Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 11:35 AM - 3 Likes   #286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I disagree. I use the K-1 and am still looking for small lenses whenever possible.

It's possible to make a very good FA50 that is small, and a superb FA77 that isn't much bigger. I understand that a better lens usually requires more glass, but I'm still hoping Pentax designer (and more importantly, Pentax project managers) do not forget that one of the perks of the company is the lineup of small, superb lenses.

Those are, in general, Limited and not STAR which tend to be larger, but still.
I currently have both APS-C (K-3II) and FF (K-1) cameras. I have resigned myself to the fact that if I want a more compact kit, I am gonna stick with crop, if i want ultimate quality (i.e. big and heavy) I will break out the K-1.

02-22-2017, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I never understood the back and forth about who designs/licenses/builds etc lenses and if they are rebadges. Who cares if it takes great pictures and satisfies your needs?
Both tamron and sigma make very high quality lenses that go head to head and even better some of their OEM counterparts. If Ricoh wraps some of those lenses in Pentax clothing, and makes money doing it, i really fail to see the downside.
Of course.
IMO at least the 24-70 was a good idea - instead of a very expensive OEM version, likely the 15-30 too (as it seems a very low volume lens).

But then, there are others aspects to consider, for example:
- people (even here) claiming that Pentax is unable to design lenses
- endless price comparisons between newly announced "Pentax" D FAs and the heavily discounted Tamron equivalents (eventually using EU prices even if the poster is from the US)
The effect? The who-made-what discussions.

I guess we both agree with the necessity of Pentax designing their own lenses (except for the occasional Tamron rebadge) so I'll skip this subject.
02-22-2017, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #288
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax needs modern, high quality glass like this (hopefully this one will resolve the full potential of the 36mp sensor in k-1) to attract new people. When I switched over to pentax, the only hesitation I had was the lack of new glass and vague promises of new lenses on the horizon. Thankfully I haven't regretted my switch, but I'm definitely going to save up for the 50 1.4 as there's nothing to else there to buy really in that category for me personally, and I really want a nice, fast and sharp 50 to glue to my k-1)
02-22-2017, 11:56 AM - 4 Likes   #289
Imp
Pentaxian

I'm not concerned with bigger lenses although I prefer smaller ones. Because Pentax has shown that they are still committed to compactness with the release of the KP. APS-C for small size, Full Frame for beast mode.

I'm cool with that.

02-22-2017, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Pentax needs modern, high quality glass like this
Thank you! This is what i've been trying to say too. But many people here seems more busy trying to say why we dont this or dont need that. They dont see the big picture.
02-22-2017, 11:59 AM - 3 Likes   #291
Veteran Member

We're in 2017. If someone wants compact and lightweight, the're much better options available than a FF DSLR, no matter the brand. And on the other hand, if someone buys a FF DSLR as the K-1, it's probably because he doesn't -or shouldn't- care that much about size than top IQ. Although I understand people loving "small lenses", most will not buy a K-1 system because they want small and lightweight. They will only buy it if it can provide top IQ over the competition, and this need top glasses no matter the size.

The limited lenses are great. They made lot of sense in the film days or early DSLR era when everyone was either using 24x36 or APS-C, leading to similar size cameras. But today, even if mounted with a ltd lens, a K-1 will always feel heavy and bulky relative to most cameras on the market. It doesn't mean it's not nice to have, just that it shouldn't be a top priority.

So, for me the new 50 makes a lot of sense, assuming it meets the expectations for top IQ. Certainly more than trying to play the small size game, which will be an uphill battle against competitors with a fondamentally more compact design.

Last edited by CarlJF; 02-22-2017 at 12:11 PM.
02-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
... there's nothing to else there to buy really in that category for me personally, and I really want a nice, fast and sharp 50 to glue to my k-1)
I would find a vendor with a kind returns policy and start shopping DA*55's if I were in your position. I also wonder about about the Sigma 50 1.4 EX.

02-22-2017, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #293
Pentaxian

I personally do not understand what is with so much of negativity. This is first of lenses on the roadmap. By look of it it seems to be aiming high! There is nothing less to be waited for other lenses in this gategory...if one does not like big and heavy, there is and will be good alternatives.

If pentax saved a lot of effort of using rebadged Tamrons to get things going(15-30&24-70) SO WHAT. that was great move, and there is no reason to make those lenses by them selves, because there was really good ones available. Someone said that these Sony cameras are clever because, even if they don't have many lenses made, they can be had by other means...still many ended up buying lenses made by Sony...AND that time could be put in new lenses, like 70-200.....

SO.

This 50/1,4, 70-200 were ones that they really wanted to make in their own standard. And then following ones too...I do not se any problems.

-About tokina and pentax co-op in past. I think that small brand like pentax back then, it was solution that had to be done. Designing lenses is expensive and time consuming...putting effort together with other company, makes sense, because it made it possible for Pentax to be alive still today..-
02-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thank you! This is what i've been trying to say too. But many people here seems more busy trying to say why we dont this or dont need that. They dont see the big picture.
I don't suppose you can share whether most/all future lenses will be KAF4? I can't buy them anytime soon, because they only work on the K-1 (no backup body for the lens) out of the bodies I own. If that was the case, I'd be contemplating the Tamron DFA zooms.
02-22-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I personally do not understand what is with so much of negativity. This is first of lenses on the roadmap. By look of it it seems to be aiming high! There is nothing less to be waited for other lenses in this gategory...if one does not like big and heavy, there is and will be good alternatives.

If pentax saved a lot of effort of using rebadged Tamrons to get things going(15-30&24-70) SO WHAT. that was great move, and there is no reason to make those lenses by them selves, because there was really good ones available. Someone said that these Sony cameras are clever because, even if they don't have many lenses made, they can be had by other means...still many ended up buying lenses made by Sony...AND that time could be put in new lenses, like 70-200.....

SO.

This 50/1,4, 70-200 were ones that they really wanted to make in their own standard. And then following ones too...I do not se any problems.

-About tokina and pentax co-op in past. I think that small brand like pentax back then, it was solution that had to be done. Designing lenses is expensive and time consuming...putting effort together with other company, makes sense, because it made it possible for Pentax to be alive still today..-
Hear, hear!!! Thank you!

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 08:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I don't suppose you can share whether most/all future lenses will be KAF4? I can't buy them anytime soon, because they only work on the K-1 (no backup body for the lens) out of the bodies I own. If that was the case, I'd be contemplating the Tamron DFA zooms.
Wish could..but they are watching me and some ****** people runs of and spread my words all over the place..so i keep quiet about most things.

The 2 D-FA zooms you're talking about is just as much Pentax as Tamron. And they are very good..I use both every day
02-22-2017, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course.
IMO at least the 24-70 was a good idea - instead of a very expensive OEM version, likely the 15-30 too (as it seems a very low volume lens).

But then, there are others aspects to consider, for example:
- people (even here) claiming that Pentax is unable to design lenses
- endless price comparisons between newly announced "Pentax" D FAs and the heavily discounted Tamron equivalents (eventually using EU prices even if the poster is from the US)
The effect? The who-made-what discussions.
All of that is absolutely right - if you can prove you can compete at the top level - and Pentax * lenses can - then people trust you at a lower level, and buy in if they want and upgrade path. Pentax has collaborated as they have too, whether because of fund starvation or the need to push through with FF -but top quality lenses are what stand out in the final image, and that's what people see. Given a K-1 and a solid tripod and a shot that suits 70mm, I will use the 70-200 every time over the 24-70, It's a better lens and it produces better images - and nobody wants to produce inferior IQ (in shots where IQ matters). Once you've seen what is possible, you don't want to settle for less - and people looking at the pictures will see the difference too, even if they can't put into words. There's the old cliche about people looking at your works of art and saying ' lovely- you must have a good camera' and photographers seething - but here's the news - the same shot taken with the K-1 and 70-200 will be better than a comparable field of view taken with (say, as I had it for years) a K10D and a 50-200 consumer lens. Better in every way. Better equipment doesn't make you a better photographer, but it makes the picture you do take better. And that's what people see.
02-22-2017, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #297
ogl
Banned

The main question - will this lens be not only technically superb, but the lens with soul? FA50/1.4 is really pleasant picture's lens.

To develop 1000 USD (or higher price) sharp, big and heavy lens with WR and motor is not problem. The main thing of any lens is final picture.
02-22-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
will this lens be not only technically superb, but the lens with soul? .
Are you drunk? Think most people doesn't care about that..And care about the only important thing..QUALITY!
02-22-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #299
ogl
Banned

Thats fair enough..What ever works for you. But most pros and potensial new users of the Pentax system think different. These new lenses are made for the future and make my work easier I can see your point about size, but not many outside the "pentax circle" care much about having stuff small as possible..
Are you drunk? Think most people doesn't care about that..And care about the only important thing..QUALITY!
With friends of Pentax like this, who needs an enemies?

I don't drink at all. It seems to me you have the soul of manager, not poet.
02-22-2017, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
With friends of Pentax like this, who needs an enemies?

I don't drink at all.
Still have no clue what you are rambling about?
Closed Thread