Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
DA21, in my estimation, is a bit too wide, and too slow. I'd rather have something closer to 30mm than 20mm. Something faster for better low-light perf and background separation through depth of field effect would be preferred. An autofocusing motor arrangement bolted to the old M-series 28mm f2.0 sounds like a wonderful thing.
IIRC, there is a "wide angle prime" on the lens map, so quite possibly a 24mm, and perhaps f/1.8.

28/2 is awfully close to 31/1.8, though.

Last edited by luftfluss; 02-22-2017 at 10:09 AM.
02-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems to be one great lens and people here should all be happy.
At least, Pentax (Ricoh) is starting to deliver.

Although I won't buy it, ... still and always with APS-C (for the moment), I<m sure it will please of lot of K-1 users!
02-22-2017, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Well, I'm glad that as for the time being, future thinking is more important then just satisfy already old users of Pentax. They want to attract more pros and new pentax users..And this will show in what they also release in the time to come. The time with small glass is over
Just to be clear, it's not that I don't think the DFA*50 will be a good feather in the cap for Pentax. But I disagree that compact glass
is somehow 'old'. The current trend for big glass is certainly fueled by all the online comparisons, (DXO et al), which at best have
little real world applicability for most people, save the ability to refer to a chart and claim, "mine's bigger".

Everything is cyclical. I do fully expect that at some point in the future there will be a demand for 'smart' lenses that acknowledge the
benefits of size and portability, just as the FA Limiteds address so well. And when that happens, there will be a chorus of young, (or
forgetful old), shooters proclaiming 'big & heavy is over', 'compact is the future', 'let the dinosaurs die' and what not.

Yes, the DFA*50 will certainly fit the bill for someone. And a lot of others will buy it because a chart told them to do so. But it is no
more the future than a gorgeous, smart, compact HD DFA43 Limited could, (will), be.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 02-22-2017 at 10:15 AM.
02-22-2017, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #259
Pentaxian

It's amazing how many discussions of new lenses degenerate into people imagining what the perfect lens for them would be.

One of my photography teachers once said, " Find the lens you love, buy the camera it goes on." He said nothing about sitting around imagining what the perfect lens might be. That in no way improves your photography.

02-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You mean like my DFA 28-105, which vignettes from time to time?
Some full frame zooms, of all brands, may vignette at the long end. Full frame primes rarely vignette.
02-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #261
Veteran Member

Sony is probably going to release a +/-77MP BSI FF sensor later this year. Ricoh needs to be designing glass that can resolve 100MP. 100MP sensors with 4 pixel binning is probably not to far off in the future.
02-22-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
Some full frame zooms, of all brands, may vignette at the long end. Full frame primes rarely vignette.
Source? Research? How many zooms and primes have you tested?

Such generalizations are usually worth next to nothing. All they can do is produce prejudice against good zoom lenses that don't vignette. Only knowledge of specific lenses is useful.

Last edited by normhead; 02-22-2017 at 10:16 AM.
02-22-2017, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
But it is no more the future than a gorgeous, smart, compact HD DFA43 Limited could, (will), be.
Well..for us who works as pros, a newer and better lense is welcome. And i work on a daily basis to sell in Pentax to other pros and new users. Most of them have absolute NO interest in the old lenses, that includes the limited ones. My work is much easier now, with K-1, the new 2.8 zooms..and so will this new 50mm do..and the coming primes. So sorry if the marked doesn't agree with you. Neither do Ricoh
02-22-2017, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of my photography teachers once said, " Find the lens you love, buy the camera it goes on."
I tried buying just a lens first to see if I love it, but they said I needed a camera, too.

Shrewd salesmen?
02-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
IIRC, there is a "wide angle prime" on the lens map, so quite possibly a 24mm, and perhaps f/1.8.

28/2 is awfully close to 31/1.9, though.
These guessing games stink. I doubt anyone not getting early background info like kenspo would have guessed that this D-FA* 50 was coming. Are the full frame kids going to be excited about a 24mm prime when there isn't a 20 or 17 or something, you know, decently wide? I'd want something at least as wide as my 15 Ltd is on crop if I were holding a K-1.

I realize the lens concept I mentioned, like a new D take on the M 28 2.0, is not likely to happen. I'll take an D-FA 28 f2.8 instead. If that doesn't happen I'm off to ebay to find and F 28.

p.s. Where is ASAHIMAN?
02-22-2017, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
What about 16-50 and 50-135? They are * and they were developed together with Tokina, as far as I remember. So * itself doesn't make it necessarily 100% Pentax.
The DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135 were designed and patented by Masakazu Saori, who is currently the leading lens designer at Pentax (he designed the DFA* 70-200). There's no evidence that Tokina collaborated with Pentax on any designs of any lens. The DA 12-24 is the only Tokina designed lens in Pentax's lineup. It seems to have replaced a Saori designed 12-24 f3.5-4.5 (further evidence of no collaboration, for why would Pentax design their own 12-24 lens if they were collaborating with Tokina on what became the DA12-24?).

You're telling me that Sigma would back away from 10,000 assured sales of partial lenses?
No, obviously Sigma would do it, the question is, Would Pentax do it? What I suspect people are missing here is that Sigma and Pentax have diverging lens design philosophies, with Sigma emphasizing sharpness and numerical specs, and Pentax subjective perceptual image quality. As is explained over at pentax.com: “There are many ways to assess image quality. PENTAX has traditionally stayed away from the kind of image quality defined solely by excellent numerical assessment. It is probably because we regard sensory evaluation much more highly than most people would imagine.”

Sigma's lens philosophy is closer to that of Olympus. Indeed, there are reasons to believe (i.e., the existence of patents) that the Oly 75/1.8 and the Oly SHG 90-250 are based on Sigma designs.
02-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #267
Veteran Member

p.s. Where is ASAHIMAN?
They have tighten the leash..so maybe they're on to him? Pentax has made it crystal-clear, that they dont like leaks..Thats why I'm very careful on what i share and not
02-22-2017, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Well..for us who works as pros, a newer and better lense is welcome. And i work on a daily basis to sell in Pentax to other pros and new users. Most of them have absolute NO interest in the old lenses, that includes the limited ones. My work is much easier now, with K-1, the new 2.8 zooms..and so will this new 50mm do..and the coming primes. So sorry if the marked doesn't agree with you. Neither do Ricoh
Not sure if every pro disregards portability, but I understand your point. Nonetheless, an HD DFA Limited wouldn't be an old lens,
and would surely also be welcome.

No need to get all, 'if you don't like it, go elsewhere'. Ricoh has my interests in most every area and I am a very happy owner of
Pentax gear new and old. And my desire for compact gear, for both my professional and amateur needs, is as legitimate as
your satisfaction with carrying a suitcase full of heavy equipment.
02-22-2017, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #269

Exciting

Great to see the first of the primes breaking cover - hope it's at the Birmingham (UK) photography show. Nice also to see that they are targeting pros and serious amateurs with lenses which match the superlative quality of the K1.

Speaking of the quality of the K1 I was pleased to see one of my images on the Ricoh UK Facebook page:

We love this shot by photographer (and... - Ricoh Imaging UK | Facebook

Jonlg
02-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Not sure if every pro disregards portability, but I understand your point. Nonetheless, an HD DFA Limited wouldn't be an old lens,
and would surely also be welcome.

No need to get all, 'if you don't like it, go elsewhere'. Ricoh has my interests in most every area and I am a very happy owner of
Pentax gear new and old. And my desire for compact gear, for both my professional and amateur needs, is as legitimate as
your satisfaction with carrying a suitcase full of heavy equipment.
I dont say that you do things wrong. I just say that the marked doesn't agree with you. Ricoh has seen that too. Some like compact gear, many dont. And for the time being, its not the small and compact stuff that is a priority. Maybe on a later stage. At this moment they make new stuff for the future and what the marked want.

And as i said, i notice this since i work with it on a daily basis. My life is much easier now, and this 50mm will also help a lot
Closed Thread