Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #1891
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If this were a completely new mount then could see that argument, but its not and these are not lenses that have not existed before for the K-mount. The 31mm, 43mm, & 77mm are all full frame lenses that have continued to sell well for APS-C bodies. Ricoh could have launched the K-1 with new versions of those lenses and that would have excited both ASP-C and FF users. The next issues is that the K-1 needs more glass if it is going to sell better. Not have a D-FA* 24mm on a camera that is arguably the best landscape FF camera on the market is pretty big mistake. A D-FA* 24mm would have also been a great lens for APS-C users.
It's precisely because this isn't a completely new mount that Pentax/Ricoh could only launch the few essential zooms in the beginning.

No offense, but strategies formulated on Internet forums seems rather nitpicking, than obtaining a better solution than the professionals'. They're often about "I want that instead of that", and they ignore real world constraints.
Making new 31mm, 43mm, 77mm (probably very different lenses than the FA Limiteds, otherwise what's the point?) cannot be considered a higher priority than filling essential gaps.
And a 24mm prime, yes, it's a good idea but still not a priority over the zooms IMO. That area is covered by 2 of them, by the way.

I say, waiting after they'd have those new lenses - in addition to the zooms - would've been a very, very bad idea.

10-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #1892
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's precisely because this isn't a completely new mount that Pentax/Ricoh could only launch the few essential zooms in the beginning.
Almost every major review of the new K-1 points to the lack of modern lenses and a negative. You might not thank that is they case, and Ricoh might not think that is the case, but a large number of people disagree with you.

No offense, but strategies formulated on Internet forums seems rather nitpicking, than obtaining a better solution than the professionals'. They're often about "I want that instead of that", and they ignore real world constraints.
Making new 31mm, 43mm, 77mm (probably very different lenses than the FA Limiteds, otherwise what's the point?) cannot be considered a higher priority than filling essential gaps.

I never said it was the best strategy. You are completely misrepresenting my point.
10-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #1893
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
People intent on challenging Pentax's release strategy say these lenses don't count because they aren't modern. They aren't modern but they are fully functional and relatively inexpensive.
People have feelings too, the claim (not yours) and the choice is not necessarily very rational. For me, what's really amazing is, for example FA35 f2! or FA 70-210, you can put those lenses in a vest pocket, there is not way it can be done with newer lenses. I don't like the look of the FA lenses but that's all, I'd eventually get a FA35 f2 because it makes a small full frame system for traveling but the style looks old fashion.
10-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #1894
Pentaxian

We have all seen the speed of Pentax filling essential gaps. It is slow to say the least. Now we should wait and see what the sepcs of the D-FA 50 will be like.
Afterwards, everyone here can make a simple calculation about size, price, performance, time frame... and future availability of the next lenses.
Currently it appears that new full frame primes will be big, and f/1.4. If you want a travel combo go FA ltd or stick to APS-C.

I am waiting for a sign of the D-FA 85.

In general, I do not consider the D-FA 50 talk to be a proper announcement. We had a plastic block for the first announcement and no specs for the second announcement.
I will refrain from buying any FA glass - most of it was designed 15+ years ago. I will not put FA ltd infront of K1 - had two of them on K5. Before I move on to third party lenses on Pentax cameras, I will move on.

10-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #1895
Pentaxian

Almost every major review of the new K-1 points to the lack of modern lenses and a negative. You might not thank that is they case, and Ricoh might not think that is the case, but a large number of people disagree with you.
The alternative to that is no FF on the market. No camera maker is able to launch a full line from the beginning; you'd start with something that makes sense and build up on that.

Since I'm insisting on the necessity of modern lenses, and since Ricoh Imaging has a roadmap addressing this I wonder who's misrepresenting whose point
10-29-2017, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #1896
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
We have all seen the speed of Pentax filling essential gap
Except that there are no essential gaps. 15-450 is covered. People invent gaps. That doesn't make them real. We all have our reasons for not using what Pentax offers, but that's different from saying there are gaps. I don't own a DFA 15-30 but I met a guy who does and he just loved it. Yet I hear there's gap at 24, well that's a gap in someone's mind, not a lens lineup gap.

I will not put FA ltd infront of K1
Because you're such a good photographer you need better?

It must be tough having such high standards. Tough for you, no sweat off anyone else's back.

Also a large number of people agree with me. So what? Do you run your life by reading what everyone else thinks, deciding what the consensus is and doing what you think they think? That's a recipe for being a very unhappy person. The kind of person who would come to a website that supports a specific camera and tell everyone their choice is inadequate. Happy people don't do stuff like that.

Last edited by normhead; 10-29-2017 at 01:35 PM.
10-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #1897
Pentaxian

15-450 is covered
Those slow old things!...ha ha

there are no essential gaps
Well,some would like an AW 1.4x TC,maybe something you would consider?(even though you have enough fairweather TCs)

the speed of Pentax filling essential gaps. It is slow
Like the K-1,so its no surprise!

10-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #1898
Veteran Member

I'm so tempted by the new lens it literally calls me in my sleep. But, I'm also now considering the 15-30 which would be the perfect lens for my style of photography :/ Choices choices.. At least we have em now Although again, I'd be all over a slower UWA zoom if it was similar quality to the DFA 28-105, f4 or even slower is perfectly fine.
10-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #1899
Pentaxian

Almost every major review of the new K-1 points to the lack of modern lenses and a negative
Yes, but those reviews are only reviews done by reviewers....K-1 was essentially created by demand from the Pentax user base.The reviewers generally take a point of view from a new buyers(non Pentaxian) perspective only.I read many reviews and looked at plenty of videos but the overwhelmingly main reason to buy was the images that appeared on this forum.Images by people fairly familiar with Pentax cameras and lenses.

---------- Post added 10-30-17 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd be all over a slower UWA zoom if it was similar quality to the DFA 28-105, f4 or even slower is perfectly fine.
Dfa 16-45mm f4?....its not happening.
10-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #1900
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,some would like an AW 1.4x TC,maybe something you would consider?(even though you have enough fairweather TCs)
There's a difference between you'd like something more and there is nothing you can use.

The HD DA 1.4 TC is WR and works great with both my DA*200 2.8 and Tamron 300 2,8 on my K-3, which is the better camera for telephoto work, and also works with the DFA 100 macro on both the K-3 and K-1.

There's those who whine about what there isn't, and there's those who just go out and make what they have work for them. I just find out what works, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the things that don't or what there isn't. Although right now I'm not looking for lenses. Things are a lot more tense when you have an idea what you want and it isn't there. I have no idea why Pentax went with the 28-105 instead of a 24-90. I'm happy with the 28-105 and I do have the FAJ 18-35, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

But, I'm also now considering the 15-30 which would be the perfect lens for my style of photography :/ Choices choices
If you now have or ever will have an FF you want the 15-30.
I started considering whether or not lenses were FF at least two years before the K-1 was even announced. All my most recent purchases like with the DA*200 were FF compatible, and I bought them before the FF was announced. Good planning saves waste.
10-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #1901
Veteran Member

If you now have or ever will have an FF you want the 15-30.
I started considering whether or not lenses were FF at least two years before the K-1 was even announced. All my most recent purchases like with the DA*200 were FF compatible, and I bought them before the FF was announced. Good planning saves waste.
I bought into the system with K-1 release, so I had no time for planning. All my lenses are ff, and rokinon 14 2.8 works fine, but I do want the zoom for convenience. I'd much prefer a slower zoom though, but I guess it's at least few years away if it's coming at all...

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, but those reviews are only reviews done by reviewers....K-1 was essentially created by demand from the Pentax user base.The reviewers generally take a point of view from a new buyers(non Pentaxian) perspective only.I read many reviews and looked at plenty of videos but the overwhelmingly main reason to buy was the images that appeared on this forum.Images by people fairly familiar with Pentax cameras and lenses.

---------- Post added 10-30-17 at 10:07 AM ----------

Dfa 16-45mm f4?....its not happening.
Doesn't it make sense they'll finish up the slower zoom trio as well? They have the 2.8 ones, and I think 70-300 is on the roadmap? Why wouldn't slower 15-30 show up at some point[COLOR="Silver"]
10-29-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #1902
Pentaxian

They still don't make a lens that makes the k1 fly so i am switching brands to dji. Except dji doesn't make a 55" tv screen so i will switch to Samsung.
10-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #1903
Pentaxian

I think 70-300 is on the roadmap? Why wouldn't slower 15-30 show up at some point[COLOR="Silver"]
Its not happening RIGHT now, but it may happen....one products success paves the wave for the development of the next(generally).So it could happen in a couple of years when the K-1 is superceded and gets sold as a kit.K-1 + dfa 20-90 f3.5-4.5 + 70-300 f4-5.6.That would be a nice starter kit.Wide enough,long enough and by 2019(late) a few fast primes for specific uses.
10-30-2017, 01:43 AM - 4 Likes   #1904
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
my K-3, which is the better camera for telephoto
K-1 + 150-450 is a great combo for telephoto. The only advantage of the K3 is the faster burst, but the K-1's burst is enough most of the time. Even for some action:

Or small birds:

Last edited by timautin; 10-30-2017 at 01:52 AM.
10-30-2017, 03:54 AM   #1905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
The only advantage of the K3 is the faster burs
plus longer reach or higher pixel density (for finer detail) at the same magnification - though I admit some of that is offset by the smoother tonal gradation of the K-1

nice shots, btw
Closed Thread