Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Sigma question is hot as the ART-line is full of gems at attractive price point. Tamron, well...so far bricky zooms with moderate to high IQ and few primes. Modern lens line for K-1 has not advanced since the release of K-1 a year ago (Ricoh offerings). Only Samyang offers alternative modern design (wide angle) primes for K-mount for example. And now, there is IRIX-Yang with 15mm option.

Zeiss lens options are present in form of Leitax, but their usage on K-1 is crippled thanks to horrible live view and light metering experience.

02-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #167
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I think the lack of third party support is good for Ricoh/Pentax, they are in monopol position at their lens market. Every sold third party lens decreases the profit of Ricoh. They wont rush to get third party support.
Good for Ricoh, short term yes definitely. But long term? Maybe not so much.

How long are owners going to wait for Ricoh to get their act in gear (with their gear -- I made a funny )? On the other side, how many were interested in the K-1 at launch (non-Pentax users) that shied away from buying one after looking at the state of the retail offered lenses here? I don't have an answer, but it is a question that makes me wonder.

Right now, I'm in the same situation. Looking to buy into a FF system, but hesitant on K-1 due to the lens lineup. I'm sorry but fact is fact. And the fact I see is it is currently outdated and thin. I look over at Canikony and I see a wealth of newer lenses and support and wonder why K mount isn't even half of that.

Last night, I rewatched the 2016 CP+ interview with Ricoh. The rep was very frank (to my amazement and pleasure) with his answers. He admitted that Pentax has tight resources. My guess is Ricoh gives the Imaging side a very tight budget from which to work, expecting miraculous results from their resulting products. Extremely conservative... in a sour market maybe a smart idea. But also maybe not..

Either way, it seems Pentax is the only thing holding Pentax back right now.
02-21-2017, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
(...)I look over at Canikony and I see a wealth of newer lenses and support and wonder why K mount isn't even half of that.

Last night, I rewatched the 2016 CP+ interview with Ricoh. The rep was very frank (to my amazement and pleasure) with his answers. He admitted that Pentax has tight resources. My guess is Ricoh gives the Imaging side a very tight budget from which to work, expecting miraculous results from their resulting products. Extremely conservative... in a sour market maybe a smart idea. But also maybe not..

(...)
Ricoh Imaging must do with what they have, i.e. their own free cash flows with no cash injection from their parent company.

Remember that Ricoh Imaging sales are roughly half those of Leica Camera with a much lower profitability.
02-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Either way, it seems Pentax is the only thing holding Pentax back right now.
Well, for myself I would like to see something being teased out, and that's whether Pentax is being held on very tight resources period or Pentax is being held on very tight resources because Ricoh think that growth in their imaging division will come from elsewhere (i.e. products not branded Pentax) and so that is where any money is going. Every time another Theta is announced a little Pentax kitlens dies, etc.

02-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Either way Fullframe K mount is lens starved for modern lenses in the retail setting. I don't personally care where the lenses come from.. Pentax.. Sigma.. Tamron.. so long as we see more quality FF lenses.

And Pentax seem to be dragging their heels with supporting their own product...
I 100% agree with your position. I do wish that Pentax had developed/ DFA* for 15-30 and 24-70, still need 300 F2.8 and 600 F4 for wildlife (and a FF compatible TC SET). Else APSc still out reaches/resolves better (at 24mp vs. 16mp in K-1 Crop).

That said, the PTX 24-70 and PTX15-30 in side by sides w/Tamron at the dealer, of course have similar exteriors, but they sure feel differently when placed on a camera (zoom/ focus rings). Coatings seem only a bit different (color). For some reason the Pentaxes seem lighter, may be the lack of IS goodies. As long as they hold up, I'll settle
02-21-2017, 08:01 AM - 4 Likes   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I said last year, I believe the K-1 was something of a "thank you" to the long time Pentax faithful, not some FF Blitz.

If you disdain the rebadged Tammies, you still have the 3 Princesses. And the 28-105, 70-200, and 150-450, all of which seem to be top-shelf lenses in their respective classes. Some of the perceived holes in the lens lineup can be filled for now with legacy glass, Samyang, etc.

It's kind of a shame that Ricoh does something "nice", and so many whine about the unCanon level of modern glass. People should just move on to Canon (or whatever) because the Nuclear Winter will be upon us before Ricoh achieves a Canonesque lens lineup.
02-21-2017, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #172
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
As I said last year, I believe the K-1 was something of a "thank you" to the long time Pentax faithful, not some FF Blitz.

If you disdain the rebadged Tammies, you still have the 3 Princesses. And the 28-105, 70-200, and 150-450, all of which seem to be top-shelf lenses in their respective classes. Some of the perceived holes in the lens lineup can be filled for now with legacy glass, Samyang, etc.

It's kind of a shame that Ricoh does something "nice", and so many whine about the unCanon level of modern glass. People should just move on to Canon (or whatever) because the Nuclear Winter will be upon us before Ricoh achieves a Canonesque lens lineup.
You bring up something I hadn't considered in my shopping. If true, then that is NOT going to lull prospective buyers in the Pentax camp... who is going to buy into a system with only one FF body ever planned? That said, do you really think they'd offer new D-FAs if that was true? I think there is more to come..

Legacy glass stinks, Samyang stinks (no QA, no AF), and I'm sorry but these are pitiful work arounds. I don't want work arounds. I want retail solutions. Some of the legacy is decent, but who has time to trawl ebay in hopes a certain lens is offered and that copy is a good copy? What happens if it fails? Who repairs it? You're back on ebay hoping to find another good copy.. or a broken one to strip parts from to do the repair yourself... not exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.

There is more to it than that, but we've been around the horn on this matter at least a dozen times this year.

This is so frustrating, I might just say 'forget it' and not buy anything.

02-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Why is electronic shutter incompatible with SR ?
Because it (electronic shutter) will introduce artéfacts with fast moving objets. If you move the sensor at the same time, it will produce even bigger artefacts. Probably even introduce artefacts with non moving objects.
02-21-2017, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You bring up something I hadn't considered in my shopping. If true, then that is NOT going to lull prospective buyers in the Pentax camp... who is going to buy into a system with only one FF body ever planned? That said, do you really think they'd offer new D-FAs if that was true? I think there is more to come..

Legacy glass stinks, Samyang stinks (no QA, no AF), and I'm sorry but these are pitiful work arounds. I don't want work arounds. I want retail solutions. Some of the legacy is decent, but who has time to trawl ebay in hopes a certain lens is offered and that copy is a good copy? What happens if it fails? Who repairs it? You're back on ebay hoping to find another good copy.. or a broken one to strip parts from to do the repair yourself... not exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.

There is more to it than that, but we've been around the horn on this matter at least a dozen times this year.

This is so frustrating, I might just say 'forget it' and not buy anything.
Your opinions are your owns with regards to legacy, samyang and other glass. :/
02-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because it (electronic shutter) will introduce artéfacts with fast moving objets. If you move the sensor at the same time, it will produce even bigger artefacts. Probably even introduce artefacts with non moving objects.
SR is all about NOT moving the sensor in the picture ref. Why would moving the sensor in the camera ref introduce artefacts? I see no reason for that.
02-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #176
Pentaxian

SR is all about NOT moving the sensor in the picture ref. Why would moving the sensor in the camera ref introduce artefacts? I see no reason for that.
By moving the sensor without moving the lens, you are shifting the lens in the sensor's referential.
02-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #177
Veteran Member

That would be enough to get artefacts due to readout on the border of the frame ? Are Olympus/Sony IBIS off with Es too ?
02-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #178
Pentaxian

That would be enough to get artefacts due to readout on the border of the frame ? Are Olympus/Sony IBIS off with Es too ?
On the whole frame. With the time duration of the readout of the whole sensor (around 1/13 sec.) the shift, hence the perspectives, will vary across the image.

Remember that SR moves the sensor by +/-1.5mm in all directions whilst a perspective control lens allows to shift by +/- 8 to 12mm: the impact of sensor shift on the rendering is not negligible, in particular when different parts of the image are shot with a different shift (sensor position).
02-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Is it possible to make the K-1 min ISO 50 and increase the max sync speed to 1/250 via firmware?
I think every model in the range could use those upgrades.
02-21-2017, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #180

Can we get some more 645 full-frame lenses with all-weather sealing? Would love to see a fast portrait lens around the 120mm mark and f/2, a replacement wide prime for the 25/4 (the 28-45/4.5 is a bit too much sometimes), and a tilt/shift (or even just shift) wide for architecture.

Also, and someone has already mentioned this, colour options on the focus peaking blinkies in live view to make it easier to see them in high contrast/high-key scenarios.