Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #166
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Highly interesting lens!
What could be interesting in 50 mm lens?

02-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has it been positively determined that this isn't the Sigma 50 1.4 Art in a Pentax jacket? That AF/MF switch on the side in about the same position as on the Sigma for other mounts makes me wonder...

Another lens that I'm not even close to being in the market for. I hope Ricoh can sell tons of the things. But it doesn't look like a lens that Pentax would sell, to me, where small and light was valued over increased correction. Not sure if I should hold my breath for a small/light 24~28mm prime in the mold of the F 28mm anymore. Or that it would work on my K-5 II.
02-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
It is kind of strange that You are asking a company which has 5-7% of a global market to act like it would have 30% like Nikon. R/P does not have resources to address this kind of needs but in my opinion they are aware of that people tend to use their legacy lineup.

The second thing is that You ask the same (30 - 40 or more....) years formulas in a new package. I ask - why? You already have them in a very competitive price :P
I don't really care what you find strange. Pentax has the formula's they have modern lens technology (KAF4). It would be easy to marry them. Not a lot of development costs at all. They cannot keep selling the nineties plastic fantastic design forever. People want faster and more silent AF nowadays.
02-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #169
Veteran Member

@ogl
Indeed. There is already Zeiss Planar 50mm for lovely stopped down IQ and "artistic" soft rendering wide open. 43mm ltd also does it with AF.

What I need is 21/2.8 mm native super high IQ prime. And proper electrically coupled 24mm T/S.

02-22-2017, 05:21 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Has it been positively determined that this isn't the Sigma 50 1.4 Art in a Pentax jacket?
Considering how warm and welcoming Sigma has been with their recent lens releases for Pentax K mount I would say there is a zero chance of this being a re-branded Sigma lens.

Pentax would have more of a chance of this being a electronically retrofitted Zeiss Otus....I would find that much more plausible than a sigma re-brand.
02-22-2017, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Has it been positively determined that this isn't the Sigma 50 1.4 Art in a Pentax jacket? That AF/MF switch on the side in about the same position as on the Sigma for other mounts makes me wonder...
also, as noted previously, there is no precedent for giving re-badged lenses the star (*) rating
02-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #172

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
People want faster and more silent AF nowadays.

And that's why we have DFA 50/1.4, are we?

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Not a lot of development costs at all.

So... how are the costs?

02-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
And that's why we have DFA 50/1.4, are we?
Now you are just ignoring my previous points mr wiseguy. This ends here.
02-22-2017, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What could be interesting in 50 mm lens?
As a person who owns over 180 50mm lenses, there are a lot of interesting things manufacturers have tried over the years with 50mm lenses.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-22-2017 at 05:42 AM.
02-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Considering how warm and welcoming Sigma has been with their recent lens releases for Pentax K mount I would say there is a zero chance of this being a re-branded Sigma lens.

Pentax would have more of a chance of this being a electronically retrofitted Zeiss Otus....I would find that much more plausible than a sigma re-brand.

Its * lense..That makes it 100% Pentax.
02-22-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

As a person who owns over 180 50mm lenses, there are a of of interesting things manufacturers have tried over the years with 50mm lenses.
That is a rather startling admission, my Uncle Ron the hoarder comes to mind.

How is anyone else going to get one if you've got them all?
02-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I'm aware that Sigma has continued to sit on the sidelines with no stated intention of returning to k-mount land any time soon. I don't know that Sigma wouldn't agree to, say, a 10,000 piece run of 50 Art guts to ship to Pentax Vietnam for build-up into this lens. In fact, this seems pretty plausible, as what does Sigma have to lose save for a dent in the amount of 50 Art lenses they could sell in their own wrapper for a given amount of time in return for an agreed to sale of parts. Plus it might give them an idea of how well their sort of lenses sell in k-mount land without any real skin in the game.

Time will tell I guess.

p.s. How is Sigma's current k-mount stance any different from Tamron's? Outside of the fat zoom rebadges which is the same kind of situation I'm asking about.
02-22-2017, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great looking lens, I bet it will be stellar!
02-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #179
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yikes! Its HUGE!

Given the length and girth and depth of the hood, I would have guessed a fast 85.

Steve
That's about right when mounted on APS-c. Everybody knows that the size is reduced when used on the full frame K-1
02-22-2017, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'm aware that Sigma has continued to sit on the sidelines with no stated intention of returning to k-mount land any time soon. I don't know that Sigma wouldn't agree to, say, a 10,000 piece run of 50 Art guts to ship to Pentax Vietnam for build-up into this lens. In fact, this seems pretty plausible, as what does Sigma have to lose save for a dent in the amount of 50 Art lenses they could sell in their own wrapper for a given amount of time in return for an agreed to sale of parts. Plus it might give them an idea of how well their sort of lenses sell in k-mount land without any real skin in the game.

Time will tell I guess.

I don't see it that way at all. Pentax is still designing lenses. Correction, look at the Pentax DFA 70-200, Pentax is still designing better lenses than Sigma does.Claiming Pentax is thinking of using rebadged Sigma's sounds more like Sigma guerrilla marketing than a valid comment. When they needed a few lenses to fill out their line up in a hurry, Pentax went to Tamron and I speculate part of that is their relationship with Jun Hirakawa. There is no indication anywhere of Pentax dealing with the mount reverse engineering Sigma corporation. That's a complete fabrication as far as I can tell.

Is the Pentax 1.4 going to be better than the Sigma 50 1.4 you ask? Well, is the DFA 70-200 better than the Sigma 70-200? There are precedents here.

Everyone wants to believe corporations like Sigma can do just as good for cheaper, and that's understandable, but probably not very realistic.
Closed Thread