03-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #3136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The new 50 maybe big but wait for the 40XL! :0

03-16-2018, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #3137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the comment made in the Pentax Forum interview at CP+ Pentax intends to expand on the Limited line. That may be open to interpretation or translation but it seemed clear to me. Now when that might happen (or if) is another story. And just because they say that now does not mean it will ever happen, plans change, economics change, CEO's change.

However, nothing Pentax has done (despite all of the complaints here) strikes me as stupid or lacking of vision. I do believe they know what they are doing, they just do not have the magic wand to make everything we want happen over night, or even in any time frame that would make many happy.

That said they know the Limited ethos has been a Pentax trademark and I doubt they are going to walk away from that. So I fully suspect that the FA Limited line will get a refresh and some additions. But after they complete the DFA* line. Right now they have 31, 43 and 77 in inventory. I would bet they have a good handle on sales volume and already have an estimate of when that inventory will be gone. Look for adjustments in price on one or another of them as they balance that inventory. And expect a refresh when that inventory is sold. Perhaps 2021. We might see a wider than 31mm Limited some time before that.
03-16-2018, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #3138
Veteran Member

Limited 21mm f/2.8 please!
03-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #3139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Limited 21mm f/2.8 please!
I'd have to sell my current 21 ltd.

03-16-2018, 09:06 AM - 7 Likes   #3140
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well cherry blossom season is over by then.
Ron, you seem more like a sour cherry guy to me. You can catch them blooming in May in Michigan.

Sour Cherries Blooming at a Michigan Farm – Eat Like No One Else
03-16-2018, 09:07 AM - 4 Likes   #3141
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I'm sure asahiman has more than one profile on these forums ? I always thought asahiman was actually.....quite possibly.....You !
That would be a violation of forum rules making it possible to ban someone at least once, possible more than once at the same time.

Hysterical
03-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #3142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ron, you seem more like a sour cherry guy to me. You can catch them blooming in May in Michigan.

I thought that was supposed to be an insult Had to read it twice

03-16-2018, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #3143
Pentaxian

I think people tend to exaggerate the discontinuity of what we are seeing now with the (pre-Hoya) past. Pentax pro-level lenses always tended to be rather bulkier and heavier than others. To give a few examples: The K 28mm f/3.5 Shift (1975) came at 611 grams, its Nikon counterpart at 380 g. The FA 80-200mm f/2.8 (1994) was 1510 g, the Nikon version of the same vintage 1300 g. The A 300mm f/2.8 (1984) was 2970 g, the Nikon version was 2500 g (1982) or 2400 g (1986). I assume we may accept that this was not cue to the incompetence of the Pentax lens designers. So the fact that Pentax is now offering big and heavy but state-of-the-art lenses (as it did before) is not a good reason to assume there is a break with the past focus on fine but compact lenses.
(Nikon figures, which appear to be rounded, are from here: Nikon Lenses).
03-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #3144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I think people tend to exaggerate the discontinuity of what we are seeing now with the (pre-Hoya) past. Pentax pro-level lenses always tended to be rather bulkier and heavier than others. To give a few examples: The K 28mm f/3.5 Shift (1975) came at 611 grams, its Nikon counterpart at 380 g. The FA 80-200mm f/2.8 (1994) was 1510 g, the Nikon version of the same vintage 1300 g. The A 300mm f/2.8 (1984) was 2970 g, the Nikon version was 2500 g (1982) or 2400 g (1986). I assume we may accept that this was not cue to the incompetence of the Pentax lens designers. So the fact that Pentax is now offering big and heavy but state-of-the-art lenses (as it did before) is not a good reason to assume there is a break with the past focus on fine but compact lenses.
(Nikon figures, which appear to be rounded, are from here: Nikon Lenses).
That is true. And when pentax was consentrating on APS-C they did 16-50 &50-135 for lighter use than FF counterparts. That race is going on with mirrorless and m4/3 . If you want FF high quality, at brutal digital era, it’ll have to be little bigger.
03-16-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #3145
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

If the lens could be just a little more delayed then we could enjoy it along side a nice freshly brewed cherry beer.
http://www.brasseriedesfagnes.com/nos-produits/fagnes-griottes
Much more to like then the blossom. It is tasting the best with duck in cherry sauce.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-16-2018 at 12:10 PM.
03-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #3146
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You said that you find your best lenses for a few bucks, at second hand stores.
What is this, if not a declaration that you're not interested in a new Pentax lens?
How should we take such a declaration, in a thread dedicated to the D FA* 50mm f/1.4?

Again, I am left to assume you are referring to me, as you didn't quote my post in your reply.

So, assuming that is the case, please go back and re-read the comment.

I said "Some of . . . .", not all.

And I never declared that I'm not interested in new Pentax glass. Indeed, I have several Pentax lenses bought new, both film era and digital. The digital glass is great, but lacks an aperture ring. That makes them totally useless for macro photography using extension tubes or bellows. If I have no control over the aperture, then the lens does not allow total creative control. Add to that I always use the manual setting on my cameras, and choose to set the aperture and shutter manually, as well and focusing manually.

So until aperture rings are added back to lens offerings, I likely may not be interested in new releases.

And if I can achieve the results I desire using second hand lenses, why spend the money on expensive glass that does not meet my needs?
03-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #3147
Pentaxian

Quoting the post right before yours is considered poor netiquette, so I try to avoid it.

I know you're not one of the "bad guys", I'm not trying to start an argument with you. Obviously, your spending habits are not being under discussion - but stating that you're not interested in the thread's subject is a bit weird. Unless it was a question of some sort, in which case I'll apologize for missing it.
It sorta sounds like a "not for me, so not for anyone".

Well, me and a few others do see the point of this lens. There's Kenspo, working hard at pushing Pentax into the pro arena. There's me, happy to finally see ring-type SDM motors - such thing don't just appear in second hand lenses. There's Normhead, who initially didn't see the point but after further thought he changed his mind. Or those people praising Sigma Art lenses, which undoubtedly would be happy when Pentax beat those.
Whatever the product, there will be a majority not buying it. So what?
03-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #3148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is tasting the best with duck in cherry sauce.
Yum, and sounds like if you presented it correctly, it could make a neat food photo spread for the new D FA* 50/1.4.
03-16-2018, 08:23 PM - 3 Likes   #3149
Pentaxian

Quoting the post right before yours is considered poor netiquette,
How is that possible?? Until the computer comes back to you after you pressed the "Submit" button, you don't know which post in fact comes before yours. Two or three posts could be posted in the time you take to compose yours. I try to always quote the post I'm replying to because it means nothing without context.
03-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #3150
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Quoting the post right before yours is considered poor netiquette, so I try to avoid it.

If a response is directly to a specific post it should be quoted, to eliminate any doubt to whom it is addressed.

It sorta sounds like a "not for me, so not for anyone".

Not at all.

I would never say that my way is the only way.

Each of us is always at liberty to follow whatever strategy brings them the most satisfaction.
Closed Thread