Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
Will the Pentax k3II substitute be manufactured? This year

02-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #62

I'm quite new to this forum, here are my questions..

1. Where is K-mount as a system headed ? Are we changing to all in-lens motor, and also in-lens aperture actuator ? Will it affect 'Limited' lenses design and size in the future, since it's the signature of Pentax.
2. Are we going to see more rebranded lenses ? If so, what is the uniqueness of using Pentax system ?
3. As EVFs today are getting better and better, what do you think is the next move on OVF technology ?
4.What's the response to the GFX from Fujifilm ?
02-19-2017, 10:30 AM - 3 Likes   #63

Photos: Gallery
why are sigma and tamron so reluctant to release their new lenses in the pentax mount? There are so many great new lenses (sigma art, tamron 70-200) but we just cant have them. Can't pentax buy the design and rebrand? please?
02-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. Is the price of the new KP an indication of a general price raise for Pentax DSLRs still to be released, perhaps related to the shrinking market?
2. Has the fault with the program mode magnets (K30's and K50's "dark pictures", also reported in some K-S1 and K-S2 if I'm not mistaken) been solved with the KP?

Although I'm expecting very diplomatic, Japanese-style answers...

02-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to know about the future of tethering software, especially to the Windows 10/Surface environment.
02-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #66

Why Pentax RAW files are so soft?
02-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please post your CP+ question suggestions in this thread. I'll do my best to get the top questions asked!
Probably asked already:

"Is the next APS-C follow up to the K3/K3II in the works" ?

02-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
How do you define "soft"?
02-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please post your CP+ question suggestions in this thread. I'll do my best to get the top questions asked!
1)Which lenses or lens categories are being prioritized right now?

2)When can we expect to see wide and fast full frame prime lenses?

3)Do you think Ricoh will carry on the tradition of FA Limited glass in terms of all metal construction (like the 3 amigos) or are they leaning more towards plastic body lenses?
02-19-2017, 12:17 PM - 4 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

Please push them on the video. We ask for this every year, but they get offtoo lightly.

Basically when Ricoh took over, they scrapped real sensor shift video (from theK-5/K-7 models) in favour of an extremely poor software attempt called 'MovieSR'. They have to get rid of this, or at least offer real mechanicalstabilisation again via a menu option, for those who want it.

EVERY camera since 2012 has the same poor quality video package, with low bitrates (still approx 18Mbps only), focus peaking that stops when you recordvideo, image cropped even with Movie SR turned off, and no sensor SR. That wasfive years ago and it's an embarrassment that it hasn't been touched since.

Fix those basics and I'd be happy, but it you want to take it further, providea clean configurable hdmi out, so users can at least attach their camera tosomething that can record properly.

Thanks
02-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
Because they are "soft"ware?
02-19-2017, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Because they are "soft"ware?
Hehe

They're soft because they haven't had any sharpening applied.

If you shoot raw, then you own the development process and can apply whatever level of sharpness you want.

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Will they Fix the Video Firmware to function to the same standard as the Stills Firmware ??

1- Sensor Shift!
2- HDMI that we can record at 24, 25 and 30fps - same as the user selects to record internally.
3- Allow the users to select the Mjpeg CoDec for video.
4- And up date the h264 with an All-I-Frame option at 50mBits
5- Focus Peaking during recording.
6- Audio Metering during recording.
7- USB THREE, and Tethering.
8- Roadmap for 4K? (they'll need it soon)
9- Meta data (as per Beholder3's comments, but in the video files as well)

10- will there be a K-02 ? if so, it' needs Awesome video,... same same as a new Q.

11- And this is super important,.... Do they have job openings for Cinematographers who can go to Japan to help them sort out the video firmware?
I will get a passport for this,...

All this, +1 from me.

Seriously, this is costing them sales.

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
VIDEO PLEASE! The low bitrate, poor dynamic range, no proper video sr. Of utmost importance is simply the quality of the video itself, the other bells-and-whistles can wait until that gets fixed!

Please skim this thread, where many people have raised their concerns and even offered suggestions:
A Young Pentaxian's concerns - PentaxForums.com

Ricoh: video is critical in this day and age, please do not ignore it. People of my generation expect it.

(Thanks Adam!)

All this +1 from me too.

The general consensus is to fix the basics, with most of the suggestions not actually being that wild and crazy.
Basically polish off the now 5 year old dated video package, to set solid foundations for future developments such as 4K.

Key point for them to take away is that 4K alone will not fix things like no mechanical stabilisation, focus peaking that stops during video capture, low bitrates and quality settings, no configurable clean hdmi out etc.

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 08:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Video, 4K.
Video, 100mbs bitrate?
Video, bring back sensor shift image stabilisation.
Video, add flat profile.

+1 from me.

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 08:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Could you facilitate in camera lens calibration (using CDAF).
When are you going to let us enable mechanical SR in Video as an option (we understand there are noise issues).

+1 from me.

Lens calibration, matching DSLR phase detect focus to Live View Contrast detect focus points would be much appreciated.
Likewise automation of the sensor composition adjustment process, to take 4x shots at each extreme of the sensor movement, top left, top right, lower right, lower left. Produced as individual RAWs plus an option to combine in camera.

And mechanical sensor stabilisation during video is a must. Pull a K-7/K-5 out of the cupboard and take a look at how they did it.
Or pull apart a Panasonic, Olympus or Sony camera, as they now do this better in video than Pentax, which is sad given how ahead of the game Pentax was in this area...
02-19-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Is it possible that in the near future to show a Pentax mirrorless with viewfinder, 1inch sensor, or MFT or APS-C but with a new mount for a thinner camera? What happens with Pentax Q is the end of line?
02-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Mani Quote
why are sigma and tamron so reluctant to release their new lenses in the pentax mount? There are so many great new lenses (sigma art, tamron 70-200) but we just cant have them. Can't pentax buy the design and rebrand? please?
I second this. It should probably be at the top of the list of questions.
02-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
I second this. It should probably be at the top of the list of questions.

Also worth pointing out that where other brands do offer Pentax mount options, they strip out the image stabilisation components.
This is sensible, given Pentax is known for handling stabilisation in camera via their sensor SR.

However, given Pentax have stopped using the sensor SR for stabilisation during video, (instead opting for the awful 'Movie SR' software attempt), there are close to no options for stabilisation during video now.