Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2017, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #916

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
If Pentax and Nikon tells you,there is a lens or camera in development,than its normally in pre production and a real thing It's possible that the 50 is in target end of this year and 85 spring/summer next year.

2017 had to be "the year of primes" instead from Your information we would be having "year of delay"....

04-06-2017, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #917
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well hey, if you want to get new lenses sooner, then make sure Pentax sells more stuff. If a lot of K-1 and KP get sold, then that will raise the incentive for Pentax to hurry and release new stuff. It will also feed the R&D department, and even signal to third party makers to sell more Kmount lenses, triggers, flashes, etc.
So get all your friends to buy a KP, or at least a K-50
04-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #918
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well hey, if you want to get new lenses sooner, then make sure Pentax sells more stuff. If a lot of K-1 and KP get sold, then that will raise the incentive for Pentax to hurry and release new stuff. It will also feed the R&D department, and even signal to third party makers to sell more Kmount lenses, triggers, flashes, etc.
I got K-1 and two Pentax lenses since last September, hope they release this new 50 soon, I think I'll get it if it's as good (or better) than Sigma Art 50
04-06-2017, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, you're right - I tried to put my money where my mouth is - to the tune of 4.8K or so last year, but the well is dry now for a year or so - unless I can drum up some serious sales. There was a vague hint in the CP+ interview that K-1 sales had not been as high as they hoped - merely in line with expectations - but if we want stuffwemust be prepared to pay for it - and get others to do so, as you say.

04-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #920
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Not at all an interesting lens when you consider the 55 F1.4 I have and works great on FF, that said the 85mm F1.4 and a 135mm F2, one is a dream come true already got the money previewed for that just gotta see about a 135 lens. Hope Ricoh/Pentax take notice, kind regards to all who read. Ian
You are funny. For me it is "85mm not at all interesting, I have the very fine FA* 85mm. 50mm urgently needed to replace my nice but not-so-great FA50 f/1.4". One statement makes as little sense as the other.
04-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #921
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I think of Pentax in the category of Subaru or Mazda;.
At least in the USA, I always tend to lump Pentax, Subaru, and Nokia together... and am an owner of all 3
04-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #922
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
2017 had to be "the year of primes" instead from Your information we would be having "year of delay"....
"Year of the reference lens prime and then some".

Last edited by wed7; 04-06-2017 at 07:13 PM.
04-06-2017, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #923
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
The D-FA* 70-200mm was delayed almost a year. Cold molasses moves faster than Ricoh's R&D department. Maybe 2018 or 2019 will also be the year of the prime. Singular. One prime per year. They don't seem to have the capacity to develop more than one in house lens at a time. I still think we see Tamron produce the 35mm, 45mm, & 85mm F/1.8 lenses in K-mount. I think there is enough global demand to justify production, but Tamron may already be at capacity producing lenses for Canon, Sony, & Nikon.

04-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #924
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
50 in October also implies 85 in mid 2018?
Presenting one lens per year is not funny after presenting a FF camera.

50 was a mock up, so you are probably correct. I would be happy to play with the 85 today and not just in a years time.
Yes I think they showed 'us' a 3d print mockup of the 50 just to prove they were still alive as a company. To keep K-1 sales from diminishing in the uncertainty that silence causes..

I still think 50 comes August/Sept/Oct and the 85 first quarter 2018. But I still have hope they launch the telephoto zoom this year too as a surprise of sorts..
04-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #925
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The D-FA* 70-200mm was delayed almost a year. Cold molasses moves faster than Ricoh's R&D department. Maybe 2018 or 2019 will also be the year of the prime. Singular. One prime per year. They don't seem to have the capacity to develop more than one in house lens at a time.
This could be true under Ricoh's normal lens roadmap plan/pace. Pentax lens department is very busy just like Sony (with is too many lens mounts). I hope they can deliver in time and people can still wait. They waited for 10 years after all and I can only imagine if they will have to wait for more.
04-06-2017, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #926
Pentaxian

I would have agreed with that, but I finally don't.

It is now clear that Ricoh Imaging will not increase it's R&D teams or expenses, particularly in the opticial department, where new products are desperately lagging behind schedule and market's expectations.
Q mount : nothing new for about 3 years (wide zoom)
645 mount : idem for about 4 years (DA28-45)
K mount : barely one new optical formula every year
GR : nothing new for about 4 years
Theta : idem for 3 years

Asahi's elder and original "optical" label has obviously and factually become RI's last strategic priority.
And they are heavily loosing ground for this very reason.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-06-2017 at 08:15 PM.
04-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #927
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
On april 28th Ricoh will present their yearly financial report and maybe we will have a glance at the future.
04-07-2017, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #928
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I would have agreed with that, but I finally don't.

It is now clear that Ricoh Imaging will not increase it's R&D teams or expenses, particularly in the opticial department, where new products are desperately lagging behind schedule and market's expectations.
Q mount : nothing new for about 3 years (wide zoom)
645 mount : idem for about 4 years (DA28-45)
K mount : barely one new optical formula every year
GR : nothing new for about 4 years
Theta : idem for 3 years

Asahi's elder and original "optical" label has obviously and factually become RI's last strategic priority.
Almost, but not quite

Q might be dead, but can you blame them?
K-mount: 3 new K-mount lenses in 2015 (1 actually delayed), 2 in 2016.
GR II in 2015.
Theta S in 2015, R Developer Kit in 2017.

Some people believe they can "punish" Ricoh into submission, threaten them with lost sales, bashing them on the Internet. Ricoh "only has to" suddenly get a Canikofujony-like product line, while keeping low prices of course. Trivial.
It doesn't work that way, Na Horuk has the gist of it - except it's IMO more long winded than it seems from his post. Higher sales, or same sales at somewhat higher prices - that would encourage them to launch more products. Low sales would rather encourage them to try something else

I'd be very curious to know why are they moving so slow. The D FA* 70-200 was postponed, and the production process had to be revised, are they cautious about the other D FA*s, perhaps?
As for expenses, for this FY Ricoh allocated over 40 million $ to "increase production capacity for digital cameras, etc." (it's in their Securities report for the previous year). No idea what that means.
04-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #929
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
On april 28th Ricoh will present their yearly financial report and maybe we will have a glance at the future.
Thank you for this. Everything will all make sense once we know what.
04-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #930

Suddenly. I am wondering will this lens equips PLM or DC motor? The PLM and AF on the new 55-300 is so impressive.
Closed Thread