Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
On the whole frame. With the time duration of the readout of the whole sensor (around 1/13 sec.) the shift, hence the perspectives, will vary across the image.

Remember that SR moves the sensor by +/-1.5mm in all directions whilst a perspective control lens allows to shift by +/- 8 to 12mm: the impact of sensor shift on the rendering is not negligible, in particular when different parts of the image are shot with a different shift (sensor position).
That would mean that using IBIS at 1/13s with mechanical shutter is introducing significant blur with perspective deformation. I'll try with the widest lens I have and with vertical oscillation to maximize the effect but I still think it's not a real life issue.

02-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Is the 1/13sec accurate? (well, it's a rolling shutter, right?)
Perhaps the issue is to make SR work for 1/13 sec or whatever, for any focal length, with the required degree of precision?
02-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenses-lenses-lenses.

Do we have a chance to see Pentax (not re-branded third party) lenses for FF in the near future?
Updated FA and DA limited primes for FF? Any new star editions?
Teleconverter for FF?
02-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Can we get some more 645 full-frame lenses with all-weather sealing? Would love to see a fast portrait lens around the 120mm mark and f/2, a replacement wide prime for the 25/4 (the 28-45/4.5 is a bit too much sometimes), and a tilt/shift (or even just shift) wide for architecture.

Also, and someone has already mentioned this, colour options on the focus peaking blinkies in live view to make it easier to see them in high contrast/high-key scenarios.
+ 1 on all of the above

02-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Can we get some more 645 full-frame lenses with all-weather sealing? Would love to see a fast portrait lens around the 120mm mark and f/2, a replacement wide prime for the 25/4 (the 28-45/4.5 is a bit too much sometimes), and a tilt/shift (or even just shift) wide for architecture.

Also, and someone has already mentioned this, colour options on the focus peaking blinkies in live view to make it easier to see them in high contrast/high-key scenarios.
another +1 for what was mentioned above
02-21-2017, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You bring up something I hadn't considered in my shopping. If true, then that is NOT going to lull prospective buyers in the Pentax camp... who is going to buy into a system with only one FF body ever planned? That said, do you really think they'd offer new D-FAs if that was true? I think there is more to come..

Legacy glass stinks, Samyang stinks (no QA, no AF), and I'm sorry but these are pitiful work arounds. I don't want work arounds. I want retail solutions. Some of the legacy is decent, but who has time to trawl ebay in hopes a certain lens is offered and that copy is a good copy? What happens if it fails? Who repairs it? You're back on ebay hoping to find another good copy.. or a broken one to strip parts from to do the repair yourself... not exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.

There is more to it than that, but we've been around the horn on this matter at least a dozen times this year.

This is so frustrating, I might just say 'forget it' and not buy anything.
Holy cow, have you tried the Samyang 135/2?
02-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Yeah, their post really...struck a chord with me, too. I figured it wasn't worth fighting with mee over, though. I'll continue mixing my D-FA(*) and FA glass and no one I work with will care.

02-21-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You bring up something I hadn't considered in my shopping. If true, then that is NOT going to lull prospective buyers in the Pentax camp... who is going to buy into a system with only one FF body ever planned? That said, do you really think they'd offer new D-FAs if that was true? I think there is more to come..

Legacy glass stinks, Samyang stinks (no QA, no AF), and I'm sorry but these are pitiful work arounds. I don't want work arounds. I want retail solutions. Some of the legacy is decent, but who has time to trawl ebay in hopes a certain lens is offered and that copy is a good copy? What happens if it fails? Who repairs it? You're back on ebay hoping to find another good copy.. or a broken one to strip parts from to do the repair yourself... not exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.

There is more to it than that, but we've been around the horn on this matter at least a dozen times this year.

This is so frustrating, I might just say 'forget it' and not buy anything.
I honestly don't believe the K-1 was intended as a "conquest" camera, but the next FF will be. And when the new FF is released... that's when I think Pentax has to have a modern, fairly comprehensive lens lineup. But it won't be Canikon. If another brand has a better-for-you system, get it! I've been considering Nikon for a few months, for my wildlife shooting.

If your legacy glass fails, send it to Eric Henderson or dcshooter.

Not saying you should listen to me as I'm biased. I currently own no "modern" glass. I have 3 AF lenses, all from the '90's. I am totally reconciled to the fact that Pentax is a niche system. Even though I don't own any of the Princesses, I would actually be a bit sad if they were retired in favor of "perfect" replacements, character and gentle rendering replaced by surgical edge sharpness and über-corrected optics... sacrifices to the DXOMark god.

But all that aside, all the outdated romance of legacy glass aside, for Ricoh it's all about the Yenjamins. To quote another PF member, "Ricoh has a plan". If we, as Pentax users, want to have influence on Ricoh's plan, we need to be specific. We can't just chant "we want lenses!" because they know that. What lenses do we want most - what lenses will we buy upon release?
02-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #189
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Your opinions are your owns with regards to legacy, samyang and other glass. :/
As are yours. Neither of us stated otherwise.

---------- Post added 02-21-17 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Is it autofocus? If not, then nope.

We've all been around the horn on this multiple times... but my opinion is 100% valid here, just as yours is if you favor manual lenses. There is no one way. But I think, if Pentax wants to grow, that way needs to include much more AF lenses. Because more people favor them over manual-only choices. Just how it is.

---------- Post added 02-21-17 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I honestly don't believe the K-1 was intended as a "conquest" camera, but the next FF will be. And when the new FF is released... that's when I think Pentax has to have a modern, fairly comprehensive lens lineup. But it won't be Canikon. If another brand has a better-for-you system, get it! I've been considering Nikon for a few months, for my wildlife shooting.

If your legacy glass fails, send it to Eric Henderson or dcshooter.

Not saying you should listen to me as I'm biased. I currently own no "modern" glass. I have 3 AF lenses, all from the '90's. I am totally reconciled to the fact that Pentax is a niche system. Even though I don't own any of the Princesses, I would actually be a bit sad if they were retired in favor of "perfect" replacements, character and gentle rendering replaced by surgical edge sharpness and über-corrected optics... sacrifices to the DXOMark god.

But all that aside, all the outdated romance of legacy glass aside, for Ricoh it's all about the Yenjamins. To quote another PF member, "Ricoh has a plan". If we, as Pentax users, want to have influence on Ricoh's plan, we need to be specific. We can't just chant "we want lenses!" because they know that. What lenses do we want most - what lenses will we buy upon release?
Those are rinkydink solutions. Duct tape and rubberbands. I don't want to take the hobbyist approach/mentality even though I'm a hobbyist. No thanks.

Kodak has a plan too. Nikon thought they had a plan... I look forward to seeing what Ricoh bring in the next year or two. But just because they have a plan doesn't mean it is a good or realistic one. Or it will go according to their plans even if a good one..

That said, I bought a K-1 today so I'm in it for the long haul now...
02-21-2017, 04:37 PM - 2 Likes   #190
Veteran Member

If we resume PF questions

Will Ricoch / Pentax will make ?
-a new Q
-a Q with no color filter (monochrome)
-a GRIII APSC
-a GR III FF
-a GR III with 1 inch sensor
-a mirrorless K-02 with EVF
-a entry level FF K-1
-a K-1 in silver
-a FF Mirrorless
-a low low end APSC
-a pro level APSC with no video, GPS, WiFi, etc
-a pro level APSC (replacement for K-3 II)
-an APSC equivalent to D500
-a line of mirrorless APSC with new mount
-a replacement for MF645Z
-a FF MF645Z
-a mirrorless MF
Well I think many many peoples will be disapointed because we could expect 1 or 2 new models in the next 12 months.

It's time for reality check.
Oh, and I have not touch all the request for lenses, flash and accessories.

I think when PF got the answer, we will have tons of peoples complaining that Ricoch dont understand them and should have done differently.
02-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are rinkydink solutions. Duct tape and rubberbands. I don't want to take the hobbyist approach/mentality even though I'm a hobbyist. No thanks.

Kodak has a plan too. Nikon thought they had a plan... I look forward to seeing what Ricoh bring in the next year or two. But just because they have a plan doesn't mean it is a good or realistic one. Or it will go according to their plans even if a good one..

That said, I bought a K-1 today so I'm in it for the long haul now...
Hmm, "rinkydink solutions"... I don't think so!

Anyway, congrats on the K-1! And perhaps just in time for you: DFA*50 1.4 coming - PentaxForums.com
02-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #192
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hmm, "rinkydink solutions"... I don't think so!

Anyway, congrats on the K-1! And perhaps just in time for you: DFA*50 1.4 coming - PentaxForums.com
Thanks. Waiting for the wide prime(s).. Hopefully a 20mm that accepts 77mm or 82mm filters..

I don't think we see any new D-FA lenses until Summer at earliest... and that is a very optimistic view. It seems Ricoh has pretty much only decided they will make a fast 50. But at least they've announced it..
02-22-2017, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #193

What about new Ultra Wide Angle zoom for APS-C? It was announced log time ago.
02-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #194
Veteran Member

It seems Ricoh has pretty much only decided they will make a fast 50.
I am pretty sure they have already decided the specifications of all of the five roadmapped FF primes. Considering some of them will be coming in 2017, they'd be a bit behind schedule not even having decided which focal lengths to make, don't you think?
02-22-2017, 06:35 AM   #195
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I am pretty sure they have already decided the specifications of all of the five roadmapped FF primes. Considering some of them will be coming in 2017, they'd be a bit behind schedule not even having decided which focal lengths to make, don't you think?
That's not what I meant. They "fine print" says tentative for the naming. The naming provides the details of the lens (optical performance, sealing, coating, drive system). So it seems they don't have a full working lens just yet.. still in development. Don't expect it to be for sale next Tuesday.

I'm sure too they have an idea of what they want to build. But it seems to me they haven't built it yet.. and we've only seen one lens announced. This is a project not quite ready for launch... but I'm happy to know that the project is started.