Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I would like to see the end of slow poor AF.
happened some time ago - now it's just not quite as good as the others

02-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I would like to see the end of slow poor AF. Why is this so difficult for Ricoh?
Do you have a camera newer than your K-5iis?
02-20-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #123
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Maybe he is waiting for something seriously better than what Pentax is currently offering.

I skipped the K-3 (and II) because the sensor performance stinks compared to the K-5/K-5II. And waited so long that now I'm just contemplating going FF... but the issue of lack of lenses makes me hesitate going with K mount. (Yes, I've done my extremely exhaustive research)

Anyways... Adam will filter what he feels are the more beneficial questions to ask... don't need anyone trying to do that work for him. Just let everyone ask what they want...
02-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #124

No I do not

02-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Maybe he is waiting for something seriously better than what Pentax is currently offering.

I skipped the K-3 (and II) because the sensor performance stinks compared to the K-5/K-5II. And waited so long that now I'm just contemplating going FF... but the issue of lack of lenses makes me hesitate going with K mount. (Yes, I've done my extremely exhaustive research)

Anyways... Adam will filter what he feels are the more beneficial questions to ask... don't need anyone trying to do that work for him. Just let everyone ask what they want...
Sure, but it seems silly to complain about AF performance, when recent cameras have improved that significantly.
02-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #126

Sure, but it seems silly to complain about AF performance, when recent cameras have improved that significantly.
Not to me, Canon, Nikon and Sony all have faster focus than any Pentax. You can't shoot fast moving events very well on a Pentax compared to the other companies. If you have a weakness you make it your strenght. I shoot non moving objects so it is fine (Real Estate). If I had to shoot fast moving objects then I would have to look past Pentax.
So like I first said, improved AF
02-20-2017, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A better attempt at real image identification and continuous tracking would be appreciated.
I hate watching the Sony A6000 videos, where it tracks objects coming towards the camera so easily, and at 10+fps also.
My K-30 can't handle a children's running race where they are coming towards you down the final stretched towards the finish line. Happens every year on athletics day.
I have no issues with Pentax focus speed or accuracy on static images, but it's tracking ability could really do with some attention.

In video too really, though I'd put that way down the wish list on that front.
Get Mechanical stabilisation and some focus peaking aids working first please.

02-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only have a K-5 and shoot cycle races and football quite often and I really don't know why all the comments about AF and shooting moving objects.
02-20-2017, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #129
mee
Veteran Member

We all don't need to understand, just accept that they are.. and move on..
02-20-2017, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #130
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Please, ask about co-operation with Sigma...

First pictures of the new Sigma 14mm f/1.8, 135mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 100-400mm f/5-6.3 lenses | Nikon Rumors

Sigma ART lenses have been consistently excellent and more is coming at steady rate. It is sad to see only CaNikon mount options lens after lens.
This is something that neither Pentax nor Sigma really want to talk about, but we'll try asking at least one of them again this year.

If you look at it from Pentax's perspective, they're probably happy that all lens sales will be going through them.

Sigma cites low sales as the reason for no new lenses, but they won't get any more sales unless they release the new stuff. So that's a catch 22 right there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #131
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is something that neither Pentax nor Sigma really want to talk about, but we'll try asking at least one of them again this year.

If you look at it from Pentax's perspective, they're probably happy that all lens sales will be going through them.

Sigma cites low sales as the reason for no new lenses, but they won't get any more sales unless they release the new stuff. So that's a catch 22 right there.
I've brought that up to them directly. But they seemed unphased.. they are still claiming they are watching the market and Pentax needs to drive more sales before they offer more to us.

I think the more squeaky we become, perhaps the more they'll listen... esp with the souring of the market, it seems they'll want to reach further out to as many mounts as possible to find sales... even if in smaller batches.

If you speak with Sigma representatives, maybe float the idea that they offer some of their more common FF Global Vision lenses through the mount exchange program for a higher fee for K mount. So they wouldn't have to produce a ton of K mount lenses that may not sell, but every K mount lens they offer (as a result of converting from Sigma F or EF) WOULD sell (since it would be a mount swap and not a product on a shelf to collect dust).

Plus the rear bezel itself will potentially need to be swapped anyway to make it work better with the K-1 (scratch issue)... so they would have the lens anyways (maybe).
02-20-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I only have a K-5 and shoot cycle races and football quite often and I really don't know why all the comments about AF and shooting moving objects.
Most of us ( + the ones demanding more AF perf. ) don't even use 80% of what they already have. Was I in Venice (carnival season) with K1 grip + DFA*70-200.
There was this guy with a Canon DSLR and a Canon 50 f1.4 who was trying to explain the model that he had very good gear so she should take his photos, bad luck , she preferred the photos from the K1. The guy looked twice at the K1, his face was like "heuu, Pentax?, what?". Man, the K1 and DFA*70-200 together is a killer combo. The only problem is the tiny mini commercial efforts of Ricoh isn't going to sell this.

---------- Post added 21-02-17 at 00:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I hate watching the Sony A6000 videos, where it tracks objects coming towards the camera so easily, and at 10+fps also.
Yep, those are promotional videos. Ricoh has done the same for the K3. You watch the marketing video, and when you got the camera it's not quite the same as in the marketing video for the K3 :-) , but for the A6000 as well.
02-20-2017, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #133
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've brought that up to them directly. But they seemed unphased.. they are still claiming they are watching the market and Pentax needs to drive more sales before they offer more to us.

I think the more squeaky we become, perhaps the more they'll listen... esp with the souring of the market, it seems they'll want to reach further out to as many mounts as possible to find sales... even if in smaller batches.

If you speak with Sigma representatives, maybe float the idea that they offer some of their more common FF Global Vision lenses through the mount exchange program for a higher fee for K mount. So they wouldn't have to produce a ton of K mount lenses that may not sell, but every K mount lens they offer (as a result of converting from Sigma F or EF) WOULD sell (since it would be a mount swap and not a product on a shelf to collect dust).

Plus the rear bezel itself will potentially need to be swapped anyway to make it work better with the K-1 (scratch issue)... so they would have the lens anyways (maybe).
Better yet, Pentax lens kits could just contain the parts and tools needed to carry out the swap. It's no more than unscrewing some screws, I'm guessing?

Or they could do it for you at the time the lens is ordered.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #134
mee
Veteran Member

Better yet, Pentax lens kits could just contain the parts and tools needed to carry out the swap. It's no more than unscrewing some screws, I'm guessing?

Or they could do it for you at the time the lens is ordered.
I'm guessing there might be firmware differences between mount types? If not then it makes it even more simplistic to change mounts..

That is the other option though -- good call. Just offer K mount direct from Sigma factory. Only make it when its ordered. That way there is NO product on a shelf for K mount. But we still can buy Sigma lenses. They could do that or just do the exchange at the factory..

Plus that will show them what lenses are really selling for K... and then they can offer those on shelves.
02-20-2017, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

I wouldn't bother to ask Pentax (Ricoh Imaging), we know the answer - they don't control 3rd-party manufacturers, and won't pay Sigma just to help a competitor at their own expense. With Tamron, both parties had something to gain.

If you talk with Sigma, though, about that catch 22 issue...