Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yep, those are promotional videos. Ricoh has done the same for the K3. You watch the marketing video, and when you got the camera it's not quite the same as in the marketing video for the K3 :-) , but for the A6000 as well.

Not sure if this will count, but I do think it's pretty good in the real world as well.

Not sure if things have changed on the K-3 ii etc
Eye AF would be freaking awesome for portrait work.

02-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Eye AF is a liveview / evf only option. Useless in a Pentax right now. Asking for precise AF point is more useful.
02-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #138
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wouldn't bother to ask Pentax (Ricoh Imaging), we know the answer - they don't control 3rd-party manufacturers, and won't pay Sigma just to help a competitor at their own expense. With Tamron, both parties had something to gain.

If you talk with Sigma, though, about that catch 22 issue...
Then the question is thrown to Tamron reps... why aren't we seeing more K mount lenses from you? If the agreement is their designs are only Pentax branded for K mount (Tamron licensed). Then the question jumps to Ricoh in why aren't you licensing more designs from Tamron?

For instance the SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD -- WHY isn't that in K mount? If K mount is the budget concious 'bang for the buck' brand, then that should have been offered in K mount 7 years ago.. when it was launched for F and EF. If the answer is 'because you didn't have a FF DSLR' well we do now.. launch that puppy. Not to mention all the modern primes they now offer... let's go go go.

If those take less time.. then why not offer those all together for K? Even if they're Pentax branded.. and they charge 15% more than regular Tamron branded lenses. Pentax doesn't have to do much R&D since the formula is offered to them on a platter.

There is a such thing as being too cautious/conservative... despite the notion that 'People are paid big bucks to know the market much better than you in your armchair', Let me remind everyone those same people occasionally tank companies (See Kodak.. and maybe even Nikon's list of woes).

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 06:55 PM ----------

Oh and maybe can we get a 1.2x crop mode on K-1 please? That should work better for many DA lenses which are just out of the FF CoC.
02-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Oh and maybe can we get a 1.2x crop mode on K-1 please? That should work better for many DA lenses which are just out of the FF CoC.
Is that just for convenience? Syncing a crop across a bunch of images is super easy in post, and it wouldn't offer the buffer benefits of APS-C mode.

02-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #140
Banned

Another question re premium lenses in DA range:

Ricoh had renewed DA Limited line with rounded blades and HD coating, and the image quality is improved indeed!

Will they do the same to improve premium DA zooms and primes? DA*55, DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA*200, DA*60-250 and DA*300 — all of them have old coatings. Will they go HD / rounded blades to improve on image quality?
02-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #141
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is that just for convenience? Syncing a crop across a bunch of images is super easy in post, and it wouldn't offer the buffer benefits of APS-C mode.
Nope.
02-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Eye AF is a liveview / evf only option. Useless in a Pentax right now.

Newsflash, Pentax has a liveview mode

They've been able to identify faces in live view mode for a long time now. It was in the K-5 and K-7 (as was Mechanical SR during video... ) and K-x from that 2009 era so it's nothing new.
Eye AF is an extension of that technology.
The K-70 has on sensor phase detect AF points, so the basis for a mirrorless equivalent are actually there now.

Eye AF is a feature I personally would love to see, having found doing this manually through the optical viewfinder rather hit and miss with a narrow depth of field aperture setting. Often my camera has focussed on the eyebrow or forehead, leaving the eyes blurring out of focus.

02-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A limited edition KP with the CFA removed might be pretty awesome, Ricoh.
02-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #144
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A limited edition KP with the CFA removed might be pretty awesome, Ricoh.
CFA — you mean, colour filter array? Why would they do that?! There is enough of software out there that perform impeccable B&W conversions.
02-20-2017, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Eye AF is a liveview / evf only option. Useless in a Pentax right now. Asking for precise AF point is more useful.
Not necessarily. The current 86K RGB meter/sensor has enough resolution for basic face detection. A 2MP sensor with PDAF built into the sensor should have enough resolution to lock AF onto the eyes. Basically, you replace the current PDAF sensor and color meter with a 2MP sensor with built in PDAF.
02-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #146
Pentaxian

1) What does the future hold for the Q series?
2) Are there plans for a lower-end full-frame camera?
3) Are there plans to introduce color options for focus peaking?
4) For the K-1 at least, are they able to include a Live View AF point size selection in a firmware update?
5) Are they planning to ever offer APS-C or full-frame cameras in multiple color options like the K-50? =)

Last edited by mamba909; 02-20-2017 at 07:53 PM.
02-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
CFA — you mean, colour filter array? Why would they do that?! There is enough of software out there that perform impeccable B&W conversions.
Yes, but the level of detail a CFA-less sensor would provide would surpass a software B&W conversion.
02-20-2017, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #148
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yes, but the level of detail a CFA-less sensor would provide would surpass a software B&W conversion.
For now I would appreciate update of lenses, which would allow better details captured regardless of colour array or B&W; Say that suggestion of mine above, that all DA* lenses are updated with new blades and new coatings Pentax is using for quite a while now....

My question is simple: if a consumer zoom may have HD, why not DA*?!
02-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #149
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Not sure if this will count, but I do think it's pretty good in the real world as well.
[
Not sure if things have changed on the K-3 ii etc
Eye AF would be freaking awesome for portrait work.
Are there something like this in K-3 or K-1?

Last edited by ogl; 02-20-2017 at 11:12 PM.
02-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Ah yeah, but do you know the image results?