Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #361
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I disagree. I use the K-1 and am still looking for small lenses whenever possible.

It's possible to make a very good FA50 that is small, and a superb FA77 that isn't much bigger. I understand that a better lens usually requires more glass, but I'm still hoping Pentax designer (and more importantly, Pentax project managers) do not forget that one of the perks of the company is the lineup of small, superb lenses.

Those are, in general, Limited and not STAR which tend to be larger, but still.
I think you might be quite disappointed in the Pentax of the future if you are still in the older mindset (and looking for compact lenses).

Nothing FF so far Pentax has shown since the release of the K-1 has been what I'd consider 'compact' -- the smallest of the bunch the 28-105mm is fairly small.. but it isn't a limited prime.. or even a limited zoom in size. I think big is the new compact in 2017. Image quality over lens compactness.

02-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And that's why many people are sticking to other systems.
agreed!

but I'm afraid the price on this one will be much more expensive than the Sigma offering...
02-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #363
Veteran Member

I'm expecting this lens on the K-1 to really blow us away and even get me lusting over the combination. Good on Ricoh!

My personal needs and constraints put me squarely in the APS-C camp for the foreseeable future, though. I'm very appreciative of the DA lenses and limited pancakes, and I remain convinced that the line will continue.
02-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Oh, I thought the 40mm worked OK but not great on the K-1. I thought there was heavy vignetting, especially at larger apertures. How are you finding it?
There have been a number of people posting images from both film and the K-1 to show that the 40XS works a treat on full frame.

I would love to go to New York City or Boston with a K-1 and just the 40XS and my 15Ltd and shoot around for a day. Anyone want to loan me a K-1 and a 40XS? Anyone?

02-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Maybe now people understand what i mean about "Future is bright"

And of course..i still see people whining

More to come anyway,
More lenses or more whinninh?

The former is good, the latter is the norm 😊
02-22-2017, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #366
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
agreed!

but I'm afraid the price on this one will be much more expensive than the Sigma offering...
Probably. But if it's as good as say the DFA* 70-200mm, then it may be worth it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #367
mee
Veteran Member

Probably. But if it's as good as say the DFA* 70-200mm, then it may be worth it.
Will the interview arrive tomorrow? or later for editing? I'm very excited to see what questions were asked and how they are answered.

02-22-2017, 04:55 PM - 3 Likes   #368
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I won't be rushing out to buy the DFA*50.
We know you better than that Sandy!

---------- Post added 23-02-17 at 10:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Nothing FF so far Pentax has shown since the release of the K-1 has been what I'd consider 'compact' .
True.... even I've gained weight since getting a K-1!

---------- Post added 23-02-17 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My 40XS (one of the smallest photographic lenses ever made) works great on my K-1. I guess that's not tiny enough?
I could put that lens down somewhere at home and lose it for a week.... doesn't happen with the DFA 150-450! (half hour looking at most).....
02-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #369
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What type of drive mechanism (DC, Pulse, SDM) isn' t mentioned.
Nor is the important question, should I buy this or the DA* 55 1.4 which is already available?

Odd to say the least, with a 55 already out there, an 85 or 135 are conspicuous in their absence. Especially the 135 with not a single new lens available between 100 and 200mm and the 100 and 200s being older designs.
I have the DA*55. It vignettes noticeably before f/3.5 at all focusing distances. It's generally correctable but it's enough to make JPEGs not really usable. Aside from this, it's pretty wonderful. It's my most used lens.

I am very interested in this lens and will likely sell my DA*55 to get it to get rid of the vignetting.
02-22-2017, 05:13 PM - 3 Likes   #370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
If Ricoh really wants to make me happy, they'll put together a podcast or YouTube talk show featuring kenspo and ogl. That would own.
Attached Images

02-22-2017, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think you might be quite disappointed in the Pentax of the future if you are still in the older mindset (and looking for compact lenses).

Nothing FF so far Pentax has shown since the release of the K-1 has been what I'd consider 'compact' -- the smallest of the bunch the 28-105mm is fairly small.. but it isn't a limited prime..
That is a scary forecast, and for all of us I hope you are incorrect. As others have pointed out, the KP suggests otherwise,
(yes it's APS-C...)

Zooms are big, so no surprises the DFA zooms are big. If you like zooms you rarely have a choice.

The K-1 is itself quite compact for a FF and as such clearly shows Ricoh hasn't lost the Pentax way. I'll trust Ricoh is wise
enough to hear those who, like me, do value compact solutions, (just as Ricoh heard those who wanted FF). I do very much
expect compact solutions to follow sometime after these Coke cans, hopefully sooner rather than later.

There will always be a place for compact solutions, at any format size. Otherwise, all any camera manufacturer would sell
would be large cameras with super zooms and we know that is not the case.
02-22-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #372
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
That is a scary forecast, and for all of us I hope you are incorrect. As others have pointed out, the KP suggests otherwise,
(yes it's APS-C...)

Zooms are big, so no surprises the DFA zooms are big. If you like zooms you rarely have a choice.

The K-1 is itself quite compact for a FF and as such clearly shows Ricoh hasn't lost the Pentax way. I'll trust Ricoh is wise
enough to hear those who, like me, do value compact solutions, (just as Ricoh heard those who wanted FF). I do very much
expect compact solutions to follow sometime after these Coke cans, hopefully sooner rather than later.

There will always be a place for compact solutions, at any format size. Otherwise, all any camera manufacturer would sell
would be large cameras with super zooms and we know that is not the case.
Please don't include me in your hopes... I'm thrilled we're getting big, fast, high performing lenses for K mount. And it should catch the ear of others disappointed in their current system, looking to switch but expecting certain (large, fast) glass to be there. We should all be cheering and rooting for that to happen. Because it means more funding for RI which means more products..

Besides, kenspo has pretty much already addressed the state of lenses.

I think personally maybe in the distant future we might see compact D-FA lenses. But not this year.. likely not next year.... and maybe never.

Like or leave it the larger trend, across the board for DSLR, is towards fast, high quality optics. Towards 'premium' quality lenses.

I think DA will stay small.. so crop body is probably where its at if you want to stay neat and compact with K mount.

For FF walkabouts, I'd like f/4 zooms. An updated 24-90 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/4. But I don't have high hopes for those either. So I'm not attempting to rain on your parade, just sharing what I see as the state of affairs for DSLR systems today.
02-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #373
Veteran Member

Im glad they are finally making something new. Also it might eventually make it easier to start picking pentax lenses up at a local store. So everyone is talking that this will be a big lens. Are we saying big as in the length of the 28-105 zoom size?

02-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And that's why many people are sticking to other systems.
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
That is a scary forecast,
But now I am a little worrying that, if the Pentax character is fading away, and it becomes just another Canikon, why would non-Pentax users switch to Pentax or start to buy pentax? As big, as heavy, same style, only performance is somewhat lagging behind (e.g. AF, flash, video..)?
And discarding Pentax's DNA might turn some older Pentaxians away. Some of us stays with Pentax in the past decades, because we found Pentax's style meets out needs. If Pentax becomes a 80% Canikon, or even 90%, why shouldn't users just pick 100% Canikon? Or SOny? or Fuji?
At the moment Canon changed FD mount to EOS, Canon brought out all their ability and talent and effort, gave new users an excellent system, including bodies and lenses. By doing that, Canon won the older and new users. --- Can Pentax do that? -- build a system that is much better than competitors?
Anyway, good to see Pentax is working hard to bring us new stuff that performances well. I just hope it won't turn to another direction completely and forget whom they were and whom they are.

Last edited by grahame; 02-22-2017 at 06:04 PM.
02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Also it might eventually make it easier to start picking pentax lenses up at a local store.
Not holding my breath but you never know. At this size the gear would definitely have a commanding presence on the shelf.
Closed Thread