should have had a couple of new primes ready long time ago. On the other hand, it is possible to, you know, look at photos from quite a few years back and think they look kinda ok.

Edit: reading this again, it comes across as arrogant, which was not my intention. My point was just that no matter what you/we buy today, there will be something promising to be a little bit better tomorrow.

Last edited by H. Sapiens; 01-07-2020 at 09:19 AM.
01-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Olympus OM 40 in 110 film format.
That's cool !
01-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

How long it's been this time, 2 weeks? You needed only 2 weeks this time to change you opinion completely.

2 weeks ago you said:
- full frame is the biggest compromise
- you're going to medium format for large prints that no full frame can touch no matter the resolution
- as a second system you go to APS-C because APS-C is better than full frame due to af area selection, fps, etc.
- 24mp is more than enough on a full frame and 36mp, 45mp or 61mp won't make much difference in images
- 61mp from Sony is too much for a full frame sensor and diffraction and other stuff will make any such resolution camera a pain for landscape photographers

In only 2 weeks to changed your speach, again. Now:
- you plan to sell your K1 for a higher mp full frame camera from Nikon or Canon
- Sony would be nice in terms of specs but you hate Sony (a month ago you said you don't hate Sony)
- a full frame with proper lenses can match a medium format
- APS-C is out it seems because you only speak now about high resolution full frames

I'm waiting to see where you go from here with your choices.
01-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
On the other hand, it is possible to, you know, look at photos from quite a few years back and think they look kinda ok.
Yes, my digital photos from a decade back look great, except if I want to print to my today's standard they kinda look soft. What happened to digital photography in 15 years is like what happened to TV sets between VGA and FHD. Not only the TV set are now flat and much ligther than the ones with cathodic tubes, but the visual quality is a lot better now. When I watched on VGA screens at the time I enjoyed it, but even if the vid content is still great now, the display quality by today's standards is strickingly no good. The truth with digital cameras is that digital was a trade of film quality against immediacy and convenience of digital (no need to develop film rolls). Digital only caught up analog a few years ago. Now I delighted that we finally have such good digital cameras in by 2016, and that satisfaction show up in decreasing sales of new cameras, that's the sign that cameras weren't that good 10 years ago when most of us felt they needed to upgrade to the next model as soon as the next model came out with more mega pixels.

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 08:08 ----------

2 weeks ago you said:
Yes, but this was in 2019. Now we are in 2020. Someone said "only idiots don't change their mind". We have to adapt to changes. Say Canon comes up with 75Mp and they demonstrate it's as good as medium format, this will affect medium format sales for sure.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-08-2020 at 12:06 AM.
01-08-2020, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

^ A decade back there was the K-7. If pictures taken with a K-7 'kinda look soft', it's because of the lens or because of the photographer, not the camera.
01-08-2020, 02:33 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes, but this was in 2019. Now we are in 2020. Someone said "only idiots don't change their mind". We have to adapt to changes. Say Canon comes up with 75Mp and they demonstrate it's as good as medium format, this will affect medium format sales for sure.
Next month maybe the new Pentax APS-C will be released and you're going to change your mind again. At least compared to another forum member (ED - Photo Universe or something like that) you don't buy the gear you're talking about. That guy (Ed) bought a few systems in 2-3 years and none was good enough for him.
01-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Next month maybe the new Pentax APS-C will be released and you're going to change your mind again
The discussion in PF was very useful, there is always something to learn from guys using another system. As we open up to other ideas, we find solutions to our problems and eventually change our minds, that's a necessary thing to do to achieve progess with cameras.
01-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

The discussion in PF was very useful, there is always something to learn from guys using another system. As we open up to other ideas, we find solutions to our problems and eventually change our minds, that's a necessary thing to do to achieve progess with cameras.
I also find forum discussions useful, but not because they will change my mind regarding gear in general. I tend to participate at discussions where people are talking about their cameras and lenses and where they also try and post images because:

1. when people talk about their gear I can focus on the things they don't like or don't work as they expected. I make a list with all their problems and if I'm interested in a particular camera, first thing I do when I rent that camera is to test it based on that list from users and then I focus on different tests.
2. We all have different needs and expectations and most of the times images help me to see the other expectations. I can see that from composition, editing, available light, etc.

I value so much the stores who have renting options because they give me the best opportunity to buy the gear I want and need.
01-27-2021, 02:32 PM - 6 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

Due to the new website (ricoh-imaging.com), much stuff is lost.

But here you go again:
Here are also high Res images of the PDF-files: DicaHub

There's an redundant thread about the posters there:
Pentax SLR Camera Timeline Digital Poster High Rez - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 01-30-2021 at 05:58 AM.
01-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #43

None of links are active
How to download these posters now ?

K.

Last edited by krzys128; 01-30-2021 at 08:14 AM.
01-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krzys128 Quote
None of links are active

K.
I was able to look at "poster 1" and "poster 2". but they were downloaded via the 'Wayback Machine'.
01-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krzys128 Quote
None of links are active
All the links i wrote in my post from 28th of February 2021 are alive.
Just click them to download