Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #2776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Cough.... this is a pentax forum!!
I work with pentax gear a lot, others have pointed out on this forum: the fact that I still use Pentax says much more about Pentax cameras when I work with other camera brands that some might consider "superior"

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's the same reason that folks have tended to shy away from the FA 31 limited. It is a very nice lens, but there are a cheaper options out there like the FA 35 which are pretty decent.
The problem with this rationale is that the FA35 isn't the FA31 limited. There is much more to the FA31 than just its optical qualities, the physical build quality of the FA31 makes it stand out among other lenses.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-23-2018 at 06:05 AM.
01-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #2777
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I work with pentax gear a lot, others have pointed out on this forum: the fact that I still use Pentax says much more about Pentax cameras when I work with other camera brands that some might consider "superior"

The problem with this rationale is that the FA35 isn't the FA31 limited. There is much more to the FA31 than just its optical qualities, the physical build quality of the FA31 makes it stand out among other lenses.
Sure but there is something to be said for using (and being satisfied) with the gear you can afford. (Most of us aren't professionals here).
01-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #2778
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure but there is something to be said for using (and being satisfied) with the gear you can afford. (Most of us aren't professionals here).
It's not even a matter of cost. I've spent on 3 of my lenses more than or roughly equal to the cost of the 31 ltd. The DA*60-250, the Tamron 300 2.8 and the DA*200. It's not that I couldn't have afforded a 31, it's that for what I do most of the time, it wouldn't have been the best choice. The quality of the 28-105 makes it an even harder choice.

I'd love to have the three Amigos, but I suspect they'd end up museum pieces.\ in the normhead celebration of LBA museum. My lack of use of my DA 35, 40 XS, and various 50s, Sigma 70 etc. suggests They wouldn't see a lot of use. They wouldn't be new in box after 5 years, but they'd certainly be in "like new condition".

Lenses I really use are not in "like new condition" after 3 months. My K-3 and K-1 have many chips in the finish and I have worn through the black finish in places on both of them. I just really value the ability to frame so 95% of my image will be part of the final print. To me, framing loses and cropping is a waste of sensor. I'm sure that happens with primes from time to time. It happens more with zooms.

Last edited by normhead; 01-23-2018 at 06:52 AM.
01-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #2779
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Clearly the world needs a Far Side tag/Emoji. I didn’t think my humor was that subtle!

01-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #2780
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly the world needs a Far Side tag/Emoji. I didn’t think my humor was that subtle!
I'm trying to think how we get this into an emoji...
Attached Images

01-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #2781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn’t think my humor was that subtle!
That is why I keep this handy...
01-24-2018, 12:32 AM   #2782
Pentaxian

Could anyone let a bit more leak out please, due to absence of any news about Pentax, I'm falling asleep. Are they on vacation (that's nasty one, I bet they are working like crazy)?

01-24-2018, 02:08 AM   #2783
Pentaxian

The leakers are sent on vacation ...
01-24-2018, 02:25 AM - 3 Likes   #2784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
due to absence of any news about Pentax, I'm falling asleep
yeah me too - I even had to go out and take some photos the other day, just to stay awake
01-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #2785
Veteran Member

CP+ is 5 weeks away, I’m assuming we will get a price and release date for the DFA* 50 then. Hopefully some more goodies to.
01-24-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #2786
Loyal Site Supporter

CP+ is 5 weeks away, I’m assuming we will get a price and release date for the DFA* 50 then. Hopefully some more goodies to.
I can see it now:
"Introducing the new Pentax DFA 50mm f/1.4, specifications and release date to be announced"
01-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #2787
Pentaxian

I'd be genuinely interested to learn about how a lens is designed and brought to market. I would imagine that if a company has its own optical design team, either it would be working on other optical products not aimed at DSLR camera products, or it would have the capacity to release one new camera lense every year or so, unless the lens design and manufacturing are outsourced (could be a valid model as well). If the model is outsourcing, then it is effectively possible to see a new lens once in a while, but not release of new lenses on a regular basis.
01-24-2018, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #2788
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
unless the lens design and manufacturing are outsourced (could be a valid model as well).
I think its really complicated. There are computer programs that help with lens designs (there was discussion on how computer aid is changing lens designs), there are various companies that produce special parts (aspheric or elements with special materials), different lens coating methods, factories that make specific parts (like mount, aperture blades, distance scales, AF motors), factories that put together the lens barrel.. parts of these can be outsourced, or even the whole chain. And its not the same for all lenses. We know some were done in cooperation with other companies, we know Pentax bought some Tamron designs, and we know third parties bought some Pentax designs (Tamron, Tokina, I think). It would be interesting to know, but I don't think we, the consumers, will ever get all these details.
Similarly to cars. A car is a certain brand, but that brand belongs to another conglomerate, and it has parts made by contractors and third parties, etc. etc. Modern day manufacture is really complicated and outsourcing is common. Traditional designs, which Pentax was famous for and was evolving for decades, are disappearing in favor of bam! pow! designs that are made by the next computer program and excel in some new way (but have unknown weaknesses)
01-24-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #2789
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Outsourcing is rampant because it works so well. These days, there's no way a single company can design and make the best products in the world including all the best versions of all the parts (electronics, electro-mechanical parts, sensors, etc.) that go into a product. All the technologies have become too complex for any one company to master very well. Outsourcing provides access to both more innovation from the leading-edge parts makers and lower costs from economies of scale.

What is interesting is that even if two brands are made by the same contract manufacturer using parts from the same sets of suppliers, the two products might be very different in features, performance, quality, and cost. Contract manufacturers will make anything you want (and are willing to pay for) -- super high performance, super high quality, super low cost, whatever. It's all in the negotiated specifications.

Last edited by photoptimist; 01-25-2018 at 09:09 AM.
01-24-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #2790
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I can see it now:
"Introducing the new Pentax DFA 50mm f/1.4, specifications and release date to be announced"
Can I ask, are you going to buy the DFA50/1.4, Bill? I mean, assuming it's as good as everyone's expecting, and you still own your K-1 by then?
Closed Thread