Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Will Pentax Ricoh make all of its new DSLRs with 14 bit color? Is Pentax going to make mirrorless versions of their APS-C, Full Frame, and Medium Format, DSLRs? Will Pentax make all of its new lenses with one of their new lens motors and have the existing screw drive lenses ( DA and FA) continue as the "classic series" lenses?

02-19-2017, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Will they Fix the Video Firmware to function to the same standard as the Stills Firmware ??

1- Sensor Shift!
2- HDMI that we can record at 24, 25 and 30fps - same as the user selects to record internally.
3- Allow the users to select the Mjpeg CoDec for video.
4- And up date the h264 with an All-I-Frame option at 50mBits
5- Focus Peaking during recording.
6- Audio Metering during recording.
7- USB THREE, and Tethering.
8- Roadmap for 4K? (they'll need it soon)
9- Meta data (as per Beholder3's comments, but in the video files as well)

10- will there be a K-02 ? if so, it' needs Awesome video,... same same as a new Q.

11- And this is super important,.... Do they have job openings for Cinematographers who can go to Japan to help them sort out the video firmware?
I will get a passport for this,...

Follow Imp's suggestion from the video subsection posts.

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Video, add flat profile.
Use 'Muted' and turn down the Contrast & Sharpening one point each - it's pretty close to 'Cinestyle' on the Canons.

These would bring them up to the same standards as other manufacturers, and let us Pentax Cinematographers keep using the great range of lenses on Pentax cameras, instead of having to use them on everything else instead.

Finally, Noel: Only if you don't buy her one too.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 02-19-2017 at 08:36 AM.
02-19-2017, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would they release technical data explaining why the known hack for SDM doesn't work on the DA* 60-250? And maybe how to resolve this?

Would they entertain a More open source style firmware?

Are they willing to offer Direct options to disable SDM in firmware?

If not willing to open source then would they add Support for firmware overlays in the style of magic lantern for Canon?
02-19-2017, 08:50 AM - 4 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Will Pentax update the DA* 16-50 mm F2.8 and 50-135 mm F2.8 lenses' optical formulas and lens motors from SDM to DC ?

02-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Although it's been mentioned, I'd also like to know if there is an aps body positioned above the KP on the roadmap.

I understand that not a lot of information might be forthcoming, since, for example, if upgrades to a specific lens are surely going to be forthcoming, nobody will buy the existing model at anything other than fire sale prices. On the other hand, in the case of bodies, prospective purchasers may hesitate to invest in a system that's limited to consumer-grade bodies (in terms of rated cycle lifetime or single card slot, for example.)

A second question would be whether Pentax believes that the shrinking of the Pentax "ecosystem", notably in terms of 3rd party lens availability over the past decade, has been a benefit or detriment to Pentax.

Last edited by tibbitts; 02-19-2017 at 09:01 AM.
02-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please post your CP+ question suggestions in this thread. I'll do my best to get the top questions asked!
1. Lenses - Where do they see more opportunity? Limited style, traditional fast glass, or budget minded plastic fantastic?
2. AF improvements - what does the future look like? Facial recognition and tracking in the OVF?
3. Hybrid view finders - live histogram in an OVF? What EVF features can they implement in an OVF (eye-AF is big for portrait shooters)
4. Connectivity - Improved tethering and improved wireless.
5. Retro Styling - I know they won't say they are going after Fuji, but where do they see this going? How big is it?
6. JPEG/FILM - if they are going after Fuji then they also going to need to improve JPEG processing and add film simulation options. These are big for Fuji shooters.
7. Auto Lens Calibration - Seems like pretty important tech if you want to compete with mirrorless. It would improve the user experience significantly. New users coming from mirrorless struggle.

The KP seems to be going after Fuji who has attracted a lot of K-mount users with Fuji's retro looks, quality compact primes, better connectivity, & film simulation options. Sony's content aware image processing and sharpening is much improved over the last generation. Fuji users really like Fuji's JPEG engine. While Ricoh's JPEG engine is improved, it still struggles in comparison. I have not seen much of the KP so maybe they have addressed this. Connectivity has been big for a long time and Ricoh really needs to address this. Nikon seems to have the right idea, but their software is simply awful.
02-19-2017, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
  1. What, put simply, is the Pentax vision or mission statement?
  2. Regular firmware updates with new functionality are now offered as a feature by some brands. What are Ricoh's plans in this regard?
  3. In the past eighteen months Sony, Olympus and Fuji have all announced Pro support programmes whereas Pentax has discontinued its own support programme. Does this mean that Ricoh are no longer aiming to attract higher-end buyers? And if Ricoh are aiming to attract them, then why no premium support programme?
  4. Are there any plans to issue APS-C prime lenses with modern ring motors?
  5. Do you see larger format mirrorless ILCs as having a place in Ricoh's portfolio?
  6. Do you think EVFs are now good enough to replace the OVF in some kinds of camera?
  7. Why should someone buy a Pentax camera instead of the equivalent mirrorless camera from Sony, Fuji or Canon? What unique features make the Pentax camera stand out?
  8. Do Ricoh have any plans to create online tutorials and videos, workshops and the like partly to explain the functionality of their cameras, as many other brands now do?
  9. How many times at this show have you now said " We are studying the market", lol

Last edited by mecrox; 02-19-2017 at 10:29 AM.
02-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Will we ever see that APS-C UWA zoom that has been living on the roadmap for years?
+1

And if plans are scrapped, will the new weather sealed Tamron 10-24mm be released in a Pentax mount?
02-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the latest proposed timescale for further 645 lens updates/replacements. Specifically the 80-160 ish shown on the lens roadmap with WR DC and modern coatings. The Z did better than they anticipated, but so far no updated lenses beyond 90mm. Why is this?
02-19-2017, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please post your CP+ question suggestions in this thread. I'll do my best to get the top questions asked!
As fan of Q cameras I have four questions about this system:
1. Does the Q system will be developed in the future?
2. When (if any) will be next Q camera?
3. When (if any) will be available the promised macro lens from roadmap for Q system?
4. Is it planned to develop other lens for Q in the future? The good idea to increase the Q system popularity would be to develop the new standard zoom lens with higher zoom index than 02 lens. Maybe 6-24 mm lens adapted from MX-1 (cheaper proposal) or even "megazoom" (better but probably demanding more investment). Even if it overlaps the 06 lens range it did not would compete with 06 lens because of high brightness of the last one.

The great advantage of the Q system is portability. I can take for travel the complete system in one small bag: the camera, standard zoom, wide zoom, tele zoom, fisheye, small flash, and mega-telelens (with adapted K-lens). This is not possible with any other system. And I do not want to lose that if the Q system will be canceled.
02-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #56

* KAF4 support for K-30 and K-5*
* To add as last question, a free solution for k-30/k-50?/K? exposure problem.

Thank you
02-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens roadmap / product direction update? A 400mm lens?
02-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There was a major, deep survey of Pentax users' lens preference carried out by Pentax Europe last year. Did the responses change your thinking about and planning for lens release, and if so, how?

Ricoh Imaging seems to have correctly foreseen the global camera market dislocation, beginning in 2014. What is your observation of / business response to the continuing decline of camera unit sales globally, and related financial difficulties of your competitors - what is your view of the industry future?
good ones , i second those !
02-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #59
Veteran Member

1. What is Ricoh's assessment of--and vision for--their repair pipeline in the US?

2. Although we all appreciate the continued support for K mount, does Ricoh see any limitations in the mount, going forward toward mirrorless/video or other new technologies?
02-19-2017, 10:01 AM - 3 Likes   #60
Pentaxian

I wonder how many of those asking for utterly expensive lenses would actually pay for them?

This time again, I think Adam should not try to present a list of "Will you do X? yes/no" responses which would limit the answers dramatically (usually, to a polite "we are carefully studying the market" - it's our questions that's at fault). So, please, leave Ricoh the freedom of properly answering with whatever they can say.
Obviously the "will you make an X lens" questions are completely useless - they're either on a public roadmap/announced, or they won't say (except maybe that a 600mm f/4 would be utterly expensive).
Obviously the "questions" which are actually pointing fingers are completely useless and might be seen as rude.
Obviously there are also many good questions on this thread, I'm sure Adam can already make a nice list - and I'll try to add a few of mines. Sorry for the rant!

My own list of subjects I'd like to see discussed (not perfect, either...):
- some months ago there was an extensive lens survey; what were the conclusions? What kind of lenses should we expect for the K-mount? (personal note: I'm waiting for those D FA primes...)
- what's happening with the 645 line? Do you have the capacity to make more lenses? How do you feel about the new Fuji/Hasselblad mirrorless?
- Pentax DSLRs are surely excellent products, and the new K-1 and KP are mightily impressive. Image quality, ergonomics and the general feeling, build quality - those are Pentax' strong points; and the advances in autofocus is also notable. How do you plan to improve on the weaker points, like autofocus (it's never fast enough...) or video?
- Pentax is the brand associated with the first Japanese 35mm SLR (although it was Asahi Optical/Asahiflex at that time), and with many SLR advancements (like the quick-return mirror, or the TTL metering system). Will we see more advancements over the current DSLR concept, or it's bound to stay more or less the same? (note: they have interesting patents like the adjustable translucent mirror, a SR-like mechanism on the AF module, etc.; I'm talking about such innovations, and not about improving on the existing concept, which they're obviously doing).
- (related) what do you think will happen with the DSLRs, and with the Pentax K DSLRs in particular? (note: others asked about MILCs)
And a request:
- I was very happy to read the stories on the pentax.com's website, and to find out more about what's going on when making the products. I hope this effort would continue, and the communication with the non-Japanese Pentaxians would improve.
Special mention for mecrox' #7, with the increased complexity we need that, badly.