Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The falling rate of SLR sales has got to be concentrated around the cheaper end where the competition is fiercest with other types of camera, so you have to concentrate on the IQ that the alternatives simply can't match - and to do that you need great lenses - and I'm betting that this will be one of them

02-22-2017, 04:03 AM   #137
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
This looks like excellent news for those of you shooting with the K-1.
Exactly. Cheap first class FF body, accompanied by medium-priced but premium glass that delivers very best out of FF sensors, and especially with pixel-shift. It is reasonable proposition.
I can only imagine, that such a combo will blow people's socks off.
02-22-2017, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
(...)
Based on the 50 I suspect we will also see a DFA* 24 and 85 as these are the most common primes in the pro arsenals and will sell best. More important to make lenses that sell than fill in "exotic" holes in the line up that are covered by zooms. That would make the wide angle prime a 28 or 35mm, what do the Japanese prefer?
28mm, definitely (Ricoh GR, etc.). 35mm is more a "European" focal length (Leica).
02-22-2017, 04:05 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Highly interesting lens!

Zeiss says the following in their marketing material regarding the Otus 55/1.4:

"absolutely no compromises", "highest-possible image quality", "accept no substitute", "exceptional performance", "spectacularly detailed", "optical and technical excellence", "perfect optical correction", "highest contrast performance", "outstanding sharpness", "exception to the rule" and ... "The best standard lens in the world"

Will this also be true for this new Pentax Star lens?

02-22-2017, 04:05 AM   #140
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The falling rate of SLR sales has got to be ...
Actually, DSLRs are selling at some 3x higher sales numbers than SLRs during the entire film era.
So I don't understand what "falling rate" you write about, when historic numbers tell the opposite is true.
02-22-2017, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Bohkeh of DA55 is horrid.

Well, I think I'm not the only one who disagrees with this statement.
02-22-2017, 04:07 AM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
It pulled their sales by Nikon and Canon cameras customers. Are you sure there are many Pentaxians that want to mount these huge beasts on the most compact DSRLs on the market?

K-1 by it's 36 Mpix matrix is not a child's toy and furthermore - it is great and competitive tool for a portrait photography, and 50/1.4 DFA will in my opinion address this need. If you are a pro You are eager to provide ultimate quality. For compactness You have a limited line and this is what you really need.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah but for how long will they be produced? Just pro lenses isn't going to cut it. The FA 50 1.4 is ancient. The 43 is an acquired taste. We need choice, so Ricoh better keep on the alternatives to this one until they come up with a new nifty fifty to go beside Godzilla fifty.

But D1N0 you have a wide choice if it comes to 50ties. Samyang 50/1.4, Pentax DA, FA, F, M, A, K, now DFA and Sigma. For me the lack of choice here is ultimate DFA. And probably I will buy this lens because I already invested in DFA 70-200.

02-22-2017, 04:07 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Perhaps Pentax should consider a fast 50 APS-C Limited?

Another 50? Is the DA50/1,8 too slow? It's 2/3 of a single stop from 1,4.
02-22-2017, 04:08 AM   #144
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
28mm, definitely (Ricoh GR, etc.). 35mm is more a "European" focal length (Leica).
Unfortunately, Pentax thinks in their own terms — 31mm.
31?!?! (half-way between 28 and 35)

They should better have 35mm now — no time for silly jokes anymore.
02-22-2017, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
IF you completelly fail with DA*55 and don't know what you are doing...then anything is possible. I love my DA*55 bokeh n' all
02-22-2017, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #146
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's about time we got a 50mm star lens. Hopefully thing thing blows all the old lenses out of the water. Otherwise, the size wouldn't make sense.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 04:11 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Size comparison:

(...)
Will I dare to say that the lens mount seems a tad larger on the FA than the D FA★, thus implying that the latter could be even bigger in comparison with the former?
02-22-2017, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Actually, DSLRs are selling at some 3x higher sales numbers than SLRs during the entire film era.
So I don't understand what "falling rate" you write about, when historic numbers tell the opposite is true.
You can't just take an arbitrary point back in the past for comparison and then claim that because the current number is higher, there is no decrease. If sales were lower last year than the year before, that means falling sales, irrespective of what the numbers used to be 20 years ago. And as evident from sales statistics, DSLR sales have been falling significantly from at least 2013, if not earlier.

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Another 50? Is the DA50/1,8 too slow? It's 2/3 of a single stop from 1,4.
Particularly because there already is an APS-C f/1.4 - the DA* 55 f/1.4 SDM AW

I'd much rather have Pentax introduce a 24 APS-C to match the DA 35 and DA 50, and update the latter two with HD, DC/PLM and WR.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 02-22-2017 at 04:20 AM.
02-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's about time we got a 50mm star lens. Hopefully thing thing blows all the old lenses out of the water. Otherwise, the size wouldn't make sense.
I'd believe that focusing is much more reliable and aberrations, distortion, ect. Just what I'v been praising about my DA*55 is actually that it is not so fast in terms of focusing, and there are also other shortcomings...those corrected, it might be too hard to recist.
02-22-2017, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #150
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Correct. It is possible to get busy bokeh from the DA*55, but generally it is very pleasing in my experience. And by gum, it can resolve some detail.

This one can be viewed at full size to reveal the photographer reflected in Sammy's eye.

More bokeh. Shot at f/4.0 and pushed four stops in PP, so ISO 51200 equivalent.

Closed Thread