Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 10:32 PM - 3 Likes   #1621
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
If only to put this thread out of its misery...
LoL, when the lens is released, only a few of the talkers will buy it, and the rest of the (small) crowd will move to next product release per-announcement agony, there is no end to it.
Actually, one can already spend $40K+ on Pentax product portfolio, but heck NO! never do that, make sure that the most wanted is what's not available. Wanting non existing product saves a lot of money, while if people want a product that's for sale they have to open the credit card, the queuing is much shorter then.

08-24-2017, 10:41 PM - 3 Likes   #1622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Actually, one can already spend $40K+ on Pentax product portfolio, but heck NO! never do that, make sure that the most wanted is what's not available. Wanting non existing product saves a lot of money, while if people want a product that's for sale they have to open the credit card, that's another story.
point taken, but not entirely fair - I, and I assume a lot of others, want to see Pentax re-established as a brand that's taken seriously outside of Pentaxland, and while I'll probably never buy this lens (for financial reasons), if Ricoh get it right, then it will be a good stride down that path
08-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #1623
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
If only to put this thread out of its misery...
What fun would that be?
08-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #1624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
point taken, but not entirely fair - I, and I assume a lot of others, want to see Pentax re-established as a brand that's taken seriously outside of Pentaxland, and while I'll probably never buy this lens (for financial reasons), if Ricoh get it right, then it will be a good stride down that path
Riiiight. If they sabotage Pentax hard enough, that surely would improve the brand 's position.
Do you think the full-time complainers are' fair'?

08-25-2017, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #1625
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What are we talking about?

There is a DFA *50 coming. It will be a really nice, really expensive lens. It will come out later than the folks who really want it expected it would. People will complain about the price and the size and the fact that it wasn't here last week. And maybe the fact that it doesn't have Sony written on the side.

And all this will go out the window when someone buys it and captures an amazing sunset with it at f11 and we just fall in love in love with its flare resistance and the way it renders the soft greens of the image.

Is there anything else?
Other than the K1 has been on the market for over a year and there still isn't a standard lens available for it, no. This is a lens that should have been available at roll out of the K1.
08-25-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #1626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Other than the K1 has been on the market for over a year and there still isn't a standard lens available for it, no. This is a lens that should have been available at roll out of the K1.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a standard lens. Pentax has had the FA 43, FA 50, DA 50 and DA *55 in their line up since the release of the K-1. True, this will be better than those (hopefully), but it is going to be a premium lens and probably most folks will look at it and its price tag and opt for something cheaper.

If there are lenses that are missing, they are the wide angle prime and to a lesser extent the portrait (DFA * 85mm f1.4) prime.
08-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #1627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do you think the full-time complainers are' fair'?
Doesn't mean I shouldn't be - I was really addressing the point of people with a lot to say about Pentax who don't actually buy the products - in this instance I'll probably be one of them, and I want to be fair on me

08-25-2017, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #1628
Veteran Member

6 months and 100+ pages later..... Do we have any idea when the lens will be released and how much it will cost?
08-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #1629
mee
Veteran Member

Doesn't mean I shouldn't be - I was really addressing the point of people with a lot to say about Pentax who don't actually buy the products - in this instance I'll probably be one of them, and I want to be fair on me

Yes beside anyone who thinks any member of the forums is on a mission to somehow sabotage the brand thinks pretty highly of their influence. I don't think anyone here has that measure of influence haha.
08-25-2017, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #1630
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
6 months and 100+ pages later.....

This half of your sentence...

Do we have any idea when the lens will be released and how much it will cost?

...answers this half.
08-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #1631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someday we'll all look back on this thread and shrug...

... and then continue shooting with our Sony's.

08-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #1632
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Sadly there is a lot of truth to that. The Sony/Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is just about the perfect blend of size, image quality, & sharpness.
08-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #1633
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

hahaha this really made me laugh.. but say it isn't so!!
08-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #1634
Pentaxian

What's the point of complaining ans asking for things, if you have no intention of buying their products?

---------- Post added 25-08-17 at 08:34 PM ----------

Sadly there is a lot of truth to that. The Sony/Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is just about the perfect blend of size, image quality, & sharpness.
And what makes it perfect is the brand
08-25-2017, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1635
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess it depends on what you mean by a standard lens. Pentax has had the FA 43, FA 50, DA 50 and DA *55 in their line up since the release of the K-1. True, this will be better than those (hopefully), but it is going to be a premium lens and probably most folks will look at it and its price tag and opt for something cheaper.

If there are lenses that are missing, they are the wide angle prime and to a lesser extent the portrait (DFA * 85mm f1.4) prime.
I'll take the dictionary definition for $1000.00 Alex. You have two legacy designed for film lenses and two APS-C lenses listed. I have both the FA 43 and the FA 50. Neither one is stellar on the K1, they are good but not great.
I agree that there are lenses missing in the wide and short tele category as well, whether or not they are more important than a good standard lens is an opinion. My opinion is the fast standard is more important. At the risk of coming across as a bit of a troll, Ricoh really needs to get their act together and put a few lenses out in a hurry. They need an ultra wide (~15mm), and some wides (20mm, 24, 28mm and 35mm), as well as a 50mm f/1.4, an 85/1.4 and a 135/2 or 2.8. These are basic system lenses that need to be available.
Closed Thread