Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #2731
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,596
I'm not upset. And I'm supportive of a revised 50mm macro. I don't believe it will happen, but even KAF4-compatible extension tubes would be nice.

01-21-2018, 11:55 AM - 4 Likes   #2732
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,273
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not upset. And I'm supportive of a revised 50mm macro. I don't believe it will happen, but even KAF4-compatible extension tubes would be nice.
And while they are at it, I'd love to see a KAF4 reversing ring.

The product would have: 1) the reversing ring (an adapter between KAF4 mount to filter ring screw threads) that attaches the reversed lens to the camera, 2) a small mount ring you attach to the back of the lens with KAF4 & mount ring contacts, and 3) a short curly cable to communicate the KAF4 signals and power between the camera mount and the reversed lens.

A full-function KAF4 reversing ring would enable control of the aperture and AF motor of the reversed lens.
01-21-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2733
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,596
If you start a petition for such accessories, you'll have my signature. And if it happens, I'll even put it on my shopping list, though I cannot guarantee its priority
01-21-2018, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #2734
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,872
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And while they are at it, I'd love to see a KAF4 reversing ring.

The product would have: 1) the reversing ring (an adapter between KAF4 mount to filter ring screw threads) that attaches the reversed lens to the camera, 2) a small mount ring you attach to the back of the lens with KAF4 & mount ring contacts, and 3) a short curly cable to communicate the KAF4 signals and power between the camera mount and the reversed lens.

A full-function KAF4 reversing ring would enable control of the aperture and AF motor of the reversed lens.
Like one of these? Meike MK-C-UP Auto Macro Extension Tube AF Reverse Adapter For Canon Camera | MeiKe Store

Only for Pentax of course. Add in some led lights to work as a continuous ringlight (especially to help focus and compose) and an easy way to clamp on the ring flash (this might not be feasible given its existing design and inherently low working distance of a reversed lens) and it would be golden.

---------- Post added 01-21-18 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If you start a petition for such accessories, you'll have my signature. And if it happens, I'll even put it on my shopping list, though I cannot guarantee its priority
I'd also put it on my list. Below it would be 2 DFA*50 1.4's, so I could reverse one onto the other. Not that I think this would be a good way to shoot macro stuff, but it would be pretty baller. Even better if the DFA*50 has some kind of gold or silver plated limted edition.

01-21-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #2735
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,506
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
None of the Pentax branded extension tubes do that - you'd need a lens with an aperture ring (and AF is obviously gone, not that it would work well).
The D FA 50mm f/2.8 macro is inexpensive enough so that's not really an issue, but as I said I'd like to see an updated version.

Anyway, it's a bit weird to complain that this D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not a macro lens.
Who said reversing ring?
A simple extension tube with lens used 'normaly' and no problem at all.
01-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #2736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Any idea about the potential pricing? I know that it's a FA star lens, but the Nikon($446 for G)/Canon ($349... I know that they have L-series, but that's f1.2) equivalent 1.4s are a lot cheaper than the trinity is.
01-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #2737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,809
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Any idea about the potential pricing? I know that it's a FA star lens, but the Nikon($446 for G)/Canon ($349... I know that they have L-series, but that's f1.2) equivalent 1.4s are a lot cheaper than the trinity is.
We also have the FA50 f1.4 and the DA*55 f1.4 in K mount, this thing by its size is going to have higher performance and a higher price tag, LoC. If you're not into or can't do premium glass, it won't be your thing.
01-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #2738
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Any idea about the potential pricing? I know that it's a FA star lens, but the Nikon($446 for G)/Canon ($349... I know that they have L-series, but that's f1.2) equivalent 1.4s are a lot cheaper than the trinity is.
Tier wise it will be closer to this one
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens 2210 B&H Photo Video

01-22-2018, 02:40 AM   #2739
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,738
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Tier wise it will be closer to this one
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens 2210 B&H Photo Video
The most recent 50/1.4 was:
Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens SEL50F14Z B&H Photo Video

Just add the general lens price development from 2016 to 2018 to that.
01-22-2018, 02:49 AM - 2 Likes   #2740
Pentaxian
robjmitchell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne Aus
Posts: 1,445
But compared to the manual focus $4K Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens for Canon EF 2010-056 B&H

You get a bonus K1 to go with your DFA*50/1.4 plus $500 change
01-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #2741
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,956
A zeiss Milvus is $1200 though. Sony is expensive in lenses. The Sigma 50 1.4 sells for $950. I think the D FA* 50 1.4 will be something like $1200-1300
01-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #2742
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,738
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A zeiss Milvus is $1200 though. Sony is expensive in lenses. The Sigma 50 1.4 sells for $950. I think the D FA* 50 1.4 will be something like $1200-1300
A manual focus lens today has to be cheaper by at least 50% to be able to compete in a segment or is simply exotic. The latest Super 8 film camera is a few thousand $ as well.

Similarly 3rd party lenses have to be at least 1/3 cheaper than OEM wares with the same specs or they would not sell anywhere close to what the makers need.

If the DFA would come in as cheap as you say, it obviously would be a great bargain lens.
01-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #2743
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,956
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
A manual focus lens today has to be cheaper by at least 50% to be able to compete in a segment or is simply exotic
Not when it is a Zeiss. Anyway Canon's new 85 1.4 is $1600 and so is the Nikon 85mm 1.4 G. Sony's FE 85mm f1.4 is $1800. Ricoh is more likely to emulate Canonikon pricing, than it is Sony's pricing.
01-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #2744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,048
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Tier wise it will be closer to this one Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens 2210 B&H Photo Video
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The most recent 50/1.4 was: Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens SEL50F14Z B&H Photo Video
Just add the general lens price development from 2016 to 2018 to that.
I expect the D-FA* 50mm to be less than the Sony T* FE 50mm ZA. The Sony carries the Zeiss name, has 11 rounded blades compared to the D-FA* 50mm 9 blades, and the Sony has a clickless aperture and aperture ring for people who shoot video so it will appeal to a larger market. I know the D-FA* lens is going to be excellent, but I don't see it costing much over $1,200.
01-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #2745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,048
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Tier wise it will be closer to this one Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens 2210 B&H Photo Video
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The most recent 50/1.4 was: Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens SEL50F14Z B&H Photo Video
Just add the general lens price development from 2016 to 2018 to that.
I expect the D-FA* 50mm to be less than the Sony T* FE 50mm ZA. The Sony carries the Zeiss name, has 11 rounded blades compared to the D-FA* 50mm 9 blades, and the Sony has a clickless aperture and aperture ring for people who shoot video so it will appeal to a larger market. I know the D-FA* lens is going to be excellent, but I don't see it costing much over $1,200.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, drive, dslr, effort, f/1.4, f1.8, fa, im, k-1, lens, lenses, management, omega, opinion, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photo, product, quality, ricoh, sigma, size, statistics, tamron, taste, theory, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diglloyd reviews DA 35, DFA 50 and DFA 100 Macro lenses on the K-1 Matchete Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 06-09-2016 09:18 AM
Sigma 50/1.4 EX vs. Pentax FA 50/1.4 and DA 55/1.4 DonovanDwyer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 01-24-2014 12:54 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 10-20mm/4, Pentax FA 50/1.4, DFA 100mm/2.8 Macro Alam Sold Items 5 11-20-2011 03:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top