Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #226
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There is absolutely nothing to be gained by supplying more lenses to that market
I agree, I love what Ricoh is doing right now - they have all the lightweight lenses they need, but at the same time they shouldn't forget to update them, like the DA* lineup.

02-22-2017, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #227
Veteran Member

I really agree with Ricoh's plan here. For us lightweight guys, Pentax already has the glass to keep us happy. Excellent at APS-c small system components, and has more lightweight APS-c lenses than any other manufacturer. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by supplying more lenses to that market. That isn't going to get them back into the market.

The future is bigger, more corrected lenses. That is the market Pentax hasn't tapped. They need to produce "want to have " glass. Glass that people will buy a system now because they hope someday to have the funds to buy the lens they want. It may turn out that practically they never buy that glass, but that doesn't matter, as long as they buy in to Pentax because it's there.

Lenses like this are a benefit to Pentax, regardless of eventual sales, or how long it takes to break even, I am just thrilled to see it coming even though I have no intention of ever buying one.
Norm, I think you hit the nail on the head.
02-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Oh not for us then.

---------- Post added 22-02-17 at 15:03 ----------

The DA* zooms were co-developed with Tokina but not co-produced. They had similar optical formula's but were not made in the same factory. This should be common knowledge.....
It's worse: those have Pentax patents.
02-22-2017, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't really care what you find strange. Pentax has the formula's they have modern lens technology (KAF4). It would be easy to marry them. Not a lot of development costs at all. They cannot keep selling the nineties plastic fantastic design forever. People want faster and more silent AF nowadays.
Actually, I don't think they can easily marry them. Faster and more silent AF often requires very different optical design in which a compact motor moves a compact optical subgroup deep inside the lens instead of having a large helicoid that shifts the entire lens back and forth.

02-22-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw this size compare:

https://pageshot.net/images/c6310f79-2aca-47f4-8bd8-6c3fbd0835d0.png
Attached Images

02-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #231
Pentaxian

67mm filter diametre at least, probably 77 if not 82.
02-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #232
Veteran Member

I really agree with Ricoh's plan here. For us lightweight guys, Pentax already has the glass to keep us happy. Excellent at APS-c small system components, and has more lightweight APS-c lenses than any other manufacturer. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by supplying more lenses to that market. That isn't going to get them back into the market.
I think there is a lot to be gained by supplying a modern APS-C wide-angle zoom (HD, DC/PLM, WR etc.) to replace the ageing DA 12-24 f/4, and to introduce a compact DA 24 to accompany the DA 35 and DA 50, and fill the very popular position that 35 mm occupies on FF

Pentax' APS-C line-up is very good, but it is not complete.

02-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #233
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Lens was designed by Pentax, hence patent was granted to Pentax. By this logic D FA 24-70 is a jointly developed lens between Tamron and Pentax.

I just love how any announcement of new Pentax product, immediately gets received with whining chorus of people, that expected something tailored specifically for their taste. And of course, any lens release is accompanied by moaning about it being a Tamron/Sigma lens disguised by evil Ricoh as a Pentax.
Optical design patent is not full lens.
24-70 is not jointly developed lens. It's 100% Tamron.

It seems to me you don't understand the context of discussion, take the phrases out of context and make rather strange claims about whining.
You see what you want to see. You soon believe what you desire.
02-22-2017, 07:51 AM - 4 Likes   #234
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yikes! Its HUGE!
It has to cover a MILF sized sensor.
02-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #235
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
As for me - I miss this lens...Stay with FA43
02-22-2017, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
'at fault' ? You mean 'thanked.'
I really agree with Ricoh's plan here.
Let's say I'm not displeased (just a bit impatient...)

This lens is not for me, I'd rather want more travel-oriented D FA Limited-ish lenses (modern, WR and DC/PLM) of different focal lengths; but it's nice to see Pentax going all-out in lens design.
Actually what I'd want couldn't possibly be as small as the FA Limiteds (at similar FLs and apertures). What I'd need the most is a peek into their internal lens roadmap, so I could decide what to get, and what to wait for
02-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm not sure about competing offerings, but do any of them offer image stabilization in a F1.4 50mm? It's not an intrinsic trait of the lens but, given that the K-1 has very effective stabilization, it will be a powerful selling point nevertheless.
The Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 ZA gets the advantage of the IBIS in the SLT cameras and is also very well regarded otherwise. Other than that, the closest you get is probably the Tamron SP 45/1.8 VC, which of course yields 2/3 stop.

(Apologies if this was already mentioned; I stopped reading the thread after this page.)
02-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #238
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Cant wait to use this in studio, with both portraits of rockstars and some nude models haha
more coming.... Doe this mean the replacement of K3II is a near.
02-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
more coming.... Doe this mean the replacement of K3II is a near.
I was talking about lenses.
02-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is that some kind of LCD/LED display on the distance scale ?
Closed Thread