Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm OK now.
Great news!

---------- Post added 01-18-18 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
a few bloated zoom lenses.
My 2 cover 28-200mm...im LOVING that BLOAT!

01-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #2612

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Somebody needs to sensibly price a good copy of the FA*24 into my hands then. ebay prices I'm seeing on that lens are crazy of late.
Yes, WA primes (even old M versions) are at crazy prices. Thats why I welcome new DFA primes even though I have no intentions of getting one, hopefully it'll make older lenses more affordable. Thats my theory anyway, hehe.
01-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #2613
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You just contradicted yourself, Wheatfield.

They're happy, and yet you're sad.

Just jump brand, champ, like Mee, Jogiba, Osv, et al ... it's your money.

People who've switched to Pentax like Gyroscope are fresh air. A joy to read their posts.
For the record, I didn't really brand jump. I sold some Pentax and bought some Nikon. I still own a K-5 II and about 5 or 6 K mount lenses. I also own a D750 and an increasing number of lenses.

What is your problem?
01-17-2018, 04:04 PM - 4 Likes   #2614
JPT
Pentaxian

Yaotomi Camera is a camera store in Osaka that’s a huge supporter of Pentax. Their Twitter has a post that suggests the DFA 50mm is close to release, and that it will be available in time for the cherry blossom viewing season. That implies that it would be on sale by mid March.

This is the post concerned:
https://mobile.twitter.com/yaotomicamera/status/953589340868829184

さあ、HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AWのは発売が、いよいよ目前に迫ってまいりましたね。「桜に間に合う」そんな言葉がちらほら私の界隈で開花しだしましたよ~

It’s possible that I misinterpreted it, but that’s my reading.

Last edited by JPT; 01-17-2018 at 04:15 PM.
01-17-2018, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #2615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For whatever reason, Sony seems to have some of the worst (most expensive) new prices for top end glass. Also, they don't have as long a history of FE mount lenses and so there aren't many used copies of those lenses running around either. I think you could make switch to Canon or Nikon for a more reasonable amount if you are buying used glass.

As far as Pentax glass selling, I think the Marketplace is usually the best option, but often lenses do sit for awhile before they move. Regardless, I'm glad the move has been good for you. The A9 is a serious camera and certainly is more than enough for most situations I can think of.
The A9 is a great specialized camera. For architecture or landscape photography there is no better option than the K-1. I photograph people and they are always moving. The eye AF really is a big deal. The silent shooting and black-out free EVF is really nice. I don't need 20fps, but I have see a lot of shots in the A9 groups when that came in very handy for getting the perfect shot. It has its place.

I'm sure you could make the switch to Canon or Nikon for less. If someone made a smart adapter for Pentax glass like they do for Canon/Nikon/Sigma I wouldn't need to sell any. I had a chance to use a Nikon 105mm F/1.4 on my A9 with and adapter and I was surprised that it was focusing faster than my friends Canon 5DIII with 85L. If I was a Canon or Nikon shooter the switch to Sony would be very smooth. Again.... There just aren't a enough K-mount users out there for anyone to invest in developing a smart adapter for K-mount. I thought about sending my Sigma 85mm back to Sigma and have them change the mount over to a Sigma mount and buy the Sigma to Sony adapter. But by the time I paid to have the mount changed and buy the adapter it wasn't worth it.

The Zeiss Batis 18mm F/2.8 can be bought for $1,200 - What is the Pentax option? Search: batis 18mm | Flickr
The Zeiss Batis 25mm F/2 can be bought for around $1,000 - What is the Pentax option? Search: batis 25mm | Flickr
The Zeiss Batis 135mm F/2.8 APO can be bought for $1,600 - What is the Pentax option? Search: batis 135mm | Flickr

How much will the D-FA* 50mm F/1.4 lens cost? I bought the Sony-Zeiss 50mm F/1.4 for $1,500 while it was on sale, but I expect that the new D-FA* lens will be priced very similarly. I expect the D-FA* lens to be a premium quality lens and prices according.
01-17-2018, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RE: 1.4 vs 1.2

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Then we could all joint the "1.2 only" club. They'd hate that. They think they are special.

I think they are paying Pentax not to make a 1.2.
In keeping with Pentax's time honoured tradition of odd maximum aperture sizes (43mm at 1.9, 21mm at 3.2, 70mm at 2.4) the new lens should clearly be rated as a DFA 50mm 1.3. Who can argue with that?
01-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #2617
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If someone made a smart adapter for Pentax glass
Fotodiox has the cheapest,they copied the Techart Pro...they said they didnt but the techart firmware updates also update Fotodiox!

You can use ANY K/Takumar...both websites say theres a weight limit,but theres a YouTube showing a 2.8kg Nikon lens working(cant remember which adapter)

01-17-2018, 11:21 PM - 3 Likes   #2618
Pentaxian

The eye AF really is a big deal.
Just to put things in perspective, when I purchased the K1 it felt great , at least for the first three month I was stunned by images taken with it. Now, I feel like it's a normal camera; I got used to the quality and I don't have older cameras to compare. Everything is relative, and all the joy is a thing that happens in the mind rather than bank account. If A9 did not exist, the other camera would be the best, it wouldn't prevent joy to happen. So far as I'm concerned I understood what is the deal with digital cameras: for large sensors, the cost of acquisition is much more than film (different economics), what that all means for me is I should buy a camera system of the format I want and stick with the same system for a decade or more, I'll pass on electronic improvements, because those are very frequent, and it makes no sense to pay for the cost of a new system just because there is 10% difference inside the body. You have money, sure, you do what you want with it. Saying Sony is great, yes, it does it for the first 3 months, at month 4 you realize how much money you dropped and that your images are the same because the person behind the camera did not change, that's hard to admit but it's the truth. Always jumping to the next best camera, is, either something encourage by marketing and sales, or some return to childhood.
01-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #2619
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The A9 is a great specialized camera. For architecture or landscape photography there is no better option than the K-1. I photograph people and they are always moving. The eye AF really is a big deal. The silent shooting and black-out free EVF is really nice. I don't need 20fps, but I have see a lot of shots in the A9 groups when that came in very handy for getting the perfect shot. It has its place.

I'm sure you could make the switch to Canon or Nikon for less. If someone made a smart adapter for Pentax glass like they do for Canon/Nikon/Sigma I wouldn't need to sell any. I had a chance to use a Nikon 105mm F/1.4 on my A9 with and adapter and I was surprised that it was focusing faster than my friends Canon 5DIII with 85L. If I was a Canon or Nikon shooter the switch to Sony would be very smooth. Again.... There just aren't a enough K-mount users out there for anyone to invest in developing a smart adapter for K-mount. I thought about sending my Sigma 85mm back to Sigma and have them change the mount over to a Sigma mount and buy the Sigma to Sony adapter. But by the time I paid to have the mount changed and buy the adapter it wasn't worth it.

The Zeiss Batis 18mm F/2.8 can be bought for $1,200 - What is the Pentax option? Search: batis 18mm | Flickr
The Zeiss Batis 25mm F/2 can be bought for around $1,000 - What is the Pentax option? Search: batis 25mm | Flickr
The Zeiss Batis 135mm F/2.8 APO can be bought for $1,600 - What is the Pentax option? Search: batis 135mm | Flickr

How much will the D-FA* 50mm F/1.4 lens cost? I bought the Sony-Zeiss 50mm F/1.4 for $1,500 while it was on sale, but I expect that the new D-FA* lens will be priced very similarly. I expect the D-FA* lens to be a premium quality lens and prices according.
Mm, you could get the Irix/Laowa lenses for your UWA primes, if you don't want the excellent 15-30 zoom. You could get Rokinon 24 1.4, very highly regarded, as well as Rokinon 135 f2 that has great reviews. All of those very affordable. Sure, you won't have a zeiss badge on those, but it's not like there are no options for pretty much any focal length out there for K mount.
01-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #2620
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yaotomi Camera is a camera store in Osaka that’s a huge supporter of Pentax. Their Twitter has a post that suggests the DFA 50mm is close to release, and that it will be available in time for the cherry blossom viewing season. That implies that it would be on sale by mid March.
Mid March is not that far away.
01-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #2621
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

This is the post concerned:
Twitter

さあ、HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AWのは発売が、いよいよ目前に迫ってまいりましたね。「桜に間に合う」そんな言葉がちらほら私の界隈で開花しだしましたよ~

It’s possible that I misinterpreted it, but that’s my reading.
I'd prefer a slight delay. Well okay, there's quite a delay however, a delay is better when it comes out as it should be. Nothing is perfect but, a near perfect lens is a perfect gift for people waiting for this lens. Me included.

Just a grumble on the side and no one's suppose to hear me.... I wish this would work on my k-5II.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 01-18-2018 at 01:04 AM.
01-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #2622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Originally posted by JPT
Mid March is not that far away.
I think I was happier when I had no idea what was coming - I just looked at what was available and, if it suited my needs and bank balance I bought it. I had no idea there was a FF in the pipeline when I bought the K-3, but I've not regretted it for a moment. Now I have both K-3 and K-1 and it covers most bases, If I'd waited for the K-1, I'd be missing a very good wildlife and macro camera. This isn't criticism of anybody, just wistful reflection
01-18-2018, 01:47 AM - 5 Likes   #2623
Pentaxian

Waiting for future consumer goods is a dumb idea in all cases.
It makes for funny small-talk on forums, but that is it.
You made the right decision to buy stuff when you wanted it and could afford it. You either "live" or you "wait".

I once read a nice 2 page short story about a guy who was given a golden clock from the devil. The devil promised that once the guy stopped the clock the situation he was in would continue forever, so he just needs to stop it when he was in the happiest situation of his life and could then enjoy it until eternity. Only if he died without using it his soul would be the devil's.
In the end the devil explains no human ever stopped the clock...
01-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #2624
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The eye AF really is a big deal.
To put things in perspective : That is the main reason why people around me go for Sony mirrorless despite the poor battery life.
01-18-2018, 03:30 AM   #2625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
For the record, I didn't really brand jump. I sold some Pentax and bought some Nikon. I still own a K-5 II and about 5 or 6 K mount lenses. I also own a D750 and an increasing number of lenses.

What is your problem?
He sounds like a guy who's having fun. Why should that be a problem?
Closed Thread