Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #301
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
We're in 2017. If someone wants compact and lightweight, the're much better options available than a FF DSLR, no matter the brand. And on the other hand, if someone buys a FF DSLR as the K-1, .
K-1 is not big camera for FF DSLR

02-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
kenspo, I think he is talking about "pixie dust", which Pentax lens are said to be famous for by people already using the term.
02-22-2017, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thank you! This is what i've been trying to say too. But many people here seems more busy trying to say why we dont this or dont need that. They dont see the big picture.
Ken, I typically respect what you have to say, but you're making the cardinal sin of projecting your opinion as solely correct,
and others as incorrect for not agreeing.

As this thread clearly illustrates, the picture is bigger than your vision of the future. Take a step back and you can see
it all.
02-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
kenspo, I think he is talking about "pixie dust", which Pentax lens are said to be famous for by people already using the term.
The day i'll figure out what he tries to say, i'll be happy

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Ken, I typically respect what you have to say, but you're making the cardinal sin of projecting your opinion as solely correct,
and others as incorrect for not agreeing.

As this thread clearly illustrates, the picture is bigger than your vision of the future. Take a step back and you can see
it all.
Im not talking about MY opinion only. I work towards the marked trying to sell in Pentax on a daily basis. Im speaking my experience about what people say and wants. A big difference there. You dont have to agree with them, but Ricoh does.

02-22-2017, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #305

Good news for me i was waiting for new d fa lenses. Im new on pentax system with my k1. I was about to buy sony full frame then i changed my mind pentax pls dont let me down
But i don't understand why sigma tamron they dont make new lenses for pentax mount? Pentax users which we dont buy their products or another issues? I didnt get it.
02-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wish could..but they are watching me and some ****** people runs of and spread my words all over the place..so i keep quiet about most things.

The 2 D-FA zooms you're talking about is just as much Pentax as Tamron. And they are very good..I use both every day
Aww, thanks anyway. How do they compare to the D-FA* zoom? It's on my K-1 almost all the time since I got it. I'm also a bit concerned about the weather sealing on non-* optics.
02-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #307
ogl
Banned

The day i'll figure out what he tries to say, i'll be happy [COLOR="Silver"]

How old are you?

02-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #308
Veteran Member

I would have been happy with either a new 50mm F/2 Limited or this new D-FA* 50mm F/1.4 as long as the quality is top notch I don't care. I just want some modern high quality glass. I also want to see if Ricoh still has the talent to design premium lenses. The D-FA* 70-200mm is a great start. I hope the D-FA* 50mm F/1.4 is better than the Sigma ART line. Its possible that it is a Sigma 50mm F/1.4 rebadge, but we won't know until we see some specs.
02-22-2017, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Aww, thanks anyway. How do they compare to the D-FA* zoom? It's on my K-1 almost all the time since I got it. I'm also a bit concerned about the weather sealing on non-* optics.
Just as good. Only reason 15-30 and 24-70 doesn't have the * is due to it be made together with Tamron. 70-200 is 100% Pentax. But they are just as good
02-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #310
ogl
Banned

To say honest I don't understand the logic of Ricoh's management.
No primes for wide-angle till 30 mm, no 85 mm lens. The users have a lot of 50 mm lenses...There is FA43.

Why this 50 mm monster first?
02-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #311
Veteran Member

Sorry @ogl ..Best if i have you on ignore again. Best of luck!
02-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #312
ogl
Banned

Sorry @ogl ..Best if i have you on ignore again. Best of luck!
Are you from nursery school?
02-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #313
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I am asking for a simpler more compact cheaper design that suits a photographer who is not a pro.
The more I use the K1, and especially the DFA*70-200 , the more I think it is aimed at pros. It's large, very well built and deliver the best iq, but this is not really the kind of walk-around vacation lens. But for guys really into it, it's a pleasure to use.
02-22-2017, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I currently have both APS-C (K-3II) and FF (K-1) cameras. I have resigned myself to the fact that if I want a more compact kit, I am gonna stick with crop, if i want ultimate quality (i.e. big and heavy) I will break out the K-1.
I prefer the K-1 to the K-3 (I still own both) not so much because of the resolution and FF sensor, but because of the ergonomics, features, design, menus, etc. I have come to rely a LOT on the LCD overlay in the viewfinder, the swiveling screen, the third dial, etc. I feel constrained when I take out the K-3 again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- people (even here) claiming that Pentax is unable to design lenses
Who ever claimed that?

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
When I switched over to pentax, the only hesitation I had was the lack of new glass and vague promises of new lenses on the horizon.
One of the problems Pentax has with marketing is that they cannot seem to convince people that some older lenses are still superb by 2017's standards. The FA limiteds (even the DA40 which works on FF) are the perfect example.

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
But today, even if mounted with a ltd lens, a K-1 will always feel heavy and bulky relative to most cameras on the market. It doesn't mean it's not nice to have, just that it shouldn't be a top priority.
I disagree. The K-1 is slightly smaller than the K20D was. It is on par, or close to, some APS-C bodies from other brands.

And it doesn't mean a small lens doesn't contribute to keeping the overall size under control.

I can see your point about size, but not many outside the "pentax circle" care much about having stuff small as possible..
My friends shooting Nikon and eyeing my Limiteds with envy beg to differ

I fully understand that a larger 50 like this one will tremendously improve results wide open (the FA50 is usable but not impressive) and I see where it belongs in the lineup. I'm glad such a lens is coming along. I simply see that all the DFA lenses so far have been very large. I hope Pentax does not forget that it can produce superb compact lenses. A re-release of the FA20, FA28, FA35, FA135, with minimum work on the design, would work wonders. A full frame version of the 20-40 (which is already capable of covering the full frame sensor size from around 24mm) would also be welcome. A slight enlargement of the DA40 LTD to improve the corners could also please many.

The FA LTD are regarded as crown jewels, but they were not designed for test charts. They do not rest as well as modern design. And that's perfectly ok, it's their rendering which makes them special, not their MTF graphs.

In short, it's possible to release ultrafast and ultralarge lenses that work on full frame, but that doesn't mean it should exclude smaller, more compact lenses.
02-22-2017, 12:51 PM - 4 Likes   #315
Pentaxian

Why a 50mm? Let me guess, way back then (sorry Kenspo :P) there was some sort of race between SLR manufacturers: who made the best 50mm lens? And if I'm not mistaken Pentax was right there at the top of the list. They made top notch stuff, in fact the 50mm Takumars were SO good optically and mechanically that Asahi made them at a loss. The mechanical quality was SO high, not even this new 50mm Star lens will come close. Of course, times have changed. They can compute a superb lens scheme in a matter of seconds. However, this will not mean a pleasing overall picture, or a great bokeh. This is why pixie dust is still needed, and Pentax is king in this regard.
Closed Thread