Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2017, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Then the question is thrown to Tamron reps... why aren't we seeing more K mount lenses from you? If the agreement is their designs are only Pentax branded for K mount (Tamron licensed). Then the question jumps to Ricoh in why aren't you licensing more designs from Tamron?

For instance the SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD -- WHY isn't that in K mount? If K mount is the budget concious 'bang for the buck' brand, then that should have been offered in K mount 7 years ago.. when it was launched for F and EF. If the answer is 'because you didn't have a FF DSLR' well we do now.. launch that puppy. Not to mention all the modern primes they now offer... let's go go go.

If those take less time.. then why not offer those all together for K? Even if they're Pentax branded.. and they charge 15% more than regular Tamron branded lenses. Pentax doesn't have to do much R&D since the formula is offered to them on a platter.

There is a such thing as being too cautious/conservative... despite the notion that 'People are paid big bucks to know the market much better than you in your armchair', Let me remind everyone those same people occasionally tank companies (See Kodak.. and maybe even Nikon's list of woes).
Same answer - not enough sales blah blah blah. There's no agreement preventing them to release K-mount lenses on their own.

If Pentax would rebadge too many Tamrons, their brand value would be diminished. "15%" more - the difference is much bigger in Europe - to get the same thing as the competition? And not much extra? It can't possibly work.

I want Pentax lenses, not Tamrons. I filled an extensive lens survey explaining what I'd want (as in: actually buy). If I wanted Tamrons I'd be using another brand by now...

02-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking at Nikkor 200-500, will Pentax present an equally affordable long reach lens?
02-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #153

My questions:
-Will DA* lenses get an updated PLM focus motor? Are there plans for an optically improved DA* 16-50 plm?
-Will you give proffessional service with change cameras to the premium bodies (645Z, KP, K1) and lenses?
-How do you position the autofocus on the market now? Will you compete with Nikon D500/D5 or Canon 1DII autofocus performance?
-Are there plans for reintroduce hardware video SR? Future cameras will have 4K video and/or high fps video and clean hdmi output?
-Are you planning to release new fast long primes?
-Will you add features like automated focus stacking, STF simulator with KAF4 lenses (at least), and automated focus calibration to KP or newer bodies?
-Is there any chance to open the image sync api and make a competition like made for the Theta cameras?

Edit:
+1 Are there any plans for makeing better flash support? Wireless control, wireless triggering, more coherent results, Manual mode ven camera is in Av/Tv, manual HSS, manual secnd curtin sync,...

Last edited by 08amczb; 02-21-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Forgotten question
02-21-2017, 03:27 AM   #154
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Same answer - not enough sales blah blah blah. There's no agreement preventing them to release K-mount lenses on their own.
Or is there? Who knows what agreement Pentax has with Tamron to gain access to their lens designs (and presumably manufacturing lines) for some of the new D FA zooms.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Will Ricoh GXR will have an heir, in spirit if not direct technology derivation?
02-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Man, the K1 and DFA*70-200 together is a killer combo
totally - one that still amazes and delights me

---------- Post added 02-21-17 at 03:40 AM ----------

I want Pentax lenses, not Tamrons
me too
02-21-2017, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Or is there? Who knows what agreement Pentax has with Tamron to gain access to their lens designs (and presumably manufacturing lines) for some of the new D FA zooms.
Such an agreement makes no sense, considering the timeline.
Tamron's last K-mount lens was announced in 2009 (2008 models, delayed for Sony and Pentax). Do you really believe that Hoya Corporation - which was only interested in reducing costs - would pay Tamron to prevent them from releasing K-mount lenses, without getting anything in return? Nope, Tamron decided on their own.

The only deal between Tamron and Ricoh Imaging is the one asking Tamron to make K-mount lenses... tuned and rebranded as Pentax.
02-21-2017, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Better yet, Pentax lens kits could just contain the parts and tools needed to carry out the swap. It's no more than unscrewing some screws, I'm guessing?

(...)
A bit more than that. You also have to adapt the focus command/control system, i.e. a different motherboard and associated software are needed.

02-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #159
Forum Member

Is Pentax planning a lens docking station to calibrate lenses, as being offered by Sigma or Tamron?

Don't know if this has been posted above already. Thread is getting lengthy.
02-21-2017, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #160

I will always be in love with Pentax, but for the past few years I've been using Canon M and FujiFilm bodies with my K-mount collection.
I love the freedom that short flange mirrorless bodies give you.
Pentax has the Q, but I would really like to see an APS-C (or larger) sensor model, ideally with in-body stabilization.
And if you could have an adapter that allowed for auto-focus with the current lens lineup, I wouldn't care if there were any new/native lenses for the foreseeable future.
Any possibility of releasing a new mirrorless body any time soon? (The more affordable, the better)
02-21-2017, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Then the question is thrown to Tamron reps... why aren't we seeing more K mount lenses from you? If the agreement is their designs are only Pentax branded for K mount (Tamron licensed). Then the question jumps to Ricoh in why aren't you licensing more designs from Tamron?

For instance the SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD -- WHY isn't that in K mount? If K mount is the budget concious 'bang for the buck' brand, then that should have been offered in K mount 7 years ago.. when it was launched for F and EF. If the answer is 'because you didn't have a FF DSLR' well we do now.. launch that puppy. Not to mention all the modern primes they now offer... let's go go go.

If those take less time.. then why not offer those all together for K? Even if they're Pentax branded.. and they charge 15% more than regular Tamron branded lenses. Pentax doesn't have to do much R&D since the formula is offered to them on a platter.

There is a such thing as being too cautious/conservative... despite the notion that 'People are paid big bucks to know the market much better than you in your armchair', Let me remind everyone those same people occasionally tank companies (See Kodak.. and maybe even Nikon's list of woes).

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 06:55 PM ----------

Oh and maybe can we get a 1.2x crop mode on K-1 please? That should work better for many DA lenses which are just out of the FF CoC.
The question simply boils down to "Do you think lack of third-party support makes it difficult for Pentax to maintain their share of the DSLR market or have you found that most buyers are perfectly happy with Pentax's own offerings, particularly lenses?" Perhaps another Q for the list at the show. Customers who "must have" access to say Sigma lenses are probably only a small and perhaps very small part of Pentax's overall base of users. What we don't know is whether users in general see third-party support and an ample catalogue of modern lenses as part of the overall offer any good camera company these days is expected to have. Even if customers have no intention of buying a single one of those extra lenses they will mark down a company which doesn't offer them, maybe to the point of choosing another company instead.

The catch here for Ricoh is that if they stoutly maintain that third-party support has little or no bearing on Pentax's overall sales and base of users, they are as good as admitting that their strategy is confined to servicing the slowly fading market of old-timers and veteran gentleman photographers. Unless, that is, Ricoh are able to sketch a bold vision as another Leica, Fuji or Olympus. No one bangs on about lack of third-party support for those brands. It's mainly a DSLR thing.
02-21-2017, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #162
Pentaxian

Let's not burn any bridges with questions designed to force a "Pentax is Doomed"-type of answer, even if we like to "prove them wrong"
Besides, I would not assume that only "old-timers and veteran gentleman photographers" are buying OEM lenses.

What we're seeing here, perhaps, is the after effect of the past compete-with-low-prices strategy, and Hoya's own cost-cutting-then-sell strategy which postponed any chance of recovery. Thus, Pentax attracted people interested mainly in price, and at the same time lost those who wanted more (delaying the FF is such an example).
People interested mainly in price. 3rd-party lenses being cheaper. I see a connection here

But what about the others? Perhaps Adam could construct a question - is Pentax moving even higher end than the K-1? What about the APS-C flagship, as the KP doesn't seem to be it (and the competition's cropped flagships are $2000)?
Or perhaps the declining market forces them to move slow and steady?
02-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #163

I think the lack of third party support is good for Ricoh/Pentax, they are in monopol position at their lens market. Every sold third party lens decreases the profit of Ricoh. They wont rush to get third party support.
02-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #164
Pentaxian

Great sentiments!

Let's not burn any bridges with questions designed to force a "Pentax is Doomed"-type of answer, even if we like to "prove them wrong"
Besides, I would not assume that only "old-timers and veteran gentleman photographers" are buying OEM lenses.

What we're seeing here, perhaps, is the after effect of the past compete-with-low-prices strategy, and Hoya's own cost-cutting-then-sell strategy which postponed any chance of recovery. Thus, Pentax attracted people interested mainly in price, and at the same time lost those who wanted more (delaying the FF is such an example).
People interested mainly in price. 3rd-party lenses being cheaper. I see a connection here

But what about the others? Perhaps Adam could construct a question - is Pentax moving even higher end than the K-1? What about the APS-C flagship, as the KP doesn't seem to be it (and the competition's cropped flagships are $2000)?
Or perhaps the declining market forces them to move slow and steady?
02-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #165
mee
Pentaxian

If Pentax would rebadge too many Tamrons, their brand value would be diminished. "15%" more - the difference is much bigger in Europe - to get the same thing as the competition? And not much extra? It can't possibly work.

I want Pentax lenses, not Tamrons. I filled an extensive lens survey explaining what I'd want (as in: actually buy). If I wanted Tamrons I'd be using another brand by now...
Either way Fullframe K mount is lens starved for modern lenses in the retail setting. I don't personally care where the lenses come from.. Pentax.. Sigma.. Tamron.. so long as we see more quality FF lenses.

And Pentax seem to be dragging their heels with supporting their own product...