Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I want tiny primes like the DA Limiteds. That's the main reason I have no interest in switching to full frame. </grump>
You have a knack for posting the incomprehensible. The FA ltds are small fast full frame lenses. The lenses people have been buying Pentax crop bodies for over the years, just so they could continue using them? , you know, those FA ltds? 31 43 77 ?

My 40XS (one of the smallest photographic lenses ever made) works great on my K-1. I guess that's not tiny enough?

Last edited by normhead; 02-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.
02-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #332

Photos: Gallery
Prime lenses

Earlier this month I bought a 35mm f2.4 for my K5II so I am happy. I understand that it does a good job (at 35mm) on the K1 plus 35mm SLR's - I still have my ZX-M! If I need a fast 50mm then my Series A f1.7 will have to do.
Regarding shared production capacity,then have a close look at the Tamron 18-300 & Pentax 18-270, the front ends are identical and although the picture quality is different suggesting different coatings, they were both equal first in a travel lens shoot-out test magazine in the UK.
02-22-2017, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #333
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I am both happy and positive for the progress Pentax is making and that they see what is important.
I am too - a super high quality 50mm is a good benchmark lens to produce. Long may it continue.

The good news is Pentax are continuing to produce very good quality competitive bodies, and also bring to market a range of professional grade lenses.
02-22-2017, 02:00 PM - 6 Likes   #334
Forum Member

Ricoh is showing a lens prototype from a new family of FF lenses and people are already jumping to conclusions that somehow
  • It's going to be first lens released
  • This means that R&D is not working on wide angle/telephoto lenses
  • It's not going to have pleasant rendering and FA 50 1.4 will definitely be better than the new one
  • Ricoh management is incompetent and don't know the market they are aiming for
  • Pentax is not going to release any compact lenses anymore despite releasing compact KP and heavily promoting it with Limited lenses
  • Nobody needs fast modern normal prime because I'm happy with my 70's Takumar/80's SMC/90's FA

Last edited by Foxbat; 02-22-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typos
02-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #335
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Agostevey Quote
Earlier this month I bought a 35mm f2.4 for my K5II so I am happy. I understand that it does a good job (at 35mm) on the K1 plus 35mm SLR's - I still have my ZX-M! If I need a fast 50mm then my Series A f1.7 will have to do.
Regarding shared production capacity,then have a close look at the Tamron 18-300 & Pentax 18-270, the front ends are identical and although the picture quality is different suggesting different coatings, they were both equal first in a travel lens shoot-out test magazine in the UK.
The Pentax 18-270mm is optically identical to the Tamron 18-270mm (circa 2014) and comes straight out of Tamron's factory.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #336
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I really hope they do
You'd be surprised- when the K-S1 was released, they didn't seem to realize that the LEDs on the grip wouldn't be visible during use But that's an entirely different can of worms.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #337
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
but Sigma 50 art not avail. in K mount.
And that's why many people are sticking to other systems.

Adam

02-22-2017, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'd be surprised- when the K-S1 was released, they didn't seem to realize that the LEDs on the grip wouldn't be visible during use But that's an entirely different can of worms.
That's because they have two functions - as a remote LED/timer indicator, and as a face detection count for self-portraits (neither done while hand-holding the camera)? That can of worm, isn't what you think

---------- Post added 22-02-17 at 11:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
[*]Ricoh management is incompetent and don't know the market they are aiming for
Ricoh management being incompetent is always a good assumption - as we have here lots of people with decades of experience into running a camera company
02-22-2017, 02:33 PM - 5 Likes   #339

I am a moderator of a pentax group in Brazil and I agree with kenspo, publicizing the brand with k-1 and its modern zooms is much easier and more accepted by the professional public. Pentax right here without official and well-known representation.

Pentax's great novelty is that 50mm D FA * taking the company to new heights.
02-22-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Ricoh is showing a lens prototype from a new family of FF lenses and people are already jumping to conclusions that somehow
[LIST][*]It's going to be first lens released
Seems kind of right, though, yes? I mean, we've got the lens roadmap... There could be others shown the same day, this is the first leak found. I'd like another lens with this one anyway.
QuoteQuote:
[*]This means that R&D is not working on wide angle/telephoto lenses
Has anyone actually suggested that they believe Ricoh has no Pentax wides coming?

QuoteQuote:
[*]It's not going to have pleasant rendering and FA 50 1.4 will definitely be better than the new one
What? Who suggested that?
QuoteQuote:
[*]Ricoh management is incompetent and don't know the market they are aiming for
Who suggested that?
QuoteQuote:
[*]Pentax is not going to release any compact lenses anymore despite releasing compact KP and heavily promoting it with Limited lenses
Blame what's his face evangelist posting comments about how this is the way of the future and to forget small glass because that's history if you don't like people suggesting such things.

QuoteQuote:
[*]Nobody needs fast modern normal prime because I'm happy with my 70's Takumar/80's SMC/90's FA
Yeah, well, see above about a guy saying we have to shop old stock if we want small fast glass going forward. Plus what are we supposed to do, wish for old glass and ignore all the k-mount gear that works for us? Multiplier: A *lot* of the install base cannot use KAF4 lenses. Right now the new 55-300RE is the only lens I can buy that I can't actually use properly on my K-5II. But again the voice is telling us that it's "modern hardware" going forward. I can't justify buying a new body right now. This lens isn't tempting me but that previously mentioned 28mm I keep whining about would create a question for me.
02-22-2017, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #341
Pentaxian

@willeisner:
That should be obvious, if only we'd stop clinging to the past
Every other brand is churning out modern, expensive equipment.
02-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And that's why many people are sticking to other systems.
I'm not foolish enough to ask for some kind of scientific sampling on this, but, do you think the Sigma 50 1.4 Art is drawing people to one platform or another OR away from k-mount land? I kind of figured the DA*55 would have been "close enough". Or the FA 50 1.4 itself although I understand that by looking at and reading a bit of information on it that a person might assume it's a 20+ year old "nifty fifty" that isn't anything to brag about.

I don't talk to a lot of professional photogs so I don't know what they're thinking about a lens like the DFA 50 or the Sigma 50 Art and how they might change platforms/brands because of this or that.
02-22-2017, 02:41 PM - 5 Likes   #343
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@willeisner:
That should be obvious, if only we'd stop clinging to the past
Every other brand is churning out modern, expensive equipment.
Exactly, and even if you don't want it personally, you should be happy it's there, for the folks who do.
You should be capable of being happy for people other than yourself.
02-22-2017, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #344

I think making compact lenses is not very easy nowadays better image quality requires higher amount of glass the acclaimed lenses of the past had no WR, no internal focus and no focus motor. There are many things to pack into a lens, and I think most would not buy a lens without these modernities
02-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #345
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm not foolish enough to ask for some kind of scientific sampling on this, but, do you think the Sigma 50 1.4 Art is drawing people to one platform or another OR away from k-mount land? I kind of figured the DA*55 would have been "close enough". Or the FA 50 1.4 itself although I understand that by looking at and reading a bit of information on it that a person might assume it's a 20+ year old "nifty fifty" that isn't anything to brag about.

I don't talk to a lot of professional photogs so I don't know what they're thinking about a lens like the DFA 50 or the Sigma 50 Art and how they might change platforms/brands because of this or that.
One lens alone certainly isn't, but the Sigma "Art" series has gotten a very big following because of lower prices compared to premium first-party lenses and comparable (sometimes better) image quality. If Pentax can at least match the image quality and breadth of this lineup, then folks who already appreciate the Sigma lenses, or were considering them, might be swayed to go for Pentax.

I don't think the DA* 55mm plays much of a role as far as pros are concerned, since at the end of the day it's marketed as a crop lens.

Adam

Closed Thread