Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2017, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #1411
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Good..Because I've said it before, and I say it again..The time for the small lenses are gone Quality over size is the new way!
Well, thanks for the warning. Makes it easier to resist the K-1 as well

07-25-2017, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #1412
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, thanks for the warning. Makes it easier to resist the K-1 as well
You know you can use the older lenses on K-1? With the limited resources Pentax have, you can't blame them for making new stellar lenses for the K-1
07-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #1413
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You know you can use the older lenses on K-1? With the limited resources Pentax have, you can't blame them for making new stellar lenses for the K-1
Definitely. On both accounts. But since some of my favourites are DA Limiteds and there are no DFA counterparts for them (and will never be, if I read you correctly) the K-1 will be a waste. I will not buy that camera to use it in crop mode.

Again, stellar lenses are very new. But stellar lenses don't have to be huuuuuge

But hey, I'll live very well in the world of APS-C.
07-25-2017, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #1414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Definitely. On both accounts. But since some of my favourites are DA Limiteds and there are no DFA counterparts for them (and will never be, if I read you correctly) the K-1 will be a waste. I will not buy that camera to use it in crop mode.

Again, stellar lenses are very new. But stellar lenses don't have to be huuuuuge

But hey, I'll live very well in the world of APS-C.
I only have 31 and 77mm that works like a charm on K-1. I didnt say NEVER, but not very soon Pentax dont have the resources or size to produce lenses as fast as Nikon etc do. They have a priority on the best primes they can make for K-1 right now. And they are not that huge But will never be limited size again.

If APS-C is all you need, then its good enough. They are still small and portable

07-25-2017, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #1415
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I only have 31 and 77mm that works like a charm on K-1. I didnt say NEVER, but not very soon Pentax dont have the resources or size to produce lenses as fast as Nikon etc do. They have a priority on the best primes they can make for K-1 right now. And they are not that huge But will never be limited size again.

If APS-C is all you need, then its good enough. They are still small and portable
I'm in no hurry; if Ricoh gets to making small primes eventually that's good enough for me. Prioritising the big ones is perfectly fine with me. Still, it would be a shame if they really decided to dump the Pentax heritage of small primes.

Even APS-C is way more than what I need, but what's that to do with anything
07-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #1416
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sony has tended to under engineer their lenses and then rely on in camera post processing to take care of vignetting and distortion, but even they decided that they needed a line up of bigger lenses that are (I think) sharp without a whole lot of post processing. The G Master lenses are quite large, but there is a group of photographers who want that sort of lens.
The G Master lenses, despite their size, were designed to be as small as possible while still meeting their specific goals. So in terms of lens performance, size does matter.

Part of the reason for the growing size of lenses is the development of high resolution sensors. The G Master lenses are designed not merely for the current stable of high resolution sensors, but for possible future greater resolution sensors as well. It's likely similar thinking is behind these new DFA* lenses. It's the inevitable result of megapixel madness.

I have no issues at all with Pentax making these mammoth f1.4 primes. I'm confident they'll be the finest K-Mount lenses ever made, combining the resolution of the Sigma monster "Art" lenses with the rendering and colors Pentax is known for. The fact that Pentax is not making the sort of DFA lenses I might want also doesn't bother me one bit, as it prevents me from being tempted by the lure of FF, thus saving me thousands of dollars.
07-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #1417
Veteran Member

They really need to just release the new fifty already to show us what they wanted to achieve with it and hopefully reaching their goals. I think if the new fifty is the best lens they've ever made optically it would calm some folks down)

07-25-2017, 08:44 AM - 4 Likes   #1418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A k-mount lens release every, say, 9 months would probably go a long way to showing the peanut gallery that Ricoh is serious. Bonus if they alternated; big fat hot rod kenspo style lens, then a svelte, variable aperture, easy to carry normhead style lens.
07-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #1419
Veteran Member

Kenspo and Normhead style lenses! Lol
07-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #1420
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
They really need to just release the new fifty already to show us what they wanted to achieve with it and hopefully reaching their goals. I think if the new fifty is the best lens they've ever made optically it would calm some folks down)
Indeed! And yet the worst thing they could do is release it before it is ready.

For better or worse, the world of camera products isn't like kindergarten where everyone gets a gold star just for trying. Unless Pentax can produce a lens that is actually great, their high aspirations and efforts won't count.

(Note: this whole issue is one big reason why companies are so tight-lipped about new product plans. Creating a new product involves lots of uncertainties and risks about product performance, specs, and release dates. Failure is worse than silence)
07-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #1421
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Indeed! And yet the worst thing they could do is release it before it is ready.

For better or worse, the world of camera products isn't like kindergarten where everyone gets a gold star just for trying. Unless Pentax can produce a lens that is actually great, their high aspirations and efforts won't count.

(Note: this whole issue is one big reason why companies are so tight-lipped about new product plans. Creating a new product involves lots of uncertainties and risks about product performance, specs, and release dates. Failure is worse than silence)
Yup, photographers can behave like kids for sure never ending debates "this brand vs this brand", "this lens over this lens" etc never fail to entertain
07-25-2017, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #1422
Pentaxian

Good..Because I've said it before, and I say it again..The time for the small lenses are gone Quality over size is the new way!
I'm depressed. I think I'll go work on the outhouse or something.
07-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #1423
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

The Canon 1.2 appears to be a lot smaller than the Pentax 1.4.
The Canon lens is a film era lens.
07-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #1424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Canon lens is a film era lens.
People say that like it means something.

Sigma 50 1.4 815 grams

Nikon 50 1.8 G 185 grams

For an extra 5% resolution you add, 600 grams. That gentlemen is crazy stupid. You can't even see that in a final print or image. This is a case of the Emperor has New Clothes.

The Sigma control of CA is much better, but that isn't translating to more resolution. Someone show me what it does translate to. The photon site doesn't even think you should worry about CA until it's more than a pixel wide.

Last edited by normhead; 07-25-2017 at 11:41 AM.
07-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #1425
Pentaxian

That is one review. But what do you think about this example?
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lens-compare-fullscreen?compare=true&lensId...fl2=55&av2=1.4

According to this test, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G, at its optimal aperture, is unable to reach the Zeiss Otus' wide open sharpness.
Closed Thread