Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
Yes Pentax for DSLR
Ricoh for Mirrorless

02-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN one interview a few years ago, Pentax brass offered the opinion that mirrorless didn't yet meat their standards, implying that when it does, they will make a mirrorless.
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Here
Yes Pentax for DSLR
Ricoh for Mirrorless
Jim Malcolm said Ricoh wasn't convinced EVF's were sophisticated enough to justify a MILC; but they thought OLED might eventually offers a suitable solution.
02-23-2017, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The tape on the gold trim ring probably hide where it says "by SIGMA".
02-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #529
mee
Veteran Member

Here
Yes Pentax for DSLR
Ricoh for Mirrorless
The answer was in the same article, next sentence: "If this were their choice, it would be more logical and productive to develop a completely new lens mount."

No way they'd do that since it would not be beneficial to K mount.

Further, if they went mirrorless, it is too easy for 3rd parties to create adapters to mount other brand's lenses. Why wait 6-10 months for the Pentax 50 f/1.4 when you could buy an EF adapter to mount the Sigma or Canon variants today?

02-23-2017, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why wait 6-10 months for the Pentax 50 f/1.4 when you could buy an EF adapter to mount the Sigma or Canon variants today?
Maybe this answers my hypothesis?

Anyhow I don't care for an argument... but can't consumers do that now with products bought from rival manufacturrs?
02-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
When you suspect they might be on store shelves?

I'm guessing July at earliest.. maybe as far back as October. The UW and the D-FA telephoto zoom probably next year?
TBH, I have no idea, since Pentax is now gunning for premium products, I do not expect them to be fast when it comes to introducing new products, maybe 1-2 years? Can Pentaxians wait that long? I hope I am wrong with this.

When Sigma announced their 14 and 135 ART lenses, I initially thought how poor Pentax again will be left behind, but with Pentax's announcement (50 and 85) I think Ricoh was challenged to provide us superb lenses same as the Sigma's. User's just need/have to wait, if they can.
02-23-2017, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #532
mee
Veteran Member

Maybe this answers my hypothesis?

Anyhow I don't care for an argument... but can't consumers do that now with products bought from rival manufacturrs?
Can and do! I'm sure it hurts sales... the difference is a Canon or a Sony can afford it...

I suspect it would crush tiny Pentax right now...

02-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
if a new sensor with more pixel density increase the visible resolution, then it mean the previous sensor was not able to fully leverage the resolution of the lens.

Another way to see it; using a TC or pixel shift, you get more details.

As for your definition... Simple example. I tried to find something that would match, but that too boring. I could find some hair in a wedding photo in the end. Taken at f/2.8 that isn't the lens best as per reviews. In attachment full image, 100% crop, 400% crop. This is on a K3 a 24MP APSC that provide more pixel density than K1. K1 cropped to APSC only provide 15MP.

The problem you could have mostly is that the dof is razor thin and almost nothing benefit of the high resolution, but the lens is indeed capable and we see 1 pixel large hair on the photo. Mission accomplished.

Beside let's not forget this is FA lens design for film, not even digital and that the lens is also small and light and a bit further from the registration of the mount than a 50mm would be.

The actual question is how usefull it is? The 100% crop here is 1024. On my 22" monitor, full HD it take 1/4 of the screen. To keep the same magnification on the whole image, I need a 65" 6K TV that doesn't exit yet. And if I am seeing it from further distance than 20", I'll not be able to see more details that what is displayed anyway.

The problme if I do that, if that only the hair are perfectly in focus, and all the rest is OOF. I'd need to use f/8, and there I'd loose the bokeh. This sharpness thing is completely irrelevant. Maybe if I print 40x60" landscape and look at it from near distance I can benefit of the 24MP K3...
How is it wide open then. 2.8 is fairly slow for a prime, even the smc 50 1.8 that I have resolves fair amount of details at 2.8

If sharpness is irrelevant to you that's fine. I do want a sharp wide open lens though, if I'm using it at 2.8 I can just get the 50 2.8 macro for much less and get sharp results.

I'll try to find wide open raws from 77ltd and say Otis, or Sigma 85 art, and compare for myself, see what the difference is like if any
02-23-2017, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect prints from some of these flat, sharp lenses can outresolve the human eye.
02-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It looks nothing like the Sigma Art, besides at least the filter thread is different (I expect elements count and grouping to be different, too - that doesn't stop people from pretending the D FA* 70-200mm is a Tamron, though...)

An interesting detail - for the sample presented under glass at CP+, the inscription after "Pentax D FA* 1:1.4 50mm" was blackened out. Which means it was there in the first place
[??] ???????????CP+?????D FA? 50mm F1.4?????????(13/28) - ???? Watch
Here is an image of the Sigma 50mm ƒ1.4 Art lens:

The Pentax D-FA* 50mm ƒ1.4 prototype looks to be in a similar vein to the Sigma.

I would like to see Ricoh/Pentax make a modern FA 50 ƒ1.4. New coatings. Quick-Shift. WR. etc. No need to reinvent the wheel.
02-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #536
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The tape on the gold trim ring probably hide where it says "by SIGMA".
More likely where the lens serial number will be. Probably has some prototype number for testing purposes.
02-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #537
Veteran Member

hummm I dont see that much of a "similar vein" there.. When they released the 24-70mm you could actually tell that the lenses were really similar.. but with this 2.. i dont see it .. it actually follows how the D FA* 70-200 looks like..
Attached Images

02-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
More likely where the lens serial number will be. Probably has some prototype number for testing purposes.
Nope

more likely PLM, DC, SDM, or ???
02-23-2017, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
hummm I dont see that much of a "similar vein" there.. When they released the 24-70mm you could actually tell that the lenses were really similar.. but with this 2.. i dont see it .. it actually follows how the D FA* 70-200 looks like..
People often see things through the prism of their own preconceptions, and studiously ignore the facts, even when the evidence is put before them. By way of contrast with this little canard, one poster in a Pentax Facebook thread, recently, was convinced that there was something of an animosity between Sigma and Pentax (Ricoh), but he had no evidence of it, just a feeling, because it explained why Sigma was withdrawing from offering new lenses in K-mount.
02-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #540
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Otis, or Sigma 85 art, and compare for myself, see what the difference is like if any
Both these lenses - and every lens I've seen measurements for - will be better two stops down.
Closed Thread